Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Are all the Spanish born with a hearing impediment

Are all the Spanish born with a hearing impediment

Old Jun 19th 2009, 2:23 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are all the Spanish born with a hearing impediment

Everywhere has noise and always has done, it just changes. lol

When I was a kid it was kids playing football in the street and general fun games.
Over the bomb sites to build dens and have catapult fights etc.
Christ, Saturday morning pictures at the local Odeon, now that was bloody noisey.
But the noise I remember most and you never hear now was when the local copper shouted out "I`ll be round to see your dad if you don`t bleeding behave" as we all ran off crapping ourselves.
How times change.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 2:26 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Everywhere has noise and always has done, it just changes. lol

When I was a kid it was kids playing football in the street and general fun games.
Over the bomb sites to build dens and have catapult fights etc.
Christ, Saturday morning pictures at the local Odeon, now that was bloody noisey.
But the noise I remember most and you never hear now was when the local copper shouted out "I`ll be round to see your dad if you don`t bleeding behave" as we all ran off crapping ourselves.
How times change.
we get that one here

and I'm told that if one gets caught they dob the others in, too
Old Jun 19th 2009, 2:32 pm
Banned

livit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nice

Originally Posted by fionamw
however my post was actually to do with Aguantar.

Anyone know any more about the notion that to complain is a sign of poor education? I'm sorely tempted to do a new thread because it could explain a great deal.
Relampago would be able to add the Spanish take on it.

If not I`m sure Rugbymatt can.

I`m sure there could be others hidden away on BE, hopefully there not to scared by it.

I don`t want to be the only one adding to it as then it seems as if its only me.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 2:39 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Can't help yerself can you Livit?
Old Jun 19th 2009, 3:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livit
Relampago would be able to add the Spanish take on it.

If not I`m sure Rugbymatt can.

I`m sure there could be others hidden away on BE, hopefully there not to scared by it.

I don`t want to be the only one adding to it as then it seems as if its only me.
I'll have a small go if you like. There is def an "aguantar" culture to some extent which leads to a deliberate lack of initiative. A few things I have heard/noticed that may explain it:
1. Spanish culture is one very much built up from village mentality and the ability to get on with ones neighbours. So, personal relationships and pleasantness are foremost in any interaction. If you complain or shout to someone about a service you have received you will be viewed as a nasty and unpleasnt person and will be dealt with with contempt. Spanairds mainly view people as people first and foremost - and representatives of a business only to a small extent. (note the language barrier confuses this a lot!)
2. Think Don Quixote. It was fashionable in those times for anyone with any means not to work but to live a nobel life of knowledge and/or religious devotion. Having to work and earn money would have been an embarrasment and proof that you had failed (and lead to demotion in social class - no longer "vuestra merced"). This lead to the middle class/nobels doing nothing all day and living in virtual poverty. It also caused an economic depression for 100 years or so Working too hard is still not so fashionable among some Spaniards I would say, much better to live within your means but work less. Too much work can be viewed as suspicious
3. The Franco period meant it was not worth while being a revolutionary. If you were against the system/society you were killed. Hence put up and shut up, try and make the best of it
4. I know many Spanish families put a protective barrier around their children and do not discuss unpleasant things with them e.g. if in money difficulties, if a relative is seriously ill etc. The Spanish family is very patriarcal/matriacal and it is the elders job to decide for and protect the others. Hence some young Spaniards may lack initiative until a much older age (say 30s-40s) when they have to take over this role themselves

All these things are changing in modern times, but it may explain behaviour or attitudes which some Brits may find perculiar

Last edited by cricketman; Jun 19th 2009 at 3:43 pm.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 4:12 pm
Banned

livit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nice

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Can't help yerself can you Livit?
Sorry.

I wasn`t having a dig.

You explained to me your previous OH was Baque and that you lived in a basque community.

So you`ll understand more than the typical Brit who has moved into Spain and could explain in more detail.

You carry more crediability than me, thats all.

I hoped you`d add something useful.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 4:22 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by cricketman

All these things are changing in modern times, but it may explain behaviour or attitudes which some Brits may find perculiar

Great pride is taken in avoiding paying certain items and getting ahead using money within Spain.

Only this week the Mercano singer Ana Torroja was arrested for tax fraud of 655,000.00 Euro`s.

Its not a criticism of Spain, its just how the culture has developed of many years.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 4:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Great pride is taken in avoiding paying certain items and getting ahead using money within Spain.

Only this week the Mercano singer Ana Torroja was arrested for tax fraud of 655,000.00 Euro`s.

Its not a criticism of Spain, its just how the culture has developed of many years.
At the same time tens of thousands of Brits resident in Spain dont declare any of their income to the Spanish tax authorities. I am not sure what you describe is particularly Spanish.

Just replace Ana Torroja with Lester Piggot or even Bono, who doesnt pay a penny of tax on his millions each year yet spends half the time asking us to give money to the poor...oh I forget, that is legal
Old Jun 19th 2009, 4:46 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

""but it may explain behaviour or attitudes which some Brits may find perculiar""

Interesting,after best part of 15 years in Spain I finally understand why Ive upset so many applecarts and apparently hurt so many ppls.feelings.

Always wondered why they took things so much to heart over a simple complaint that would be common practice in the UK and water on a ducks back.

Unfortunately I doubt if I can catch up with them all now to say sorry........
Old Jun 19th 2009, 4:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
""but it may explain behaviour or attitudes which some Brits may find perculiar""

Interesting,after best part of 15 years in Spain I finally understand why Ive upset so many applecarts and apparently hurt so many ppls.feelings.

Always wondered why they took things so much to heart over a simple complaint that would be common practice in the UK and water on a ducks back.

Unfortunately I doubt if I can catch up with them all now to say sorry........
Dont worry, but thanks for saying it helped. it makes me feel my post was worthwhile
Old Jun 19th 2009, 6:16 pm
Banned

Dont worry, but thanks for saying it helped. it makes me feel my post was worthwhile
I sent you Karma for your post.It was well written.If only BE contained more.

I can`t write and explain myself that well.

I`m not tryin to say that Spain is unique in crime.But many like and enjoy gettin away with connin the establishment and authority.

I knew an old Spanish guy who would place large cartons of milk under his trolley, nobody checked, he`d been nickin milk for decades.

He always gave some away to poorer families, great guy, sadly missed though.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Relampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond repute

Livit, you don't say more foolishness, because the racism, the corruption, the fraud...are international words, don't have nationality. So it parks your anti-Spanish prejudices, because you always bore with the same thing

Maybe it is because our democratic system is transparent, and it shows this. But that it shows this, it doesn't justify that here there is more corruption, fraud, etc that the one that can have another country. For example, the abuse to the women...Here have had several cases, but those prejudices of machismo have always existed against the countries of the southern Europe, when it is demonstrated that in Scandinavia it is where there is more abuse to the women
Old Jun 19th 2009, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Relampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond repute

Hence some young Spaniards may lack initiative until a much older age (say 30s-40s) when they have to take over this role themselves

It is that the times are not for to be independent. I remember that in the 80's, people became independent before...Why? Because for example a house didn't cost as now, everything was cheaper. And people could become independent before. It is also the salary...It is easier an independence winning 4000 € that winning 800 €. And more today in day, with the example that I have put you of the house + the life is today very expensive. Giving the example of a salary of 800 €, before a person could pay a house. Easily. But now...
Old Jun 19th 2009, 8:26 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

(SNIP) The number of posters on this thread who claim to have spanish connections is growing each day. WHY DO THEY DO IT??

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Jun 19th 2009 at 9:40 pm. Reason: Rule 1 please
Old Jun 20th 2009, 2:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sharon B
I can not believe your attitude!! I am not going to waste my time debating with someone so narrow minded but as someone who comes from immigrant ancestors I am shocked with your blatantly rascist comments.
Look

It is very ****ing not to speak the same language, because I don't dominate English very well. Maybe for this the reason for which doesn't understand what I say, or it is misinterpreted

I speak of the manifestations in some european countries where the muslims spoke of imposing the sharia and they harangued to the beheading of the infidels, and the Rumanian gipsies that are causing waves of robberies in Italy, for example. I refer to this type of people, because I have foreign neighbors and they are not as this people, they are nice

I remind you that your ancestors also emigrated. Do you Know some place where the Spaniards have spoken of imposing their customs, and for the force? If you know it, tell it to me. Your comparison is insulting

By the way, you don't make speculations about me, because you don't know nor my ideology nor to who I vote. And if you don't want to debate with me, is not my problem

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.