Reload this Page >

Algeciras Mechanic / Scrapping Car

Algeciras Mechanic / Scrapping Car

Old Mar 10th 2018, 6:40 am
Just Joined

chobson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Algeciras Mechanic / Scrapping Car

Hey,
I am on an extended holiday with a uk registered car.

I have had issues with my car braking down, it starts again for a while and then stops, recently only making 1km and now it is totally dead.

It is currently at the scrap yard in Algeciras, they are waiting to get authorisation from a Spanish body, from what I have read on other forums and sites, it can be hard to get approval, some conflicting info out there.

I am preparing for the worse that it can't be scrapped. My only other option is to try get it fixed and hope for not another brakedown in an awkard spot.

1. Can anyone recommend an English speaking mechanic near Algeciras?

This is has been pretty stressful. I don't have any recovery service that covers me in mainland Europe, I learn from mistakes!

Thanks
Old Mar 10th 2018, 7:03 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Algeciras Mechanic / Scrapping Car

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst myself and BEVS moderate Europe. Please read the Site Rules Site Rules | British Expatriate Community adhere to them so that the site runs smoothly. Moderators are there to ensure that the rules of BE are maintained. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Mar 10th 2018, 7:15 am
BE Enthusiast

olivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chobson
Hey,
I am on an extended holiday with a uk registered car.

I have had issues with my car braking down, it starts again for a while and then stops, recently only making 1km and now it is totally dead.

It is currently at the scrap yard in Algeciras, they are waiting to get authorisation from a Spanish body, from what I have read on other forums and sites, it can be hard to get approval, some conflicting info out there.

I am preparing for the worse that it can't be scrapped. My only other option is to try get it fixed and hope for not another brakedown in an awkard spot.

1. Can anyone recommend an English speaking mechanic near Algeciras?

This is has been pretty stressful. I don't have any recovery service that covers me in mainland Europe, I learn from mistakes!

Thanks
I have scrapped two UK cars here in Spain. You dont get much for them. Collected from home free or delivered to the yard a miserly 100 euros. The two cats were worth that. In both cases the paperwork was straightforward and they were yards well away from expat areas. I checked on uk website to make sure they were off the books.

Might be too late now but vehicle ownerforums are a wealth of info and usually have knowledgeable owners only too pleased to help. One issue with a car I am familiar with is crank sensor failure. It is a £70 item that screws into the outside of the engine and has a wire coming from it . Exposed to the elements. Not saying that is the problem with yours but could be something equally simple.

Cant help with a mechanic in your area. Hopefully someone else can.
Old Mar 10th 2018, 12:36 pm
Just Joined

Hey, I actually got nothing! But I am ok with that, I spoke with an Italian at the yard that had massive issues in getting a scrap yard to take on his italian car.

Thanks for the reassurance on your successes.

I think the car motor is actually really sound and it is likely something simple to fix, but I am worried with the car intermittently working that they will send me on my way thinking they have fixed for it, for it to brake down again in an awkward place and having to for out for towing. It would cost me more to fix car and drive it back and sell (not worth much) than to scrap.

If for whatever reason they can't scrap, I'll try get fixed :-) but with my no Spanish it will be hard to communicate.

If anyone has any leads on English speaking mechanics in Algeciras area that would be great :-)
Old Mar 10th 2018, 2:20 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chobson
If anyone has any leads on English speaking mechanics in Algeciras area that would be great :-)
Log into Google Maps and search for mechanic or garage. Pretty sure most will speak enough English to help you. Phone the nearest and phonetically ask "Habla inglais por fa vor"
Old Mar 10th 2018, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

yeah, I did something along those lines. I typed out my car problems then translated them with Google. I did visit a couple but it is difficult, explaining the nuances of the car.
Old Mar 10th 2018, 4:11 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

If in UK, I would phone nearest garage.
My car has broken down, can you come collect it and give an estimate for repair.
Why do you feel the need to say more?
If you really feel you need to explain in spanish, speak to a translation service.
Old Mar 10th 2018, 4:39 pm
Just Joined

Two mechanics have already said it was fixed and it wasn't, it is obviously easier to discuss issues and nuances with a detailed conversation because on the surface the car seems fine but then just stops and won't start for 2 days, repeat! And with no brake down cover for europe it is really stressful, live and learn!
Old Mar 10th 2018, 5:04 pm
Started off with nothing

. Good luck.
Old Mar 10th 2018, 8:38 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

So what car / engine / year / model etc.
What went wrong & what was repaired.
Describe the issue if you can as you never know someone may well have had the same & know a cheap fix.
Old Mar 11th 2018, 10:21 am
Just Joined

hey, it is at scrap yard currently waiting for authorisation, bought it for £200 and wouldn't get more than that to sell in uk and with not needing a car anymore, I went scrap route, it is a shame as I feel there is life in it for someone.

I am doing a bit of research on faults in case I don't get authorisation to scrap, and I think going to car vehicle forums is a good shout as suggested by olivefarmer.

Its a 2006 Vauxhall Astra, diesel, previous non diagnosed electrical issues which I thought was sorted, sound engine when running, no issues at all. I'll hit up vehicle boards.

peace all :-)