Reload this Page >

Advice for a relative that has Passed away

Advice for a relative that has Passed away

Old Mar 21st 2018, 3:52 am
Just Joined

davejh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice for a relative that has Passed away

Morning all,

Need some more help and advice if possible. I have posted a couple of other topics here, but just a brief outline: My mother lived in Alhaurin el Grande, Malaga. She lived there for 12 years. She was a Spanish resident. She owned a property (3 bed apartment). She has a will held by Del Prado's (in Alhaurin).

So, 3 weeks ago, just over, we medically repatriated Mum back to the UK as she was very poorly. She was diagnosed with ovarian cancer that was untreatable. Unfortunately Mum lost her fight and passed away Sunday morning.

Now, between my sister and I we have sorted out all this end (UK) - pensions, UK bank account, Passport etc. What I would like is some information regarding how to go about things in Spain, what we can expect, what needs to happen etc.

We know, unless something drastic has changed, that my Mother's Will, will leave everything equally to my Sister and I. I think we have decided to sell her apartment. I think we would both love to keep it, but we both have young children here with our own properties etc to maintain and I don't think either of us can afford to run another property.

We have been told we need some kind of form or certificate before the Spanish will deal with us. Anyone knows what this is or where we get it from?

And really and advice you can give us. We never thought we would have to deal with this so really other than contacting her solicitor and an estate agent we don't know what else to do or what to expect.

Thanks.
Old Mar 21st 2018, 7:11 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for a relative that has Passed away

Please accept my sincere condolences.

You will need to gain a NIE before anything can be dealt with and this can be obtained from the Spanish Embassy in London if you do not want to travel to Spain for it. The bank will probably require a letter/form from the solicitor stating that the last testament is the only one being held and they will need to see the will prior to dealing with the bank account.

Rosemary
Old Mar 21st 2018, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for a relative that has Passed away

My deepest condolences on your sad loss. You did so very well by her when she needed it most. May she rest in peace.

You will need an NIE, which is not a nightmare. From then on in, leave it to the Solicitor, that's what they are paid for. Just keep a watching brief on what's happening. As your Mother lived in Andalucia and you are a EU citizen at present, inheritance tax will not be an issue unless everything values at over one million euros, but that is all your business. I assume your Mother had a Spanish will, which makes things easier.

Do not try and 'drive anything, leave it to the Solicitor and you monitor remotely and try to visit Spain to check on progress. It's cheap and convenient to get to Malaga, and it gives the right message to those you have entrusted to sort it.

Good luck to you, and once again I am sorry for your loss.