Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

advice please re UK tv in Spain

advice please re UK tv in Spain

Old Apr 22nd 2013, 5:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: advice please re UK tv in Spain

Originally Posted by tommy.irene
Ok then were do you get your UkTV from then..
UK

If it is such an important part of your life emigrate to the UK
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 5:47 pm
Im a 77 year old nutcase

tommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
UK

I have been saying that to the wife for years now but she wont go..I get her UKTV for peace and quiet..And the question wasnt to you..It was to EMR.

Last edited by tommy.irene; Apr 22nd 2013 at 6:02 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 6:13 pm
Im a 77 year old nutcase

tommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond repute

Now while she watches Emmerdale and Corrie i can go and have a nice swim 36* here today.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 6:54 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

I get it from FREESAT and if it goes it goes, life is more than Corrie or Emmerdale.
If I wanted wall to wall UK TV I would stay there.
As and when a decent legal and honest Internet provider emerges and we can get a reliable connection then this may be an option for the future.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 8:04 pm
Im a 77 year old nutcase

Originally Posted by EMR
I get it from FREESAT and if it goes it goes, life is more than Corrie or Emmerdale.
If I wanted wall to wall UK TV I would stay there.
As and when a decent legal and honest Internet provider emerges and we can get a reliable connection then this may be an option for the future.
I agree ..but this thread is about UKTV in Spain and the two people want answers.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 7:24 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Giving them links to companies that could lose the ability to supply once the broadcasters get their acts together may not be the best advice.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 7:37 am
Im a 77 year old nutcase

Originally Posted by EMR
Giving them links to companies that could lose the ability to supply once the broadcasters get their acts together may not be the best advice.
Why is everyone full of Doom and Gloom. that they might lose their UKTV.. It wont happen..
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 7:42 am
EMR
Banned

What makes you so confident, I agree internet TV via the signal stealers may take some time to be bought under control to be hopefullyreplaced by an official subscription service. But there will still be many who will face the combination of no satellite reception and low internet speeds who will be affected.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
UK

It's not a question of it being 'important' part of life, it's a choice.
There's so much snobbery about watching TV. Nobody here would face any criticism if they were asking about books.
Back in the UK, quite nearby to my house was a Chinese family and every time I passed their house I could see this huge TV on which was showing what was obviously Chinese television. I'll bet the Chinese here in Spain, watch Chinese TV. I'm sure in none of these cases would they be told "If you want to watch Chinese TV then get back to China!".
It happens every time a "UK TV" question pops up. Some always respond with "why do you want it?" or "Get a life" etc etc.
No advice of course, just a chance to express their misplaced feelings of superiority.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 8:16 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tommy.irene
Why is everyone full of Doom and Gloom. that they might lose their UKTV.. It wont happen..
I think we're lucky to have that choice in the first place. If it goes away, well, it's not as though we are "entitled" to it. I think it's important to keep that in mind - as with many things we've been lucky enough to receive so far.

Besides, it's not going away, just harder to get. There will be legal ways that are simple, but require special and/or expensive kit, or illegal ways that may be cheap, but unreliable and of lesser quality or have other tradeoffs.

We can't always have our cake and eat it too. That's life. And that lesson extends to a lot more things than whether you can get UKTV or not.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 9:03 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

It would only take a large solar flare or two to knock out the satellites sitting in a geostationary orbit above the equator - the place where SES have all theirs parked - and this would have an enormous effect on the internet (which uses satellites) and also the television programs.

I have spent many years out of the uk and can never understand this clinging to the things that remind people of "home"
It is small wonder they get homesick and have to build their own little england around them
And they are only doing what they complain of about the UK, where the immigrants don't mix, don't want to learn the language and don't integrate in "our" ways

Old Apr 23rd 2013, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
It would only take a large solar flare or two to knock out the satellites sitting in a geostationary orbit above the equator - the place where SES have all theirs parked - and this would have an enormous effect on the internet (which uses satellites) and also the television programs.

I have spent many years out of the uk and can never understand this clinging to the things that remind people of "home"
It is small wonder they get homesick and have to build their own little england around them
And they are only doing what they complain of about the UK, where the immigrants don't mix, don't want to learn the language and don't integrate in "our" ways

Why do you make the general assumption that because someone wants to have the option to watch Uk tv that they build their own "little england" around them and don´t mix. I do agree with Bifta on this. I do hope Domino and Fred that you also read all your books in Spanish and speak Spanish all the time with no English at all. After all you are not back in the UK now!

My friend is Spanish born and bred but lived in England for several years. She is fluent in Spanish and English but would be lost without her UK tv and Corrie.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Plus why shouldn´t you be nostalgic for your home country. My son in law is a Kiwi, my daughter in law is Finnish, my nephew´s wife is Irish and the other nephew´s wife is Romanian. All of them live in the UK and all of them are happy but still love and are nostalgic for their "home" country. That is natural. But we digress. For me it is a wait and see. I certainly won´t miss Sky Sports but will save quite a bit of money each month. But God won´t the winter evenings be long and dull.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

losviv is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a general question, I live near Mazarron in Murcia. I have an old sky box(no HD) for one TV and a Freesat box for another TV, I still am able to get reception on Channel 5 etc. on the Sky box but not from the Freesat box, both are connected to my satelite dish(1.35), any ideas on why the difference?
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 10:09 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by losviv
Just a general question, I live near Mazarron in Murcia. I have an old sky box(no HD) for one TV and a Freesat box for another TV, I still am able to get reception on Channel 5 etc. on the Sky box but not from the Freesat box, both are connected to my satelite dish(1.35), any ideas on why the difference?
The guy can explain this better than I, but we have several types of boxes including a freesat box and a sky box, but the ones that provide the best reception of all channels are neither of those.

The best reception we get is with cheap €50 HD receivers, which receive all the free channels, all the time - including the HD channels. The Sky box can't get any of the 5's anymore, the 4's are rather blocky and unviewable. The freesat box is similar, although it seems to receive the 5's occasionally.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.