Reload this Page >

Advice on outgoings

Advice on outgoings

Old Apr 8th 2018, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

greatbaldo is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Advice on outgoings

Hi All

I am a new member and would like some advice if anyone can help.

My girlfriend and I are looking to retire to Spain in 12 months - 18 months time. We are looking around the the Costa Blanca area (not Benidorm or Torrevieja) we would like to ask what is the cost per month that you can live on. We will only have our pensions of £1000 month. Is this enough to live on after paying all the utility bills, (no mortgage or rent as we are buying a place)
We know that every household is different but could anyone give us a rough figure if possible.

Thank you

Greatbaldo
Old Apr 8th 2018, 4:08 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on outgoings

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst myself and BEVS moderate Europe. Please read the Site Rules Site Rules | British Expatriate Community adhere to them so that the site runs smoothly. Moderators are there to ensure that the rules of BE are maintained. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Apr 8th 2018, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by greatbaldo
Hi All

I am a new member and would like some advice if anyone can help.

My girlfriend and I are looking to retire to Spain in 12 months - 18 months time. We are looking around the the Costa Blanca area (not Benidorm or Torrevieja) we would like to ask what is the cost per month that you can live on. We will only have our pensions of £1000 month. Is this enough to live on after paying all the utility bills, (no mortgage or rent as we are buying a place)
We know that every household is different but could anyone give us a rough figure if possible.

Thank you

Greatbaldo
You could have a look at this summary :

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livin...United+Kingdom
Old Apr 8th 2018, 5:21 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

If you can live on 2X£1000 in UK then you ought to be able to have the same or slightly better in Spain.

As others have said many times do not rush to buy. Rent until you find the ideal location.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

Hi

Thank you for all the advice and help you have given.....
Old Apr 13th 2018, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

If you have 2 x 1000 pounds sterling a month to live on,believe me you will be a lot better off than many others resident here.
Old Apr 13th 2018, 9:14 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dougal03
If you have 2 x 1000 pounds sterling a month to live on,believe me you will be a lot better off than many others resident here.
Yup
Old Apr 15th 2018, 9:35 am
Just Joined

Wink Re: Advice on outgoings

Hi

I wrote it wrong and there is a misunderstanding (my fault)

We will have £1000 pounds a month in total between us , not each..

Does anyone know if that will be enough to live on ?????

Thank you

greatbaldo
Old Apr 15th 2018, 10:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

How long is a piece of string? It is all down to lifestyle etc. Personally for two I would not consider it and I don't lead a lavish lifestyle by any means. Do you intend having a car, will you both be entitled to an S1 for health care, do you intend socializing much if so how often etc. Basically if you manage in the UK on that amount and plan the same lifestyle then it should be enough. If you struggle on that amount in UK and think you will have a better lifestyle for less in Spain I would think again. Certain things in Spain are cheaper others dearer without specifics budget the same in both places is my advice.
Old Apr 15th 2018, 10:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

If you can escape from the obsession with owning a car, you CAN live on less. Personally I felt LIBERATED when I gave up my Model T !
Old Apr 15th 2018, 10:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
If you can escape from the obsession with owning a car, you CAN live on less
No doubt but depends upon location, needs and local transport links, non of which we can know
Old Apr 15th 2018, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

Get rid of the car & pick somewhere to live that has transport links,as I did.Also I personally think I am ,as an older person, not as good on the roads now as much younger drivers.How many people do you know that "can't bear to be without their wheels" yet are unfit to really be in charge of a vehicle when they are elderly?
Old Apr 15th 2018, 12:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The OP neither said they would or wouldn't require a car. My point was if they do it makes a difference to their expenditure. Surely though whether one has a car or not is down to personal choice etc, as is where one chooses to live. It is just one part of the equation to consider when determining how much one can live on. Hence my comment "how long is a piece of string" only the person holding it can determine that� ����
Old Apr 15th 2018, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Greatbaldo,

You say

"Is this enough to live on after paying all the utility bills"

Does that mean you know the cost of the utility bills?

Pity you ruled out Benidorm and Torrevieja. You may have had a prayer and more advice I guess.
You fail to give any info other than dosh needed but not as to area required, such as out in the sticks or city centre etc. Why?
Old Apr 20th 2018, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

Smithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by greatbaldo
Hi

I wrote it wrong and there is a misunderstanding (my fault)

We will have £1000 pounds a month in total between us , not each..

Does anyone know if that will be enough to live on ?????

Thank you

greatbaldo
For example - when applying for residency here in Gandia. €500 a month each if you own a property is the minimum requirement if you are a UK pensioner (2017). You should be able to live on this, more so than in the UK. It will help if you have a low maintenance property and a little savings to cover the unforeseen issues with property or a car etc.

Hope that helps

1000Pounds is currently 1140Euros you also need to think about currency fluctuations. You can live here I am sure on €1100, many Spanish earn this or less and have kids and an old car etc. What happens if the value of the pound goes down? Could you still live on €850 or 900?

Last edited by Smithy73; Apr 20th 2018 at 1:17 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.