Reload this Page >

Advice/Help needed for a Dog!

Advice/Help needed for a Dog!

Old Mar 7th 2018, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

davejh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice/Help needed for a Dog!

Hi all,

I posted a couple of weeks back about my mother being very ill in Alhaurin el Grande, near Malaga. Not going to go over everything that has happened, but we have got my mother back to the UK as she is terminally ill and has days/weeks to live.

The help I need now is that her sister (my Auntie) also lives in the same town. My Mum had a dog in Spain which my Auntie kindly took in when we had to get my Mum home. However, my Auntie now wants to come back to the UK permanently, she doesn't want to live out there on her own. She already has a house over here and wants to come back asap, but has my Mum's dog. She does not want to keep the dog permanently, she doesn't like dogs and only did it as a favour to us/my mum. Neither my Sister nor I for various reasons can keep the dog.

The dog is quite old so we felt that the best course of action would be to get my Auntie to take her to the vets and have her put to sleep, however the vet has told my Auntie that they will not put a healthy dog to sleep. Does anyone here know of anything we can do? My Auntie has also phoned rescue centers that the vet gave her telephone numbers of but had no luck. We are running a little out of options by the look of things.

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 7th 2018, 7:16 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice/Help needed for a Dog!

Where does your Aunt live. Try the local free papers + advert in Costa Blanca News?
Old Mar 8th 2018, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

rafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nice

You might try this organisation in Coin. http://www.animals-in-distress.eu/ I have no experience of them but, even if they can't take the dog, they might be able to advise.
Old Mar 8th 2018, 9:13 am
Headpoopscopper

HeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to say but why should a healthy dog put to sleep, we all moan about the spanish mistreating there dogs, when us brits are happy to be over here and then go home without there so called beloved pets. I am so sorry to hear about your mum and her sister but the dog did not ask to be a part time pet neither there are pet transporters why cant the family look after it?? I have pets and love them like my kids and would not leave either behind, no matter what, and yes we moved with pets one of our dogs had to be in quarantine for 6 month before pet passports came about.
of my soap box now
Old Mar 8th 2018, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

I take your points, but the OP and family probably do not know which way is 'up' at the moment, so in the scheme of all the stress they have been through, are going through and will have ahead of them, it may be that these are extenuating circumstances here. Hopefully they can get the dog adopted, in my area this would and has happened. Some rescue centres will take the animal in the hope of adoption, but its incumbent on the owner to make a decent 'donation.' This isn't an owner just discarding an animal, theres more than that going on in this particular case.Hopefully, the dog will be adopted at some stage.
And yes, I have two lovely dogs and cherish them dearly, but also live in the real World.

No offence meant at all.
Old Mar 8th 2018, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

catsndogs is an unknown quantity at this point

The Animals in distress are wonderful. We have had dogs from them love them to bits. They have a Charity shop in Alhaurin el Grande. It is on the other side of the road opposite Mercadonna, turn left and it is a short distance down. The people in there will help you.

Last edited by catsndogs; Mar 8th 2018 at 11:52 am. Reason: forgot to mention something
Old Mar 8th 2018, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by HeikeundAlan
Sorry to say but why should a healthy dog put to sleep, we all moan about the spanish mistreating there dogs, when us brits are happy to be over here and then go home without there so called beloved pets. I am so sorry to hear about your mum and her sister but the dog did not ask to be a part time pet neither there are pet transporters why cant the family look after it?? I have pets and love them like my kids and would not leave either behind, no matter what, and yes we moved with pets one of our dogs had to be in quarantine for 6 month before pet passports came about.
of my soap box now
Which family are you talking about? There is my sister and I. That's it. I have pets, love them to pieces but can't take on another dog. My sister had a dog for 9 years, but her daughter is scared of dogs so she can't take my Mum's dog on. My Mum didn't ask to leave the dog behind, but she has weeks to live and is in no fit state to do anything about it.

My Mum took her dog in as a stray nearly 13 years ago when she found it wandering the street. I am trying to do the right thing but don't know what the answer is. What am I supposed to do, just lock the door to the apartment and leave the dog outside? Your right the dog didn't ask to be a part time pet, but neither did my Mum ask to get cancer and have her life ended in a flash, you just have to make the best decision you can.
Old Mar 8th 2018, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rafikiphoto
You might try this organisation in Coin. Animals In Distress helping Stray, Abandoned Dogs & Cats I have no experience of them but, even if they can't take the dog, they might be able to advise.
Thanks. Tried them yesterday, but unfortunately the are full and can't suggest anything.
Old Mar 8th 2018, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

rafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nice

You could try Jane and Alan Brian at Pepi's Dog refuge in Pedrera. Explain the situation and be prepared to make a decent donation and they might be able to help. Home - Pepis Refuge Pepis Refuge
Old Mar 8th 2018, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davejh
Which family are you talking about? There is my sister and I. That's it. I have pets, love them to pieces but can't take on another dog. My sister had a dog for 9 years, but her daughter is scared of dogs so she can't take my Mum's dog on. My Mum didn't ask to leave the dog behind, but she has weeks to live and is in no fit state to do anything about it.

My Mum took her dog in as a stray nearly 13 years ago when she found it wandering the street. I am trying to do the right thing but don't know what the answer is. What am I supposed to do, just lock the door to the apartment and leave the dog outside? Your right the dog didn't ask to be a part time pet, but neither did my Mum ask to get cancer and have her life ended in a flash, you just have to make the best decision you can.
Well there you go, hence my post above,real world dilemma's. I hope it sorts for you, as I said, with most rescue centres the promise of a good donation may open doors. I know the dog is healthy, but as the animal is at least 13 years old, the preparation and actual journey / experience of any move to the UK may be a lot for it in any case. I hope it sorts for you.
Old Mar 8th 2018, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

Here's another dog refuge to try. You may have better luck with them
https://www.facebook.com/pg/anewdays...=page_internal

[email protected]

+34 667 94 76 71
Old Mar 8th 2018, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HeikeundAlan
of my soap box now
I'm not sure I would put a member of my family in quarantine for 6 months if I decided one day I wanted to live in another country