Reload this Page >

Advice on getting belongings shipped to Spain

Advice on getting belongings shipped to Spain

Old May 11th 2015, 10:38 pm
Just Joined

jasonpittman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on getting belongings shipped to Spain

Hello,
I will be moving to Spain next month I just got a job in Gibraltar and have to move with very short notice. I have decided on having my belonging shipped over rather than taking them in a van. I'm leaving most of my furniture apart from a book case, cot and a chest of drawers. I have about 25 boxes of belongings to ship.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good company i can use to ship this lot ? and does anybody have a rough idea on what I should end up paying ?

Thanking you in advance
Old May 11th 2015, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on getting belongings shipped to Spain

Originally Posted by jasonpittman
Hello,
I will be moving to Spain next month I just got a job in Gibraltar and have to move with very short notice. I have decided on having my belonging shipped over rather than taking them in a van. I'm leaving most of my furniture apart from a book case, cot and a chest of drawers. I have about 25 boxes of belongings to ship.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good company i can use to ship this lot ? and does anybody have a rough idea on what I should end up paying ?

Thanking you in advance
Big boxes? Small boxes? Total Volume?

Maybe a 1/2 container load, include your car? - Gibraltar is a sea port.
Old May 11th 2015, 11:03 pm
Just Joined

jasonpittman is an unknown quantity at this point

15 small boxes, 5 medium and 5 large, bookcase, chest of drawers and a cot. The cot is in pieces but the bookcase and chest of drawers are not the whole lot fits into a 40 square foot storage room. I have been ruthless and ditched loads of stuff to keep the amount down.

The house we will be renting is in Spain and I will commute to Gibraltar.
Old May 12th 2015, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

:
Originally Posted by jasonpittman
15 small boxes, 5 medium and 5 large, bookcase, chest of drawers and a cot. The cot is in pieces but the bookcase and chest of drawers are not the whole lot fits into a 40 square foot storage room. I have been ruthless and ditched loads of stuff to keep the amount down.

The house we will be renting is in Spain and I will commute to Gibraltar.
Good luck with that! Have you read the papers - have a look at the Gibraltar thread - particularly the older one.
Easily overcome though, check the Gib Police web site for the queue estimate at around 06:00 then phone your boss to say you will be 3,4 or sometimes up 7 hours late

Last edited by MikeJ; May 12th 2015 at 12:56 pm. Reason: addition
Old May 15th 2015, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

GEEGEEGIRL is on a distinguished road

hi Jason ive sent you a pm I think we can help you
Old May 16th 2015, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

We have 36 cubic metres going, costing 2,600 euros, insurance included, packing it ourselves
Old May 17th 2015, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

EllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond repute

Union, Jack, Removals, Europe, Albania, Andorra, Austria, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Kosovo, Latvia, Liechtenstein

I shipped a load of kitchen appliances down to Spain a few years ago with them ...highly recommended and reasonably priced
Old May 17th 2015, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with recommendations, is that for every good one there is usually someone who has used the same firm and who has a bad experience.
I am talking generally here, not about any specific firm.
Everyone will have a different experience.
Old May 19th 2015, 6:18 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neptuno
The problem with recommendations, is that for every good one there is usually someone who has used the same firm and who has a bad experience.
I am talking generally here, not about any specific firm.
Everyone will have a different experience.
Thats because with a lot of the removers they use subcontract teams. So just because you get a good service from a carrier, it doesnt mean that the next people get the same good service.

You have a good load there though. Be careful with your insurance if you are packing it yourself, make sure the ins company will cover you because if anything goes missing, the carrier will be signing for closed boxes. Buy a load of strong security tape so you can see if it has been tampered with. I wouldnt recommend anyone I'm afraid haveing been in the shipping and road transport business for years .... mainly for the reason I gave above.