6months UK 6months Spain

6months UK 6months Spain

Old Apr 19th 2016, 11:42 am
Just Joined

GlennLoz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 6months UK 6months Spain

Hiya

1st post.

wife and I have a new static caravan in UK where we go very weekend. We planning for our retirement which is still a few years away and looking ahead with a view selling our home in the UK, living in the caravan May to September then buying a property in Southern Spain for the Winter months, renting it out in the summer.

Does anyone else do this? Will we be free from Poll Tax etc.
We are very active/sociable - running/walking/drinking etc and been looking on the web where best to relocate - Andulucia seems the favourite up to now but it seems such a vast area. I don't fancy Marbella, nothing too touristy but on the coast with a small expat community.

Thanks
GlennLoz
Old Apr 19th 2016, 11:50 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6months UK 6months Spain

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Apr 19th 2016, 12:47 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GlennLoz
Hiya

1st post.

wife and I have a new static caravan in UK where we go very weekend. We planning for our retirement which is still a few years away and looking ahead with a view selling our home in the UK, living in the caravan May to September then buying a property in Southern Spain for the Winter months, renting it out in the summer.

We are very active/sociable - running/walking/drinking etc and been looking on the web where best to relocate - Andulucia seems the favourite up to now but it seems such a vast area. I don't fancy Marbella, nothing too touristy but on the coast with a small expat community.

Thanks
GlennLoz

Do you mean "will we have to pay council tax on our static home"? If so, then this is really a question for the UK forum.

Having a property in Spain comes with all the usual costs - maintenance, income tax, IBI (Spanish council tax - ish), basura (rates) etc.

Be very careful of the 183 day rule though or you may end up being deemed tax resident in Spain.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

Thanks - No I'm ok with the UK stuff - I will have a look at the 183 day rule on the net -
Old Apr 19th 2016, 3:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that so long as your static home in the UK is not a 12 month per year site then you do not pay council tax just site fees. If you are allowed to live in it 12 months Per year whether you do or not you would be liable to both site fees and council tax. As for 183 day rule for Spain quite simple realy do not spend more than 183 days in Spain between January the 1st and December 31 I.e. 6 months Per tax year.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 8:42 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GlennLoz
Hiya

1st post.

Thanks
GlennLoz
Hola

Try a little further along the coast - Costa de la Luz - From Tarifa to Ayamonte - could well fit your bill

Davexf
Old Apr 19th 2016, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding council tax, if the static caravan is your main residence in the UK then you will have to pay the tax. So if you want to avoid becoming tax resident in Spain you will have to spend more than 183 days in the UK - ergo this is your principal residence. You have to be resident somewhere.
Old Apr 20th 2016, 7:08 am
Just Joined

Thanks for all your responses, I will probably spending more time in the UK.
Dave, I will have a look at Costa de la Luz in detail - Thanks
Old Apr 20th 2016, 7:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeJ
Regarding council tax, if the static caravan is your main residence in the UK then you will have to pay the tax. So if you want to avoid becoming tax resident in Spain you will have to spend more than 183 days in the UK - ergo this is your principal residence. You have to be resident somewhere.
That is not correct. If the static site in the UK is not open for a full 12 months per year I.e. you have to vacate the site for one month or more per year, then you should not pay council tax. If it is full 12 months then yes as it is a residential site so council tax applies.Yes you must be fiscal resident somewhere that is different to physical resident. http://www.rowanwater.co.uk/useful-information/residential-vs-holiday/

Last edited by bobd22; Apr 20th 2016 at 8:02 am.
Old Apr 20th 2016, 9:55 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

My ex-neighbours did this and they found it suited their lifestyle perfectly.
Old Apr 20th 2016, 10:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by missile
My ex-neighbours did this and they found it suited their lifestyle perfectly.
Yes I know people too that happily do this without any issues.
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 10:24 am
Account Closed

Tadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond repute

The 183 rule is not the only test and it is not as black and white as people state or think

there are many others tests and options
centre of interest (property, family, dependants, business, place of work etc etc)
main source of income
dual residency
non fiscal residency in one country and fiscal residency in another
etc

speak to a UK accountant, hmrc and a Spanish accountant before you do anything

you must be resident somewhere even if you spend 1 month per year in 12 different countries
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tadd1966
you must be resident somewhere even if you spend 1 month per year in 12 different countries
Do you mean "you must be tax resident somewhere...."?

If so, it is not true. It is perfectly possible to not be liable for tax in any country.
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 9:23 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, that is perfectly possibly, but you must remember that income arising in one country will normally be taxed in that country irrespective of tax residency.

So, if you have income arising in the UK you will pay tax on it in the UK unless there is a tax treaty that allows it to be taxed in your country of tax residence. If you are not tax resident anywhere, then it will be taxed in the UK.
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Yes, that is perfectly possibly, but you must remember that income arising in one country will normally be taxed in that country irrespective of tax residency.
Quite true, and it is something many "Perpetual Travellers" ignore when they run their internet-based businesses etc. while they are in a country as a "tourist".

Your point touches on the fact that there is much confusion over the "183 day rule". Of course, this is the point at which (in many countries) an individual becomes liable for taxation on their worldwide income. Up until that point, the liability extends only to income arising in the country in which the individual is living.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.