Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

4G routers in Catalunya costal Area

4G routers in Catalunya costal Area

Old Mar 22nd 2018, 3:46 am
Just Joined

Psykalist is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 4G routers in Catalunya costal Area

I currently have a movistar/telefonica internet connection which is really poor quality in terms of speed and reliability. every time there seem to be high wind or a storm the lines somewhere get affected and my link dies.

Has anyone had a good experience with 4G routers?

I want to use it for quite heavy usage .. such as tv streaming and wnat to get an understanding of the reliability and costs that various contract option have.
Old Mar 24th 2018, 7:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4G routers in Catalunya costal Area

I use a 4g router (Huawei B310s-22) and in fact frequently chuck it in the car as a personal hotspot when travelling because it works on 12v and even on its internal antennas its reception is streets ahead of anything any phone could ever possibly achieve.

Assuming you have actually got 4g coverage your biggest problem though is likely to be in finding a provider who will give you the VERY fat data allowance you're going to need to support TV streaming in any practical and useful way because depending on quality a single half hour programme can sometimes consume half a Gb !

Regarding coverage; for any given location if you can get any 4g at all on a phone then again due to it's vastly superior antennas a router can give you quite surprising results.

In my own case I can barely get a sniff of 4g anywhere around my property on any of three LTE phones I have available but just on it's own the router clocks up between one and two bars and at times when network demand drops off that's enough to give speeds of over 20mb download and 10mb up.

Spurred on by that I put up a proper 4g LTE MIMO external antenna which bumped it up to a solid 3 bars and speeds of around 30mb both ways (upload speed it most affected by signal strength)

Whilst in Spain I rely on a 5gb EU roaming allowance on a 50gb/mth French SIM which at €9.99/mth is an absolute steal but it's 12 month deal which will need replacing in about 6 months time (goes up to €24.99/mth) so if anybody can point to the Spanish providers with the biggest data allowances then I know I'd be grateful and possibly the OP too.

Where I'm putting my new roots down in Spain just on a phone I got 60mb/20mb
Old Mar 24th 2018, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not in Catalunya but to give you an idea of price, I have a 4g router with amena which costs me 29€ per month for 40Gb. Then if I want to i can buy an extra 10Gb for 10€. I'm not an online gamer and while I watch the occasional film online I'm not a netflix addict so that is enough for me.
It's very fast and I'm more than happy with it.

The router was part of the deal and I could choose to pay either 80€ up front or to pay it off a few euros per month as part of the contract, which is what I'm doing. I've had it since last autumn and it's fine and as Notdunroamin says, one huge benefit is that you can take it with you if you go away.

Last edited by rachelk; Mar 24th 2018 at 9:38 am.
Old Mar 25th 2018, 4:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Was that a special offer because the best I'm seeing on the Amena site is €24,99 for 25gb ?
Old Mar 25th 2018, 7:23 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
I use a 4g router (Huawei B310s-22) and in fact frequently chuck it in the car as a personal hotspot when travelling because it works on 12v and even on its internal antennas its reception is streets ahead of anything any phone could ever possibly achieve.

Assuming you have actually got 4g coverage your biggest problem though is likely to be in finding a provider who will give you the VERY fat data allowance you're going to need to support TV streaming in any practical and useful way because depending on quality a single half hour programme can sometimes consume half a Gb !

Regarding coverage; for any given location if you can get any 4g at all on a phone then again due to it's vastly superior antennas a router can give you quite surprising results.

In my own case I can barely get a sniff of 4g anywhere around my property on any of three LTE phones I have available but just on it's own the router clocks up between one and two bars and at times when network demand drops off that's enough to give speeds of over 20mb download and 10mb up.

Spurred on by that I put up a proper 4g LTE MIMO external antenna which bumped it up to a solid 3 bars and speeds of around 30mb both ways (upload speed it most affected by signal strength)

Whilst in Spain I rely on a 5gb EU roaming allowance on a 50gb/mth French SIM which at €9.99/mth is an absolute steal but it's 12 month deal which will need replacing in about 6 months time (goes up to €24.99/mth) so if anybody can point to the Spanish providers with the biggest data allowances then I know I'd be grateful and possibly the OP too.

Thanks for the information.. really appreciate it.

I was able to get 2 bars on 4g at the house but would consider a proper antenna to get even faster download.. the problem as you mentioned is getting a plan with enough data.
Old Mar 25th 2018, 7:25 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rachelk
I'm not in Catalunya but to give you an idea of price, I have a 4g router with amena which costs me 29€ per month for 40Gb. Then if I want to i can buy an extra 10Gb for 10€. I'm not an online gamer and while I watch the occasional film online I'm not a netflix addict so that is enough for me.
It's very fast and I'm more than happy with it.

The router was part of the deal and I could choose to pay either 80€ up front or to pay it off a few euros per month as part of the contract, which is what I'm doing. I've had it since last autumn and it's fine and as Notdunroamin says, one huge benefit is that you can take it with you if you go away.
Thanks for the information.. I had not heard of the provider and will check them out.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Was that a special offer because the best I'm seeing on the Amena site is €24,99 for 25gb ?
This appears to confirm it and even better, the 30€ for 40Gb but plus 20Gb, not 10, for the extra 10€

https://tiendaonline2.amena.com/tarifas/amena-en-casa

It was easy to do, you don't need anyone to come out and install it, the router arrived within a few days and was easy to set up.

Highly recommended.

Edited to add: It works from the Orange network if you want to check coverage.

Last edited by rachelk; Mar 26th 2018 at 7:48 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

That deal sounds like it could work.. thanks for getting the updated details.. I am sure this is a fluid market but the bundles are going in the right direction..

Do you ever have outages ? The issue I have with my landline adsl connection is that the line drops frequently and sometime it doesn't come back up , then telefonica tell me I have to reboot the router.. which is not always possible as I am not always at the location. Does 4G router have any issues like this?
Old Mar 27th 2018, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

No, I haven't had outages. Occasionally i've had to reboot the router (once in a blue moon) but the 4g coverage is good here - check Orange's 4g coverage where you are to be sure.

I originally took the service while in Madrid because of the imposibility of coordinating with the technician to install fibre optic. It turned out to be a good thing, because although I intended to be in Madrid long term at the time, I am now in Córdoba and will be moving to the coast after the summer, so the fact that I can take it with me means I haven't had to break contract or pay for a new installation there.
Old Mar 28th 2018, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to all

Hi, what MIMO antenna are you using ? I’m looking to improve signal on Huawei 593 router, currently about 10mb on 4G on Vodafone Portugal. For interest current offer here is 100 Gb a month for €25. J