Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

10 things you are missing out on if you don't live in Spain!

10 things you are missing out on if you don't live in Spain!

Old Jan 18th 2014, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 10 things you are missing out on if you don't live in Spain!

Originally Posted by tebo53
Just been looking up 'Southland' Seems like they are cancelling series 6 for whatever reasons!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3255136.html
Yes, I'd heard that. I think it's a shame as it was really good, but sometimes these things can go on too long and maybe they want to quit whilst they're ahead.
Old Jan 18th 2014, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
I always thought that tv had more importance in the UK because people spent much of their free time indoors on the couch. The impression I got was that people in Spain spent far more time away from home (if only watching La Liga in the bar) and so programmes weren't such a big part of people's lives. Although you get the culebrones or other c***, you couldn't imagine a programme like Eastenders affecting people the way it does to so many in the UK
Yet it does seem as though the right television programme can have a big effect in Spain. According to this, the sales of home sewing machines soared 176% after the success of a mini-series called “El Tiempo Entre Costuras”

http://www.chicoer.com/business/ci_2...ps-show-spains
And maybe one of the reasons why they don't really have takeaways in as many as in UK, Its just as cheap to eat out but the point you made hits it on the head - simply there is nothing really to stay in for.

I do miss my takeaways but maybe that is cos I am still attached to UKTV or the footie.

The flip side, and I don't do it often but if you have a meal in a Brit bar and some Gladys is behind the ramp, the chances are you could have Eastenders or Corrie on the TV

Spanish people I have met, do not understand why the UK is full of couch potatoes, I suppose the same as the States where the quality of TV is so much better, but you can easily like I have live without it.
Old Jan 18th 2014, 7:47 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

I always thought that tv had more importance in the UK because people spent much of their free time indoors on the couch. The impression I got was that people in Spain spent far more time away from home (if only watching La Liga in the bar) and so programmes weren't such a big part of people's lives. Although you get the culebrones or other c***, you couldn't imagine a programme like Eastenders affecting people the way it does to so many in the UK
Yet it does seem as though the right television programme can have a big effect in Spain. According to this, the sales of home sewing machines soared 176% after the success of a mini-series called “El Tiempo Entre Costuras”

http://www.chicoer.com/business/ci_2...ps-show-spains
I would have thought that anyone who has spent a fair amount of time amongst Spanish families would be aware that they are almost equally obsessed with soaps,quiz programmes, football, bingo and celebs as most Brits.
Maybe the only plus point is that their celebs don't make as much front page news in Spanish tabloids as occurs in the UK, but there again they get more than their fair share of exposure on Spanish TV.
Old Jan 19th 2014, 10:57 pm
Just Joined

pdub4trike is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lynn R
I agree - I wouldn't want to buy or rent a property anywhere close to the public rubbish bins here. Where I live, other neighbours/family members will always ask any elderly people living near them if they want their rubbish taking down when they're taking their own - I do it myself, although they often say no as they like to be independent.

Not having space to store all the wheelie bins is a real problem for a lot of people in the UK, it makes streets of terrace houses look a real mess with all the bins outside the front doors.
I don't know where you live but I've been living in Spain for 14 years now and my rubbish is collected every second morning at around 6.30am (and no, they don't make a lot of noise) and we have big bins in the nearest town if we want to get rid of recyclable stuff.
Re all the coffee remarks - there is absolutely no comparison between coffee here and in the UK: it's wonderful here and very cheap.
As for the idiot who mentioned us sitting here eating inside with out air conditioning on, he obviously hasn't spent a lot of time in Spanish homes. We eat outside all summer long and enjoy it!!
Old Jan 20th 2014, 5:24 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pdub4trike
I don't know where you live but I've been living in Spain for 14 years now and my rubbish is collected every second morning at around 6.30am (and no, they don't make a lot of noise) and we have big bins in the nearest town if we want to get rid of recyclable stuff.
Re all the coffee remarks - there is absolutely no comparison between coffee here and in the UK: it's wonderful here and very cheap.
As for the idiot who mentioned us sitting here eating inside with out air conditioning on, he obviously hasn't spent a lot of time in Spanish homes. We eat outside all summer long and enjoy it!!
Wow! That's posh!

We don't have rubbish pickup. They have bins every 200 meters or so (in the town). You have to bring your rubbish to a bin. If you live outside a town, you have to drive it into town. They empty the bins every 3 days or so.

For this we pay about €300 per year.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

I live in the administrative capital of La Axarquia, east of Malaga. We have a mixture here of subterranean metal bins (in the town centre) which are great, and the old style bins (plus recycling ones for plastic, paper, glass, old clothes and shoes, and cooking oils). All the household rubbish ones are emptied every night of the year (starting around 11pm), all public holidays included. Such problems as we have aren't because of the collection systems, they are the fault of some lazy people who just dump things beside the bins instead of putting them inside or, in the case of large items, using the other arrangements which are available (free) to have them collected.

I would have a hard job sitting inside with the air conditioning on in summer, as after 7 years here I still haven't felt the need to instal it!
Old Jan 20th 2014, 7:38 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jan 20th 2014, 7:07 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
I live in the administrative capital of La Axarquia, east of Malaga. We have a mixture here of subterranean metal bins (in the town centre) which are great, and the old style bins (plus recycling ones for plastic, paper, glass, old clothes and shoes, and cooking oils). All the household rubbish ones are emptied every night of the year (starting around 11pm), all public holidays included. Such problems as we have aren't because of the collection systems, they are the fault of some lazy people who just dump things beside the bins instead of putting them inside or, in the case of large items, using the other arrangements which are available (free) to have them collected.

I would have a hard job sitting inside with the air conditioning on in summer, as after 7 years here I still haven't felt the need to instal it!
agree Lynn, ours emptied daily except Saturday, usually in the late evening.

biggest problem we have is that our paper/card recycle bins - which are much fewer, are always full with cardboard boxes from local shops. new chinese place doesn't even bother, dumps it all in the nearest bin that's empty.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Relampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Little surprise given that the BBC's budget is 100 times more than that of Spanish state television

The BBC makes probably one or two excellent programmes a year which then are very successful across the world. The rest is rubbish. And the news and current affairs are so patronising that I cant watch for more than 2 minutes.

They could learn from programmes like Salvados, but I doubt the Tories would let them make such a programme
Also I have to say that the Spanish television 70s , but mostly 80s, was much better than today. Now, except TV2 , with nature documentaries or programs like " Salvados " (from LaSexta ) and some cable networks (but foreign , as " Odyssey" , " History " , etc etc) the rest is garbage. The programming of the late 70s , the 80s and early 90s was outstanding. For example , nature documentaries like " El hombre y la tierra ", 1973 to 1980 (these videos are of " El hombre y la tierra: fauna iberica ", 1975-1978) of our dear Felix Rodriguez de la Fuente. I have seen many documentaries on nature, but I have not seen anything similar to what did Dr. Felix Rodriguez de la Fuente, what is his narrative, his staging action scenes, etc etc ... In his documentary , the actors were animals. In its time, " El hombre y la tierra " had more awards than " National Geographic "

In addition, there was even more variety of foreign programming . For example, many British series. I remember some, like " Andy Robson ", " Benny Hill ", " George & Mildred (In Spain, " Los Roper ") etc etc etc. Are some examples

Last edited by Relampago; Jan 24th 2014 at 2:06 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 5:05 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

I like the old Spanish films from the 70s, often with a touch of humour as well as giving a bit of a feel for how things were back then.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 5:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
I like the old Spanish films from the 70s, often with a touch of humour as well as giving a bit of a feel for how things were back then.
Certainly up until Franco's death, you saw what the censor wanted you to see, it was very heavily censored. Many of the directors that were banged up or murdered by the Franco regime didn't see the humourous side of it!
Old Jan 24th 2014, 6:40 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by agoreira
Certainly up until Franco's death, you saw what the censor wanted you to see, it was very heavily censored. Many of the directors that were banged up or murdered by the Franco regime didn't see the humourous side of it!

I don't recall any from that time with strong or even any political overtones, so maybe that explains it.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 11:42 am
Just Joined

Nutella741 is an unknown quantity at this point

Beaches!
Old Feb 5th 2014, 12:07 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutella741
Beaches!
Has to be said there are many impressive beaches in the UK too. Maybe you mean water warm enough to swim in for 4-6 months of the year?
Old Feb 5th 2014, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Has to be said there are many impressive beaches in the UK too. Maybe you mean water warm enough to swim in for 4-6 months of the year?
A handful maybe are clean enough too, lucky if you get 4-6 days.

Talking of beaches, I have a couple of sunbeds just like they sell space for on the beach, I can just take them with me to the beach rather than pay for one.

Its ok if your on holiday but they can be expensive if you live here and plan to go often.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.