Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

10 things you are missing out on if you don't live in Spain!

10 things you are missing out on if you don't live in Spain!

Old Jan 17th 2014, 8:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 10 things you are missing out on if you don't live in Spain!

Originally Posted by agoreira
Agree, most is rubbish, as is a lot of UK content, but I enjoy a few programmes, particularly like Comando Actualidad, Salvados, some of the wildlife programmes. I watch very little UK TV, but it seems to be incredibly successful all over the world, many programmes have been sold to over 100 countries, years ago Spain even had Mr Bean (they had their own then) and even Fawlty Towers (Manuel was Italian!). I've never seen Sherlock, but I was reading in the Spanish press how they were raving about it, thought it was brilliant. I think the BBC is still a world leader in wildlife series, some of it is brilliant. Can't think of any Spanish programmes exported to UK.
Little surprise given that the BBC's budget is 100 times more than that of Spanish state television

The BBC makes probably one or two excellent programmes a year which then are very successful across the world. The rest is rubbish. And the news and current affairs are so patronising that I cant watch for more than 2 minutes.

They could learn from programmes like Salvados, but I doubt the Tories would let them make such a programme
Old Jan 17th 2014, 9:54 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Little surprise given that the BBC's budget is 100 times more than that of Spanish state television

The BBC makes probably one or two excellent programmes a year which then are very successful across the world. The rest is rubbish. And the news and current affairs are so patronising that I cant watch for more than 2 minutes.

They could learn from programmes like Salvados, but I doubt the Tories would let them make such a programme
Yet another testament to why everything not Spanish is rubbish... naturally, from our resident expert on all things planet earth.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 10:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
Yet another testament to why everything not Spanish is rubbish... naturally, from our resident expert on all things planet earth.
No, just an example of why the BBC is not so wonderful

Spanish TV is terrible, but then most TV is terrible including the BBC
Old Jan 17th 2014, 10:31 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

I personally don't believe it's fair to the public to be burdened with paying TV licences. It sets a platform for all kinds of less-than-transparent political activity, fund-siphoning, and other dubious exercises. I believe broadcasters should all sink or swim.

But having said that, if you were actually as worldly as you like to believe you are, you would quickly discover that as compulsory-public-funded TV goes, BBC is about the best there is. It doesn't get much better. They are at least allowed to be very critical of government and operate pretty independently.

If you need a reference, you might check out German public TV (GEZ), and the public funding system behind it (tax). It's not so different than church tax, which results in this kind of thing.

And although it's at risk of you actually believing the crap they broadcast, if you want to see top grade government-run TV in action, try RT. Only on RT will you discover that only Russia is more of a utopia of transparency and fairness than even Spain. And by the way, as a PR expert, surely you will appreciate the masterful spin they put on everything. RT is amongst the masters of spin in this world. They are absolutely brilliant at it.

Still hate BBC?
Old Jan 17th 2014, 11:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Still hate BBC?
I worked for the BBC for 2 years

I like what the BBC stand for, but their content has gotten worse and worse over the years and the organisation is bloated with middle managers who do little more than play politics within the organisation to further their own careers
Old Jan 17th 2014, 12:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Somethings never change! I'm not a big fan of BBC, but it's export success of many of it's programmes to hundreds of countries would suggest it makes a few more good programmes than two. However, it's another example of the rest of the world being out of step, only CM is the one in step! Remind us, which Spanish TV programmes are sold to over a hundred countries, lots of the BBC's do.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 1:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Somethings never change! I'm not a big fan of BBC, but it's export success of many of it's programmes to hundreds of countries would suggest it makes a few more good programmes than two. However, it's another example of the rest of the world being out of step, only CM is the one in step! Remind us, which Spanish TV programmes are sold to over a hundred countries, lots of the BBC's do.
If you'd bothered to have read my post, you would see that I agree with you
Old Jan 17th 2014, 8:33 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Can't think of any Spanish programmes exported to UK.
I think it would be nice if the best of them were seen in the UK, along with the best from all other European countries.

Much better than that endless stream of crap that finds it's way across the Atlantic.

Personally I don't mind one bit reading sub-titles if needs be and providing the quality is good enough, though I presume that is the main reason we don't get to see them.

I believe there were a few mainly European drama productions in the early days of BBC2 and most of those I have seen since, knock that American pap into a cocked hat, IMHO of course.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 9:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
I think it would be nice if the best of them were seen in the UK, along with the best from all other European countries.
Much better than that endless stream of crap that finds it's way across the Atlantic.
Personally I don't mind one bit reading sub-titles if needs be and providing the quality is good enough, though I presume that is the main reason we don't get to see them.
I believe there were a few mainly European drama productions in the early days of BBC2 and most of those I have seen since, knock that American pap into a cocked hat, IMHO of course.
As I say, I watch very little TV, but I can't think of a single US programme I have ever rated, although TBH I've watched very very few. I'm sure someone will come up with some great US TV, but I can't think of any. It's probably me, most films do very little for me. I watched "20 Years a Slave" recently on a hookey site, and being totally ignorant about films and what is doing the rounds, I didn't realise it was new. I see now it is up for all manner of awards, I thought it was watchable, quite reasonable, but surprised to see all it's nominations.
Old Jan 18th 2014, 8:45 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

I always thought that tv had more importance in the UK because people spent much of their free time indoors on the couch. The impression I got was that people in Spain spent far more time away from home (if only watching La Liga in the bar) and so programmes weren't such a big part of people's lives. Although you get the culebrones or other c***, you couldn't imagine a programme like Eastenders affecting people the way it does to so many in the UK
Yet it does seem as though the right television programme can have a big effect in Spain. According to this, the sales of home sewing machines soared 176% after the success of a mini-series called “El Tiempo Entre Costuras”

http://www.chicoer.com/business/ci_2...ps-show-spains

Amazon says sales of sewing machines in this country have soared an “astonishing” 176 percent since last October, when Spanish television began broadcasting a wildly popular new television drama that follows the story of a young seamstress during dictator Francisco Franco's rise to power in the 1930s.
Old Jan 18th 2014, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

As I say, I watch very little TV, but I can't think of a single US programme I have ever rated, although TBH I've watched very very few. I'm sure someone will come up with some great US TV, but I can't think of any. It's probably me, most films do very little for me. I watched "20 Years a Slave" recently on a hookey site, and being totally ignorant about films and what is doing the rounds, I didn't realise it was new. I see now it is up for all manner of awards, I thought it was watchable, quite reasonable, but surprised to see all it's nominations.
You might have been watching the wrong film if you saw "20 Years a Slave", the one which is nominated for all the awards is "12 Years a Slave".

Great US tv shows - yes, there have been quite a few. Most recently Breaking Bad, Homeland, The West Wing.
Old Jan 18th 2014, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

lutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
I always thought that tv had more importance in the UK because people spent much of their free time indoors on the couch. The impression I got was that people in Spain spent far more time away from home (if only watching La Liga in the bar) and so programmes weren't such a big part of people's lives. Although you get the culebrones or other c***, you couldn't imagine a programme like Eastenders affecting people the way it does to so many in the UK
Yet it does seem as though the right television programme can have a big effect in Spain. According to this, the sales of home sewing machines soared 176% after the success of a mini-series called “El Tiempo Entre Costuras”
Off topic but it cracks me up... Loads of people don't like to admit they like or watch EE. Happens quite a lot on quiz programmes - even though they get the right answer! Seems to be a snobby thing.

My OH watches it so I get the gist of the storylines etc. I actually think it's an appalling soap, mostly because of the predictable and amateurish scripts.
Not sure why it wins awards - probably because people like 'in yer face' TV.
Old Jan 18th 2014, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
You might have been watching the wrong film if you saw "20 Years a Slave", the one which is nominated for all the awards is "12 Years a Slave".

Great US tv shows - yes, there have been quite a few. Most recently Breaking Bad, Homeland, The West Wing.
I downloaded '12 years a Slave' off t'internet, Fantastic film and highly recommended.
Just watching US series 'The Blacklist' also well worth a look if you like American crime series.
Old Jan 18th 2014, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tebo53
I downloaded '12 years a Slave' off t'internet, Fantastic film and highly recommended.
Just watching US series 'The Blacklist' also well worth a look if you like American crime series.
I haven't seen the film yet, undecided about watching it as I fear it may be too upsetting.

Thanks for the heads-up about 'The Blacklist', I hadn't heard of that one. Did you see 'Southland' (only shown on More4, I think), we really enjoyed that.
Old Jan 18th 2014, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
I haven't seen the film yet, undecided about watching it as I fear it may be too upsetting.

Thanks for the heads-up about 'The Blacklist', I hadn't heard of that one. Did you see 'Southland' (only shown on More4, I think), we really enjoyed that.
Just been looking up 'Southland' Seems like they are cancelling series 6 for whatever reasons!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3255136.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.