British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   10 things you are missing out on if you don't live in Spain! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/10-things-you-missing-out-if-you-dont-live-spain-821407/)

agoreira Jan 14th 2014 9:08 am

Re: 10 things you are missing out on if you don't live in Spain!

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 11076641)
In a small town in Castilla-La Mancha where I lived,

I thought we were going to have a bit of Don Quijote then! :rofl:
En un lugar de la Mancha, de cuyo nombre no quiero acordarme

steviedeluxe Jan 14th 2014 9:17 am

Originally Posted by cricketman (Post 11077517)
I couldnt be arsed to say anything constructive

Its like trying to tell someone that fish fingers arent the definition of high cuisine

Although I do love a fish finger sandwich

With brown sauce! :p

amideislas Jan 14th 2014 9:35 am

Originally Posted by cricketman (Post 11077517)
I do love a fish finger sandwich

Blimey! McDonald's sells them (well, the equivalent anyway). Still like them?

No doubt McD's makes "bad" fish sandwiches.

cricketman Jan 14th 2014 10:16 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 11077596)
Blimey! McDonald's sells them (well, the equivalent anyway). Still like them?

No doubt McD's makes "bad" fish sandwiches.

If McDs served the fish in proper bread rather than sugar filled rubbery baps, then I may be tempted

Otherwise, I'll stick to fritos de merluza o piscin with alioli ;)

I have nothing against McDs other than the food is cr*p. If they started selling good food then I would go, no problem at all. I even like burgers, but not their cheap and nasty versions where you can only taste sugar

Dick Dasterdly Jan 14th 2014 11:46 am

Originally Posted by cricketman (Post 11077633)
If McDs served the fish in proper bread rather than sugar filled rubbery baps, then I may be tempted

I have nothing against McDs other than the food is cr*p. If they started selling good food then I would go, no problem at all. I even like burgers, but not their cheap and nasty versions where you can only taste sugar

Surely you don't expect to get a decent one in a backward country like Spain.
You need to go to the good ole US of A and sample the real thing. ;)

cricketman Jan 14th 2014 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 11077761)
Surely you don't expect to get a decent one in a backward country like Spain.
You need to go to the good ole US of A and sample the real thing. ;)

Or Russia perhaps...

In Madrid hamburgers without the bun are called "filete ruso"

la mancha Jan 14th 2014 12:53 pm

CM. Thanks for calling me ignorant or arrogant and telling me I can buy a Greggs’ sausage roll cheaply in the UK. I am only telling you incidents from my personal experience. If you don’t like it, it doesn’t change anything because they still happened. As for sausage rolls, I am a vegetarian so I wouldn’t know the price.

And to SD who thinks I get a ‘large vaguely milky drink’. I told you, when I am in Notting Hill or Camden or any such place, I am given a choice of milk, be it ordinary, soya, rice etc. Nothing against these outlets but I do not use Starbucks or Greggs. There are plenty of private bakers who offer a service.

Quantity versus quality? Again you are implying that coffee in the UK is second class and I am telling you it is not because I drink it, personal experience again. I do not go to an establishment because they sell the largest coffee. What a stupid thing to imply. I go in when I want a coffee, wherever it is.

cricketman Jan 14th 2014 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 11077855)
Quantity versus quality? Again you are implying that coffee in the UK is second class and I am telling you it is not because I drink it, personal experience again. .

I used to hang around Notting Hill as well. It doesnt matter how much they charge for the coffee, it is still rubbish

I was talking to a guy who was a purchasing manager for a coffee chain, he said coffee beans that come to the UK are normally much weaker than in Italy or Spain as Brits cant cope with strong coffee

Spanish people in the UK normally call British coffee "agua sucia"

stuboy Jan 14th 2014 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by cricketman (Post 11077936)
I used to hang around Notting Hill as well. It doesnt matter how much they charge for the coffee, it is still rubbish

I was talking to a guy who was a purchasing manager for a coffee chain, he said coffee beans that come to the UK are normally much weaker than in Italy or Spain as Brits cant cope with strong coffee

Should that not be 'agua sucio'?

Lynn R Jan 14th 2014 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by stuboy (Post 11077972)
Should that not be 'agua sucio'?

No, actually it shouldn't. Agua is a feminine noun, it's just that "el" is used with it instead of "la", see here for explanation:-
http://spanish.about.com/od/adjectives/a/el_for_la.htm

Hence cold water is "agua fria".

amideislas Jan 14th 2014 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by cricketman (Post 11077633)

The defence rests, your honour.

jackytoo Jan 14th 2014 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by cricketman (Post 11077936)

I know you are an I've been everywhere man but are you saying you have tried every coffee shop in Notting Hill:blink: many residents there have travelled the world and are in a position to be choosy about coffee. in the UK there is a vast choice of beans...far more than in Spain!

cricketman Jan 14th 2014 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by jackytoo (Post 11078069)
I know you are an I've been everywhere man but are you saying you have tried every coffee shop in Notting Hill:blink: many residents there have travelled the world and are in a position to be choosy about coffee. in the UK there is a vast choice of beans...far more than in Spain!

The "illusion of choice" is a well known marketing trick. And the UK is the mecca of marketing expecially when it comes to food

Of course I havent been to every cafe in Noting Hill, and anyway, places in London tell to shut down and rebrand every few years

There may be the odd place that does good coffee, I found one Portuguese place when I was there, but they will be in the very small minority

If they made good coffee in London, then I may never have left! :D

la mancha Jan 14th 2014 4:35 pm

First, I never ‘hang around’ anywhere: I go to Notting Hill on business. That’s all. If you used to hang around this area then that is your business.

So now you are an expert on coffee? Is anyone supposed to take you seriously when you say the coffee in this area of London is rubbish? I am in the area now and I know from both here and in Spain but you, the coffee expert, the expert on all things, you are telling me the coffee is rubbish.
You take your expertise from ‘a guy who is a purchasing manager for a coffee chain’? A coffee chain? This is where you get your expertise from? You’re having a laugh, aren’t you? Of course, if there was such a man, he will buy the cheapest coffee. If I went to a coffee chain then that is what I would expect but to tar every coffee house in the UK with the same brush just shows how much your ‘expertise’ is worth.

When I go to one of these places I am asked what coffee I want and there is a choice from South America, Africa or Asia. I can choose what I like, be it weak or strong. Maybe the Spanish people who call British coffee ‘agua sucia’ should try a coffee house other than the cheapest.

stuboy Jan 14th 2014 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Lynn R (Post 11077998)
No, actually it shouldn't. Agua is a feminine noun, it's just that "el" is used with it instead of "la", see here for explanation:-
http://spanish.about.com/od/adjectives/a/el_for_la.htm

Hence cold water is "agua fria".

Thanks Lynn, no wonder I always get beer when I ask for a cool glass of refreshing water:sneaky: