Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa > South Africa
Reload this Page >

Where 2 live, Gambia or Cape Verde??

Where 2 live, Gambia or Cape Verde??

Old Dec 5th 2016, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

Kamunha is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Where 2 live, Gambia or Cape Verde??

My husband is working in Mali, and we love to be together as much time as we can, so... we have decided to make Africa our home-base.

We wish to live somewhere beautiful and peaceful, where we can build our own home closed to the ocean, yet not too far from civilisation.

Since ones a month he needs to fly back and forth, we are thinking of one of the islands of Cape Verde or Gambia, but we have not yet been there.
We are planning an adventurous trip for January ยด17 to experience and decide.

If you would have the choice...
Could you please tell us, where would you live and why?

Any tips or ideas, are most welcome!

Thank you sooo very much in advance!
Old Dec 6th 2016, 7:06 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where 2 live, Gambia or Cape Verde??

I dont think the islamic republic of the maldives welcomes immigrants unless they are relatives of citizens? The gambia has i understnd some major crime issues, but might be more welcoming. Only holidayed there, and that was alarming enough.
Old Dec 6th 2016, 7:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
I dont think the islamic republic of the maldives welcomes immigrants unless they are relatives of citizens?
I'm intrigued - where were the Maldives mentioned?!
Old Dec 7th 2016, 6:49 am

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

They werent, sorry, my mistake, having a sight issue temporarily. Cape verde is quite pleasant, i lived on sal for 6 months once, dry as a moonscape but friendly people, not bad infrastructure and marvellous fishing/fish. I understand the other islands are a bit greener. Quite cheap to live there, good access cheaply to europe because of all the tourist flights. Its also an interesting outpost of europe, it houses the south western radar of eurocontrol, for flight management.
Old Aug 9th 2017, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

Veeira is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Where 2 live, Gambia or Cape Verde??

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
I dont think the islamic republic of the maldives welcomes immigrants unless they are relatives of citizens? The gambia has i understnd some major crime issues, but might be more welcoming. Only holidayed there, and that was alarming enough.
Gambia major crime issues?? uk_grenada I don't think you have the right country. Gambia has always had a low crime rate, however I must admit that since the new government has come into power early this year, there did seem to be a little more crime in certain areas, but this has settled down now. The main crime in the Gambia would probably be fraudulent selling of land/property & false love/marriage proposals targeting expats, and this would be a small minority making it look worse for the rest. Compare the crime rate to other countries and there is no way you would describe it as major crime issues..

The Gambia is actually a beautiful country to settle and work in and expats are emigrating there every year. As with any other country you would not live in the tourist areas like Kololi/Kotu you would live somewhere like South Gambia, this would give true reflection of the country's beauty and the most amazing people.
Old Aug 9th 2017, 3:51 pm

I'm sure the Gambia has some lovely areas of countryside and smaller communities, it's just a pity that the tourist areas that foreigners of course see the most, have so many criminals prostitutes and other undesirables.

You may be aware that recently several countries have issued warnings about holidaying in Cape Verde - mainly sal? following increases in crime there against non-locals which the govt claim are African mainland gang inspired.
Old Aug 9th 2017, 3:57 pm

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.e...al-attacks/amp
Old Aug 10th 2017, 8:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Beaatiful AND peaceful AND in Africa ?

That could be difficult.
Old Aug 12th 2017, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Beaatiful AND peaceful AND in Africa ?

That could be difficult.
I wonder why so many Gambians turn up in Italy withthe destination Germany? May be it is not so beautiful?