Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa > South Africa
Reload this Page >

Visa and general advice would be great

Visa and general advice would be great

Old Apr 26th 2015, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

hattr002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa and general advice would be great

Hi, thanks for taking the time to read my post.

I'm a British citizen, 22 y/o and living in London. My girlfriend lives in Cape Town. She is South African born and bred. I visited her in CT on a holiday last month, and we decided that we wish to take things further.

Short term - She's coming to London in June on a tourist visa for 6 months - she'll be living with us who are sponsoring her as family friends, so no issue there.

Eventually we plan to live together permanently in the UK, so for her to get a visa as an unmarried partner, we must provide evidence of living together for 2 years.

Medium Term - There are a couple of options from what I can see...

1. I am hoping she can secure a job in the UK with Tier 2 visa sponsorship whilst she is visiting, although it won't be easy. She is degree qualified and speaks fluent English & German, but finding a job that no EU worker can fill isn't going to be easy. Does anybody have any suggestions or opinion on this.

2. I go over to Cape Town next year and try to find work and a sponsor for a visa. I work in IT (specifically as a SQL Data Analyst) for a big and highly desired financial company in London - and I understand that SA has a need to fill skilled IT roles - so I thought this might be a possibility. Does anyone know whether I could perhaps secure a job in SA by just applying from the UK? My other concern is the wage - I know I'll have to take a fair cut in my London salary, but if our relationship is still going strong, it's something I must consider. Does anyone have any advice or opinion on this?

Thanks in advance for your comments!
Robin
Old Apr 26th 2015, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa and general advice would be great

I'm sure you've already looked at this possibility, but just in case: does she have a British born grandparent? If so, there's the Ancestry Visa.

And/or, any EU born (recent) ancestors?
Old Apr 26th 2015, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Shirtback
I'm sure you've already looked at this possibility, but just in case: does she have a British born grandparent? If so, there's the Ancestry Visa.

And/or, any EU born (recent) ancestors?

Thanks for your reply - unfortunately not - her parents and grand parents on both sides are all Afrikaans. It would have been so much easier!!
Old Apr 26th 2015, 11:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Her chances of getting a Tier 2 work visa are slim...... and without a work visa she won't be able to remain in the UK beyond a visitor visa so you won't qualify for an unmarried partner visa.

To remain and live in the UK getting married seems an option.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 12:02 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

You won't be able to apply for a job in SA without a visa, and won't be able to get a visa without a job.

The best bet would be for you to have a job transfer with your current employer - assuming they have an office there. Failing that, being married is about the only way you'll be getting in without a firm offer from a company that is prepared to go through the mountains of hassle of getting you a work permit. And unless you're Bill Gates, it could be unlikely.

Good luck!
Old Apr 27th 2015, 12:02 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

You won't be able to apply for a job in SA without a visa, and won't be able to get a visa without a job.

The best bet would be for you to have a job transfer with your current employer - assuming they have an office there. Failing that, being married is about the only way you'll be getting in without a firm offer from a company that is prepared to go through the mountains of hassle of getting you a work permit. And unless you're Bill Gates, it could be unlikely.

Good luck!
Old Apr 27th 2015, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

It's hard work isn't it?! So you're saying I wouldn't be able to go over there on a normal holiday for up to 90 days and then get a job and apply for the visa there? I'd have to search online and find a job in SA and get a work permit sorted before I go?

The marriage business is a possibility but it seems drastic given our relationship has only been going under a year!
Old Apr 27th 2015, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by hattr002
It's hard work isn't it?! So you're saying I wouldn't be able to go over there on a normal holiday for up to 90 days and then get a job and apply for the visa there? I'd have to search online and find a job in SA and get a work permit sorted before I go?

The marriage business is a possibility but it seems drastic given our relationship has only been going under a year!
You need to be married (or prove that you've been cohabiting) for 3 years before becoming eligible for a spousal visa - so that may not work.

You can go for a holiday, find work and beg the new employer that you are so brilliant they will be prepared to go through the substantial effort of doing a visa sponsorship and application. I used to recruit in SA, and can tell you that in 5 years never came across a candidate that was worth the effort. That's a reflection on the difficulty involved, not a dig at you or your abilities. It really is that difficult and tiresome.

I wish I had better news or advice, but I don't want you to get your hopes up.

Does your UK employer not have an African office?
Old Apr 27th 2015, 4:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ededed
You need to be married (or prove that you've been cohabiting) for 3 years before becoming eligible for a spousal visa - so that may not work.

You can go for a holiday, find work and beg the new employer that you are so brilliant they will be prepared to go through the substantial effort of doing a visa sponsorship and application. I used to recruit in SA, and can tell you that in 5 years never came across a candidate that was worth the effort. That's a reflection on the difficulty involved, not a dig at you or your abilities. It really is that difficult and tiresome.

I wish I had better news or advice, but I don't want you to get your hopes up.

Does your UK employer not have an African office?

Thanks for your reply.

Yeah I must admit that I have spent hours reading into all sorts of options and I've been coming to similar conculsions.

I think I may have a little look online i.e Career Junction, LinkedIn etc to see if there are any roles I could apply for. It would be good to see if it's worth making any effort looking for a job in SA. I'd probably only consider Western Cape too, as I don't think I'd like living in Guateng, so it's further narrowing my options. Although I work with large investment banks so I'll perhaps see if any banks like Investec would be able to hire a foreigner.

If not, and marriage becomes the way we decide to go, I think I will go to Cape Town around Xmas, we will get married there and then she can apply for the UK spouse visa once she has got a marriage certificate.

It beggars believe that in order to live with my 24 year old degree qualified girlfriend, I have to get married! Oh well, nothing is perfect I guess!
Old Apr 27th 2015, 6:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your reply.

It beggars believe that in order to live with my 24 year old degree qualified girlfriend, I have to get married! Oh well, nothing is perfect I guess!
You don't have to get married - you have the choice of doing the long distance relationship over a number of years and then get married.

....... but if it's instant gratification you are looking for i.e being able to stay together immediately in either country (and without relying on work visas) then marriage it is.
Old May 20th 2015, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

brit_in_sa is an unknown quantity at this point

I was in a similar position but without the relationship. I am also a tech professional. It cost me many £thousands over many years and lots of stress.

Using 'Life partner ' status has historically been a quick sure thing, you just have to prove the efficay of the relationship - but I know they've stiffened up the qualification requirements because it was the most commonly abused way to get in. You might now have to prove you were in the relationship for a long time prior. Check the Dept of Home Affairs Gov website.

To get the work permit because of your skills will be difficult. The govt change the immigration laws annually. Doors that are open one year close the next and vice versa. At some point there were some quota systems that can allow certain amounts of hiring in specified professions, but the what's on the list changes year by year.

I eventually I managed to get the 'Exceptional Skills' permit. However you have to get serious credentials to back up the claim - primarily a letter that Dept of Home Affairs can understand which comes from a SA recognised Professional Body or an SA University stating that you're top of your field. That was a tough one...

You need to engage the services of a SA Immigration Attorney. PM me and I'll fwd you a name. They look at your case and advise if you have a hope and can fall into a category that qualifies.