UK job seeker in SA

Old Jan 4th 2015, 7:48 am
Just Joined

UK Job Seeker is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face UK job seeker in SA

Hi!

As the name suggests, I am a British national looking for work in SA. My husband has been transferred on an ICT visa through his company. I need to get a job before I can obtain a visa as I do not qualify for the 'special skills' visa.

However, I'm finding it really hard to find anything! I'd be happy to just get out to J'burg and get a job. I've got a BA (Hons) degree and am a qualified UK lawyer but finding it next to impossible to get anything. I am told that companies are hesitant to hire foreigners due to the strict labour laws.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Old Jan 7th 2015, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

Carol Mertens is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK job seeker in SA

Hello, what area in SA are you moving to?

I may have some contacts as I live in Pretoria and know a few employers.

It is very true that jobs here are for the locals, getting employment is difficult unless you are a Black South African due to affirmative action.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 2:14 pm
Just Joined

I'm looking to settle in Joburg as that is where my husband will be based.

Please drop me a message if you think you can assist, much appreciated.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 1:22 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UK Job Seeker
I'm looking to settle in Joburg as that is where my husband will be based.

Please drop me a message if you think you can assist, much appreciated.
Does your husbands company not help with an accompanying spouse visa with an allowance to work? It seems a bit off to transfer him without helping you as well. Maybe ask the agency they are using to secure his visa to help you get the right one too.

You can certainly accompany him - but won't be able to work without a work permit unless it's voluntary.

You won't find affirmative action necessarily stopping you from finding a job - BA Hons are a rare commodity and if you have a work permit, you'll be fine.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 8:10 am
Just Joined

My Husband's company will assist me to obtain an accompanying dependent visa. On such a visa, all I can do is accompany him! I have not been advised that such a visa allows one to work. In order to work I would need to obtain a job in my own right and then a company would sponsor me to obtain a work permit.

It'll take a while but I'll just have to keep on trying
Old Jan 8th 2015, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

An accompanying spouse dependent visa doesn't confer the right to take up employment. You'll need to obtain a work permit, and employers have to justify hiring expats by showing that they can't find anyone qualified for the position locally. They also have to meet affirmative action criteria and, in many cases, want to look after their Black Economic Empowerment status. None of that helps you, I'm afraid.

There are ways to get around these issues but I'm assuming you want to do this legally, and it's probably going to present some challenges. First of all, you have a BA (Hons). That may help, but it's a fairly common degree in SA and your major(s) will be a factor. You're also a lawyer, but I don't think you will be able to practice in SA without taking further exams, and you'll have to clarify where you stand if you want to follow this route. FWIW, SA law is based on Roman Dutch law, with English influence.

Ways forward? I'd try to find volunteer and charity (unpaid) work for now, to help you network and build up contacts. Your husband's company may be able to assist with this. Talk to the local law firms too. They - or their clients - may be able to offer you consulting or advisory work based on your UK legal qualifications and experience if they do business in Europe.

Good luck!

Last edited by MartynK; Jan 8th 2015 at 11:38 am.
Old Feb 9th 2015, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

sircharles is an unknown quantity at this point

tbh if you dont get a work permit before you get here you are very unlikely to find a job here that will get you one.
sorry to be blunt.

My husband did some work over here a couple of years ago and as a result when a role came up here I thought "why not"..... I came over here on a ICT last year. However we were very naive. Things have changed a lot in the 2 years since my husband last worked here, changed for the worse. So my husband could not even get interviews this time - not a single interview in 8 months. I have heard this time and time again and it is usually the reason the family goes home after 2 years because the accompanying spouse could not get a work permit & job. Unemployment is high here so there is no incentive to take on foreigners without work permits. In fact Home affairs make it very difficult to do so , which deters most employers.
That said my husband has now (just today in fact) managed to get a critical skills visa in London. He has been gone a month, leaving me to juggle a demanding job, a home and a toddler. It has been crazy!!!

NOTE: You need to apply for a critical skills visa in your home country as you CANNOT apply for it in SA today. (this has meant that several foreigners I work with all disappeared last Nov and only 1 has managed to return.... yes families have been split up for 4 months - not nice) The law has changed and changed and changed again since last March. I would really urge you to speak with various immigration lawyers and see if you can fall under the Corporate Manager band for critical skills. This is the band many accountants and tax advisers fall under so I would expect you can get some legal role under it too. You will need to get your degree verified by SAQA and you will need to register with the relevant institute in SA (perhaps paralegal work or company secretarial or international IP lawyer would be up your street if you do not have the correct legal qualification to work here?). It took my husband's immigration team 5 months to get the pack together for him to take to the High Commission in London so best you start soon if you want to take that route.

Otherwise check out the visa that allows you to set up a business here and see if that would work for you. I have heard a few spouses have done that but it does require a "deposit". Not sure how much or the likelihood of getting it back but worth a thought if you are set on paid employment.

OR resign yourself to doing volunteer work only. Many spouses do that if they can afford not to work and there is a huge need for such charity work. The poverty vs bling divide is HUGE here especially at the robots (traffic lights to you and me) where the weakest people in society hang out like some horrific circus side show.... on the other hand did you know Jozi had a Maclaren garage before London? & they seem to be building yet another Ferrari showroom too! Of course all this bling is built on debt and the misery of others, but dont let that put you off.

If you are coming to Jo'burg drop me a line and I can intro you to the place and some other foreigners. It has its problems but it is also fun too!

Also check out the FB Group "Trailing Spouses Johannesburg". You can post questions there about what luck other spouses have had at finding work - paid and voluntary.

Good luck!