Taking Car to South Africa

Old Jan 30th 2017, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

karibi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Taking Car to South Africa

My wife and I are UK citizens and are considering retiring to the Western Cape.

We both have temporary retirement permits with a view that we will go out for an extended 'look see period'. If we like we will get a permanent permit and stay, or alternatively we will move on elsewhere.

We would like to take our car out which is an old Mercedes SLK which is probably only worth about £2K in the UK.

My understanding is that:
(a) I can't import a car tax/duty free as I don't have a permanent permit.
(b) I have also been told that regardless of duty I can't import a car as I don't have PR - not sure if this is correct.
(c) I can on a temporary basis bring the car in under a 'Carnet de Passage'. I believe this is normally limited to a one year period but may be possible to extend this by another year.

My questions are:
1. Is it sensible to take the car - the GBP is not great against the Rand at the moment ?
2. Is the 'Carnet de Passage' viable or is there an alternative ?
3. If I decide to stay what happens to the car? The 'Carnet de Passage' will eventually expire and if I have PR can I then import the car duty free even though the car is already in the country ? Alternatively can I pay the duty ?
What is the correct strategy if I decide to stay ? Very interested if anybody has any first hand experience.
4. Finally can anybody recommend a good shipping company (household goods + car) that can handle all the paperwork to make my life easier ?

Thanks in advance for all the advice.

Chris
Old Jan 31st 2017, 12:29 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking Car to South Africa

Hi Chris, welcome to BE.

The quick answer is that you need to be a returning South African or a PR holder to do this.
Importing a second-hand or used vehicle | South African Government. Having had a quick look, it doesn't look like they make exceptions.

It's a shame as cars in SA are expensive, and you won't find an SLK for that kind of price - see here for local comparison: Autotrader Website I don't know what it would cost you to ship, but even if it's £1k it will be a stretch to replace - sorry.

Although I don't have first hand experience of doing this, I know people who have and it's quite easy - if you are a returning resident. You need to prove ownership for 12 months and the car is free of finance too.

The other consideration is that it's a fairly recognizable car, and that's not always a good thing in SA. Mercedes and BMWs are made there, but an SLK may make you stand out and sometimes it's better to blend in.

Not sure this is massively helpful - personally, I'd leave it at home and go and find a good 2nd hand car from a dealer - pay cash and you can hook a bargain as people are under pressure to get finance and car dealerships like nice clean sales. Remember you can drive on a UK licence for 5 years too - but the cops will still hound you if they catch you and ask for bribes. Being right won't help you either - keep a supply of R50 notes and some cokes in your car and you'll be fine...
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 5:30 pm
Just Joined

karibi is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to provide an update to my own question:

1. Shipping costs from the UK: £1428 (AutoShippersUK)
2. Port and clearance fees (based on a container): £725
3. Customs Examination (if specially selected):£35

If you use a Carnet de Passage:
4. Document Fee £210
5. 'Insurances' costs: £702 of which £550 is potentially refundable (depends on the value of the car)

However Carnet is only valid for one year and it may be possible to extend it for a further year. Thereafter no further extensions are allowed.

Therefore if you don't get PR within that period then you must ship the car back to the UK.

In my case it is probably not viable so we are planning on buying a car in SA.

Just to provide some further information.

I have found a company in SA who are able to facilitate the temporary import of a vehicle. My idea behind this is that if I get PR I can get the provisional duty refunded.

Therefore the total costs are:
1. Shipping from the UK by container: £1428
2. Provisional duty which is refundable: R17000
3. Other costs: £17000 which cover:
Terminal handling Fee Destination
Shipping Line
Port Cargo Dues
Documentation Fee
Warehouse handling/unpack
Transport Full container to unpack
Transport Empty container to shipping line depot
Agency fees

Total cost is circa £3.5K with £1K being refundable.

This is based on AutoshippersUK and Saltrans Logistics in SA. At the SA end a gentlemen called Vernon Naidu ([email protected]) has been extremely helpful in generating the quotations and answering numerous questions. Saltrans will pay the provisional duty on your behalf.

Saltrans have provided the following information.

If you are holding a Temporary Residence Permit, you will be permitted to arrange
A Temporary import on your vehicle. In this case you will be liable to pay a provisional payment to SARS
Equivalent to what your DUTY and VAT what have had to pay. This will be in additional to your local clearance
And port costs.

Note you will be granted 6 months Temporary Import , which can be extended to a maximum
Of 20 months. If you have not obtained permanent residence by this time, you will have to
Pay a 2nd provisional payment and the 1st will be refunded to you with about 6 weeks.

This provisional payment is refundable upon proof of re export or permanent import into SA.
To permanently import the vehicle, you need to have your permanent residence, thereafter
You can apply for an Import permit and letter of authority.

Last edited by BEVS; Feb 12th 2017 at 7:33 pm. Reason: merge