Statutory rights

Old Feb 18th 2014, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

ukguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Statutory rights

What are the rights of the consumer here in SA when they buy goods that are faulty or parts are missing etc, are they the same as in the UK?

What is the returns policy and time limit for returns?
Old Feb 18th 2014, 11:10 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Statutory rights

Originally Posted by ukguy
What are the rights of the consumer here in SA when they buy goods that are faulty or parts are missing etc, are they the same as in the UK?

Have a look here, found through Google, it's a long article but you should be able to find your answer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_African_law_of_sale
Old Feb 20th 2014, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

Broadly speaking, yes, but not exactly.

Have a look here, it might be easier from a practical point of view: http://www.michalsons.co.za/returns-...ction-act/9191
Old Feb 21st 2014, 11:11 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Martyn's right - the new CPA (in force since last year) has made the South African consumer amongst the most protected in the world.

Whether this is enforceable under law (practically, given the state of our courts) is another matter - but most high street retailers will fold like a pack of cards if you mention the CPA and faulty goods.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Martyn and Ed for the information.

Always takes some getting used to when moving to an unfamiliar country.

Ed you might be interested to know that I applied for a Traffic Register Number 10 days ago and hope to pick it up next Tuesday, then I will buy a car and be able to get it registered in my name.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 12:15 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Ed you might be interested to know that I applied for a Traffic Register Number 10 days ago and hope to pick it up next Tuesday, then I will buy a car and be able to get it registered in my name.
Thanks - good to know you are getting sorted! I don't think I have used my TR number since I got it - getting an SA driving licence and ID book are the 2 life changing documents!

Good luck - keep us posted!

Ed
Old Feb 27th 2014, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Ed, I picked the TRN up Tuesday, bought a second hand car later that day.

I took it for roadworthy yesterday at a private place which still only cost R300 (Centurion had a load of busses in the queue), passed but advised the air conditioner fluid was leaking so took it back to Randburg where I bought the car and it is being fixed now.

Today I drove to Akasia to transfer the vehicle to my name and get the Licence and registration.

Hopefully pick the car up tomorrow and move to a rental at the Dam Saturday.

How is North Riding? I heard a Motorcyclist got shot near there last week.

Road rage back home you may get a black eye and a few kicks but that incident reminded me to try and avoid an argument on the roads
Old Feb 27th 2014, 1:13 pm

How is North Riding? I heard a Motorcyclist got shot near there last week.

Road rage back home you may get a black eye and a few kicks but that incident reminded me to try and avoid an argument on the roads
Yeah - 2kms from my house. Awful. Both had guns and pulled them on each other - the traffic was really bad there that day but it's a sign of the times. The guy that survived is a lawyer, and he called the cops - so it sounds like he knew he was acting in self-defence and will probably walk - but a really stupid thing to do. I use that road every day - happened to be on my bike on valentines day and missed it by about 10 minutes - but you learn to smile and wave when someone cuts you off - which is just about all the time.
Old Feb 28th 2014, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, this has been discussed on a couple of other forums too.

Just so you know, road rage is a problem and it can get violent/confrontational. Ed's advice is good. Drive defensively, and smile, wave and mouth an apology if you do tick someone off. Don't get out of the car to argue, and drive off if you can.

People do carry guns in this country, and that's just the way things are. We don't have a "right to keep and bear arms" like the US, but licensing a firearm isn't particularly difficult if you meet the legal criteria and submit a good motivation with your application. A license to possess a handgun also gives you the right to carry it in public places, providing it's concealed. You can also use it in self defence, but that's a bit of a legal minefield. Oscar Pistorius is finding that out.........