South Africa - Bill Keller

Old Apr 17th 2014, 10:07 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute
Default South Africa - Bill Keller

I was at a presentation last night where Tony Leon (ex-DA leader) was the keynote speaker. He quoted Bill Keller of the NYT who wrote this, when he left having spent some time working over here...

"If South Africa does not leave you full of ambivalence you have not been paying attention. It is a country where the ruling alliance includes the Communist Party, but the real economic power is capitalist; where corruption is rampant but a vigorous press reports it; where the constitutional court legalised gay marriage and lesbians are gang raped; where the (shopping) malls are populated by a multiracial consumer class, and millions live in shacks. It is inspiring and dispiriting."

I think that sums things up here quite nicely.

I also read that if you rob Peter to pay Paul, you can always count on Paul's vote. There are 20m Pauls, and only 5m Peters. I'm tired of being Peter and being screamed at by Paul.

Finally, Churchill said "For a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket trying to lift himself up by the handle"

This boiling frog is feeling the heat, I think it's time to reduce the temperature.

Pablo - wherever you are, you were absolutely right, and I was naïve and wrong.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: South Africa - Bill Keller

Still here, Ed, still watching the unfolding tragedy with pained intermittent interest. As I said some time ago, the game's up for SA. They blew it.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 10:44 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

And then some. But don't they all?
Old Apr 21st 2014, 1:48 am
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ededed
Finally, Churchill said "For a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket trying to lift himself up by the handle"
This represents our President and his administration nicely. They give the few tidbits to ensure the vote, and in turn the masses give away their power.
Old Apr 21st 2014, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by Tegwyn
This represents our President and his administration nicely. They give the few tidbits to ensure the vote, and in turn the masses give away their power.
So does this from Thomas Jefferson...:

“When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people there is liberty.”

I'm scared of this government.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 3:46 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

So does this from Thomas Jefferson...:

“When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people there is liberty.”

I'm scared of this government.
I could say a few things in observing our fine Prez on this side of the coast, and I will be politically correct and say he is blatantly biased in who he represents as our President. Seems to have taken some lessons from Mugabe,Zooms and comrades. Rules are made for udder people.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 4:33 pm

Well, here is Juju clarifying why he lives like a millionaire while representing the poor. Makes perfect sense to me...

http://www.news24.com/Elections/News...alema-20140422

Old Apr 23rd 2014, 3:31 am
Nuts and Bolts

Well, here is Juju clarifying why he lives like a millionaire while representing the poor. Makes perfect sense to me...

The logic is mind blowing. Why didn't I think of that???
Old Apr 24th 2014, 4:32 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

But how else is he going to justify it?
Old Apr 25th 2014, 2:07 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Ouch at McKenzie's open letter. He's right though.

http://citizen.co.za/165205/julius-m...s-open-letter/
Old May 7th 2014, 6:57 am

So, now Nkandla is justifiable because 10 years ago JZ's wife was raped there, and they didn't feel safe. His new argument is that state then has to protect it's people and upgrades are valid. Ok.

So - I can also apply for R250m for security upgrades? as can everyone else who is at threat? At last, something in return for the R500,000 I paid in tax last year!

Election day here. Bekkersdal residents haven't been getting the promised service from government - water, electricity, all that stuff that R250m would have provided. So, what do they do? Burn down the police and polling stations, and stop residents from voting. Democracy in action folks.

Finally, the polling station in Marikana hasn't opened yet, and no-one knows why. Just what you need to do to ensure victory, just don't let those pesky EFF-supporting masses vote for Juju. I'm sure that's going to end well.
Old May 16th 2014, 1:56 pm

This boiling frog is feeling the heat, I think it's time to reduce the temperature.
An update for those who are interested....

The house is up for sale. I resigned this morning. We're planning a life outside SA.

It's not the crime (though that's always a worry). It's much more than that.

It's the quality of education. It's the standard of driving. It's Nkandla - and the lack of anyone likely to prosecute one of the greatest tax-thieves in history. It's the potholes. It's the police hiding in the bushes and nailing us whites for cool drink money, while taxis scream past pedestrians on the hard shoulder of the motorway, 150m from a broken traffic light which is causing a 10km traffic jam. It's the cellphone signal being awful, when the charges keep rising. It's the exchange rate, linked to the interest rate, driven by e-tolls and petrol price rises, all fuelled by massive overspending on vanity projects that don't help the masses. It's BEE - reverse racism at it's finest, and unconstitutional and simply a charade of tokenism for Zuma's mates. It's corruption in all walks of public life. It's nepotism, favouritism and jobs for the Robben Island Boys Club. It's Zuma and Malema - who we know will be joined at the hip again soon. It's 100 years of selfless struggle (sic) which the ANC - with absolutely no shame or sense of irony - emblazoned on a R1,5m convertible. It's Eskom and their ineptitude while raising prices. It's AMCU - R12,500 per month is insanity, which will lead to 70,000 job losses as Anglo move their operations offshore until they can automate the work here. It's the lack of service and general apathy in all walks of life, from government departments to retail stores. It's the municipal workers striking, rioting and looting and then demanding overtime to fix the chaos they caused. It's service delivery protesters burning down voting stations and community centres because they don't like the government, rather than simply voting for the opposition. It's the litter and filth that lie next to the dustbins everywhere, dropped by a society that doesn't care about little things like pride in the community. It's the lack of strong, moral, inclusive leadership that could harness massive potential and make a better life for all. It's all this and more. It's over.

Last edited by ededed; May 16th 2014 at 2:05 pm.
Old May 16th 2014, 2:23 pm
Banned

Good luck. Where to next?
Old May 16th 2014, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

It's over.
OMG, Ed. I guess the hopeychangey thing has kind of worn thin. How about Nigeria?

... But seriously. Keep us posted. We've got to love you over the years.
Old May 16th 2014, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by paulry
Good luck. Where to next?
Irons in the fire... Watch this space

Originally Posted by Pablo
OMG, Ed. I guess the hopeychangey thing has kind of worn thin. How about Nigeria?

... But seriously. Keep us posted. We've got to love you over the years.
Awwww, thanks Pablo. Out of Africa, certainly. I've been to Nigeria - one of the few places that make SA look respectable. Hopefully somewhere warm. For all it's faults, the weather here is ****ing amazing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.