Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa > South Africa
Reload this Page >

South Africa – would we be silly ?

South Africa – would we be silly ?

Old Jul 4th 2010, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: South Africa – would we be silly ?

Originally Posted by ededed
*sigh*

Fine. Whatever.

Come here and you will die, your kids will be eaten and your house taken over by ANCYL thugs.

Happy now?

I wrote a long and impassioned response, but deleted it before posting. I just can't be bothered to go through this argument again.

Unsubscribe. Cheerio.
S'ok, Ed. Wife who is not far from you at the moment had commented on bicycle riding just before your post.
I'll swing past your area later this month and if I see a single white kid on a bicycle I will retract my post.
Old Jul 4th 2010, 12:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shirlw
Hi OP

ME-Dundee lass born and bred,been living in SA for 17 years now.

OH-English born but living in SA since he was 7 so nearly 40 years on.

KIDS-all born here in SA now 15,13 and 7(boys).

SCHOOL-Private all the way costs me R12000 P/M.Govt.schooling not an option.

MY HOUSE-worth 1.5 mill(to rent same would be around R10000 P/M) 4 b/room,2 lounges,pool,servants qrtrs,aircon,fully walled,barbed wire,burglar bars and security gates all round and burglar alarm.We live 160kms North of Durban.

MEDICAL AID-Private for a family of 5 costs us around R6000 P/M,government healthcare not an option.

BUSINESS-We own 2,no black partners,I can employ who I want and no BEE restrictions.Having said that,we would probably grow expedentially(spelling ?) if we were BEE compliant but after being embezzled twice in the last 2 years to the tune of 750,000 and 500,000 respectively by those so-called "previously disadvantaged",I am a bit reluctant to let go the reigns for a 3rd time.The law did not favour our plight and the perpetrators walk free today!

LIFESTYLE-We live very well as in eating out when we like,taking holidays when we can get away,and we are a 2 car family.Kids are very restricted unlike their cousins of similar age in UK.They cannot take a bus to the local mall and take in a movie etc. we have to fetch and carry them everywhere.They do not walk to friends homes as it is not safe so again-fetch and carry.They have bicycles they cannot ride unless we drive them to a "safe" area.This is all they have known so they generally do not question their lack of freedom but having come from UK myself,I want more for them and know this is not a "normal" way of life.

SECURITY-Our businesses have been broken into (lost count) approximately 20 times in the last 5 years where computers,money,vehicles,stock etc have been stolen.Our home has been broken into 6 times in the last 5 years and been cleaned out of all electronic equipment,bedding,linen etc.My husband was hi-jacked at our front gate 2 years ago,thankfully they took the vehicle and left him alone.My staff have had handbags,cell phones stolen from their offices by "customers".I can go on but the bottom line is,NOT ONCE has anyone been caught or convicted of any of these crimes committed against me and mine.The same cannot be said if this were to have happened in a more civilised country of that I am certain.

EARNINGS-To cover our "comfortable"lifestyle,we take home a joint income of around R100,000 p/m and we are considered very fortunate.

THE PLAN-getting the hell out of here by December to go to Australia,would have gone sooner but with the world economy going belly-up,it has been an upward battle to sell up and we are still climbing that hill.

THE REALITY-There is nowhere in the world that you would be completely safe and free of violence,drugs etc. etc.and to think otherwise would be utter stupidity.BUT lowering the "statistics" to an acceptable level within a lifestyle is a more realistic goal.

And then you read all the negative posts on the Oz forum about Australia and you really have to laaaaaarf.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...49#post8675049

for example.

Post #114

Last edited by Alfresco; Jul 4th 2010 at 12:48 pm.
Old Jul 4th 2010, 2:51 pm
Just Joined

ToDo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shirlw
Hi OP

ME-Dundee lass born and bred,been living in SA for 17 years now.

OH-English born but living in SA since he was 7 so nearly 40 years on.

KIDS-all born here in SA now 15,13 and 7(boys).

SCHOOL-Private all the way costs me R12000 P/M.Govt.schooling not an option.

MY HOUSE-worth 1.5 mill(to rent same would be around R10000 P/M) 4 b/room,2 lounges,pool,servants qrtrs,aircon,fully walled,barbed wire,burglar bars and security gates all round and burglar alarm.We live 160kms North of Durban.

MEDICAL AID-Private for a family of 5 costs us around R6000 P/M,government healthcare not an option.

BUSINESS-We own 2,no black partners,I can employ who I want and no BEE restrictions.Having said that,we would probably grow expedentially(spelling ?) if we were BEE compliant but after being embezzled twice in the last 2 years to the tune of 750,000 and 500,000 respectively by those so-called "previously disadvantaged",I am a bit reluctant to let go the reigns for a 3rd time.The law did not favour our plight and the perpetrators walk free today!

LIFESTYLE-We live very well as in eating out when we like,taking holidays when we can get away,and we are a 2 car family.Kids are very restricted unlike their cousins of similar age in UK.They cannot take a bus to the local mall and take in a movie etc. we have to fetch and carry them everywhere.They do not walk to friends homes as it is not safe so again-fetch and carry.They have bicycles they cannot ride unless we drive them to a "safe" area.This is all they have known so they generally do not question their lack of freedom but having come from UK myself,I want more for them and know this is not a "normal" way of life.

SECURITY-Our businesses have been broken into (lost count) approximately 20 times in the last 5 years where computers,money,vehicles,stock etc have been stolen.Our home has been broken into 6 times in the last 5 years and been cleaned out of all electronic equipment,bedding,linen etc.My husband was hi-jacked at our front gate 2 years ago,thankfully they took the vehicle and left him alone.My staff have had handbags,cell phones stolen from their offices by "customers".I can go on but the bottom line is,NOT ONCE has anyone been caught or convicted of any of these crimes committed against me and mine.The same cannot be said if this were to have happened in a more civilised country of that I am certain.

EARNINGS-To cover our "comfortable"lifestyle,we take home a joint income of around R100,000 p/m and we are considered very fortunate.

THE PLAN-getting the hell out of here by December to go to Australia,would have gone sooner but with the world economy going belly-up,it has been an upward battle to sell up and we are still climbing that hill.

THE REALITY-There is nowhere in the world that you would be completely safe and free of violence,drugs etc. etc.and to think otherwise would be utter stupidity.BUT lowering the "statistics" to an acceptable level within a lifestyle is a more realistic goal.
Hey Shirlw,

Thanks for your input. Dundee, you’ll nae be a stranger tae a pie then Forfar bridie now there’s a yummy fir ye.

Sounds like you have a rough time and if I read into your “THE PLAN-getting the hell out of here” you have had enough . I get the feeling that South Africa has moved into denial mode with regards to a situation over there (like you have described).

There is no doubts about it that South Africa is shown as having an extremely high murder rate but yet I do not seem to see many reports in the press and there are a few news sites and I study the readers comments and it is as if life is normal. Concerning

If 90% of the crime is in the townships, what then is the motivation for these (township) crimes as I believe the townships are the poorer areas ?

Well good luck with your selling-up and move to Oz.

Ta ra the noo
Old Jul 4th 2010, 10:48 pm
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute

Just reading this thread out of interest. I've got a south african friends here in Spain who absolutely refuses to go back there. Despite being in Spain over 5 years now without any legal status. Theyre very restricted with having to live on cash in hand jobs as theyre not on the system for lawful employment. Their life is kinda grim. If they leave they'd never get re-admitted.

However they are far far happier with this situation than a situation they'd have to go back to in South Africa. And I read with interest to see if what they say about Jo'burg is true, or has improved since they left. But with the sounds of it it doesnt.

To the OP, I really cant understand your attraction to South Africa. Yes its vibrant and has its good side. There is a great community spirit with people. So go on holiday there. It sounds like the weather interests you? Well move to Spain then. Its a similar climate. From what i've read about S.A and what my friends here have said about it, it'd be rather cruel to be taking your son down there too.
Old Jul 4th 2010, 11:27 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by onlineamiga
Just reading this thread out of interest. I've got a south african friends here in Spain who absolutely refuses to go back there. Despite being in Spain over 5 years now without any legal status. Theyre very restricted with having to live on cash in hand jobs as theyre not on the system for lawful employment. Their life is kinda grim. If they leave they'd never get re-admitted.

However they are far far happier with this situation than a situation they'd have to go back to in South Africa. And I read with interest to see if what they say about Jo'burg is true, or has improved since they left. But with the sounds of it it doesnt.

To the OP, I really cant understand your attraction to South Africa. Yes its vibrant and has its good side. There is a great community spirit with people. So go on holiday there. It sounds like the weather interests you? Well move to Spain then. Its a similar climate. From what i've read about S.A and what my friends here have said about it, it'd be rather cruel to be taking your son down there too.
I met the same in Israel/Uk too. They had holiday worker visas but couldn't stay.

Some of them ended up having to return. They seem to be making the best of it.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 12:44 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kathyd
I lived in S.Africa for 23 years. My husband is S.African and my children were born there. We have been back in the Uk [N.Ireland] for 9 years and are moving to live in Spain in August this year.
Make sure your husband get his British citizenship before you leave (if he's not already got it) ... if nothing else, it will make it easier for him to live in Spain.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 3:31 pm
Banned

LA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really nice

SA is great especially coast-Durban/Cape Town.
Moved here 3 years ago from the so-called promised land of California, USA after living in the US for 9 years. My second marriage was to a South African. So much happier here. I moved here with my 9 year old daughter from first marriage and as long as you have money (at least R40k month after deductions) you can still live like a king in this country.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 4:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LA2JHB
Moved here 3 years ago from the so-called promised land of California, USA after living in the US for 9 years. My second marriage was to a South African. So much happier here. I moved here with my 9 year old daughter from first marriage and as long as you have money (at least R40k month after deductions) you can still live like a king in this country.
Indeed you can!

Sent you Karma.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 5:27 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LA2JHB
Hi there, welcome to the Africa forum. It's been quiet in here lately....
Old Aug 9th 2010, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

crusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud of

i lived there for 7 years and to a large part loved it....great weather/beaches/girs!!! (wow.) But I was a sinlge 27 y/o guy.

Then it started to get me down.

1) It's HOT. 9 months of the year it's like a heat wave UK summer. I love a few weeks of hot weather but week in week out just got me down.

2) Crime. sorry guys it's vicous. Aren't there about 900 police killed on duty every year? It's not like you see it everywhre not that bad but it's a big step up from ther UK.

3) Driving..OMG I considred buying a bible and making prayers before I got on the N roads. It's VICOUS. Those white taxi vans do not give a F*** and there's hardly any policing. Drink driving is expected. Agains thousands if not tens are killed on their roads every year.

4) Medical: Hey it's a very high standard but only if you are private....so it's no NHS system to fall back on.

Enjoy...