Single flight to the UK

Old Jun 4th 2014, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

ukguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Single flight to the UK

I booked a return flight with KLM from the UK and thought I had paid extra so that I could change the return date but apparently I didn't.

KLM charge the same amount for a single ticket home to the UK or a return ticket. R13,600 £800 ish.

I want to get a single ticket back to the UK in late February 2015, my UK Visa card has run out and no bank here will issue me with one as I am a temporary permit holder.

Do any of you know a shop I can walk into and make the booking and pay cash?
Johannesburg, Pretoria and surrounding areas is fine, I don't mind the drive.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 4:37 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Single flight to the UK

Originally Posted by ukguy
I booked a return flight with KLM from the UK and thought I had paid extra so that I could change the return date but apparently I didn't.

KLM charge the same amount for a single ticket home to the UK or a return ticket. R13,600 £800 ish.

I want to get a single ticket back to the UK in late February 2015, my UK Visa card has run out and no bank here will issue me with one as I am a temporary permit holder.

Do any of you know a shop I can walk into and make the booking and pay cash?
Johannesburg, Pretoria and surrounding areas is fine, I don't mind the drive.
Eish. You can go to OR Tambo and hawk around the airline ticket desks - they will sell a ticket for cash. If you are flexible, they may sell you a standby ticket on the day which could be a lot cheaper.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

ukguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Excellent information, thank-you.

On the terms of my ticket is says,

"Change is permitted at a fee of £100" which is fine, I knew I paid extra to have this option but on the KLM website it says,
"Unfortunately, it is not possible to change flights because you booked a non-changeable ticket type".

So I plan on going to OR Tambo to query this with KLM in September.
If no joy I will do as you suggested while there and try the other airlines and not use KLM again.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

KLM do offer the option of changing your flight for a fee of £100 + the difference in cost between your original flight and the new one. I think this depends on the ticket code, but try calling them? I've done this a couple of times and they were quite helpful.

Follow Ed's suggestions if this doesn't work. A travel agent could probably book a flight for you too, and take a cash payment, but they charge a fee for bookings now.