Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa > South Africa
Reload this Page >

shipping from Cape Town to London

shipping from Cape Town to London

Old Oct 10th 2013, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

amin.kieran1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default shipping from Cape Town to London

Hi, I have been living in South Africa with my parents for a 6 years now. I am moving back to England in march 2014. I have some things i want to take with me, but its mostly mountaineering, rock climbing and camping equipment, clothing, books and bedding. i am a student, and basically wondering what the cheapest options are.

I think its probably too much stuff to take on the plane with me, or to post as a parcel but doesn't seem enough to justify hiring a full scale removals service.

i was wondering if anybody knows of a service that ships 1 or 2 boxes and a rough idea of how much it would cost? (it can be delivered directly to an address in the UK, so no need for storage and it doesn't really matter how long it will take).

or perhaps i am on the wrong track completely and there is another cheap option?

I would really appreciate any advice, knowledge on the subject or avenues i could pursue further.

thanks very much!

Kieran
Old Oct 11th 2013, 1:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: shipping from Cape Town to London

Hi and Welcome to BE.

Most international removals companies will ship boxes of stuff around the world.

It would be best to google "shipping boxes from South Africa to the UK'

Phone some of them up get them to quote.

Good luck.
Old Oct 11th 2013, 6:47 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: shipping from Cape Town to London

You have 2 choices I think.

1. Send it as unaccompanied baggage when you fly - SAA do this - it won't go on the same plane as you but will fly when there is space. More expensive, but will take 2-3 days depending on availability.

2. Send it in a part-container. Companies like Kuehne & Nagel do this. They will wait to fill a 20 foot container and you buy space inside it - it will travel once it is full. Cheapest option, but will take 6-8 weeks at least, and although they can clear customs in the UK you may need to go and fetch it depending on what service you take. We did this and collected from Heathrow.