Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa > South Africa
Reload this Page >

Sending old clothing to SA (30kg boxes)

Sending old clothing to SA (30kg boxes)

Old Oct 19th 2015, 8:43 am
Just Joined

wbmkk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sending old clothing to SA (30kg boxes)

What is the best (cheapest) way to send 30kg boxes of old clothing to South Africa.

My wife has previously used Seven Seas, but I was wondering if there are any other options.

The boxes are quite large (like the T chest boxes of old) and weight between 25kg and 30kg.

They are going to the port city of Port Elizabeth.

The seven seas service provides a door to door service, which is good, but maybe not the most economical.

Maybe a shipping service will deliver them to the dock somewhere, for collection there.

We were all ready to send them, all wrapped and ready to go, but now SS have said we must itemise every item, giving materials etc for each

jumper .. wool, shirt ..cotton

it would take ages to sort all this out

thank you
thank you
Old Nov 15th 2015, 8:19 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sending old clothing to SA (30kg boxes)

If they are personal effects (used - and not for commercial or retail purposes) then as far as I remember you don't need to do an itemized invoice. The customs paperwork needs to state they are personal effects and approximate quantities are fine - along with a nominal value (£5 an item is usually ok). You have to state that they are assorted clothes and the reason for shipping.

If you send them door-to-port and nominate a broker to clear them you then need to collect them yourself (usually at Durban, CPT or PE) or get a local courier to pick them up.
Old Nov 15th 2015, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

wbmkk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ededed
If they are personal effects (used - and not for commercial or retail purposes) then as far as I remember you don't need to do an itemized invoice. The customs paperwork needs to state they are personal effects and approximate quantities are fine - along with a nominal value (£5 an item is usually ok). You have to state that they are assorted clothes and the reason for shipping.

If you send them door-to-port and nominate a broker to clear them you then need to collect them yourself (usually at Durban, CPT or PE) or get a local courier to pick them up.
Thank you for your reply.

Funny really .. we finally got around to sorting everything out including unpacking / repacking and listing all items.

We just decided to do exactly as we were asked

We sealed up the last of the boxes this afternoon. My wife phoned SS and they are coming to collect on Tuesday

Regards from the UK !
Old Nov 15th 2015, 9:29 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wbmkk
Thank you for your reply.

Funny really .. we finally got around to sorting everything out including unpacking / repacking and listing all items.

We just decided to do exactly as we were asked

We sealed up the last of the boxes this afternoon. My wife phoned SS and they are coming to collect on Tuesday

Regards from the UK !
Shit, sorry! I've been out of contact for a few weeks. My job has me traveling a lot and it's hard to keep up. Post any other questions you may have, I'll be happy to help.

Good luck

Ed