Selling a car.

Old Aug 18th 2014, 5:47 am
Forum Regular

ukguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Selling a car.

Ed kindly told me about the IDP I needed to use here and the Traffic register number (that saved me twice now).

I will be moving back to the UK in January 2015 and will try to sell my car in December or January. Bit worried in case I cannot sell it before I go.

What is the correct procedure I need to follow regarding paperwork etc when/if I sell the car to make sure it is not registered in my name anymore?
I plan on selling it through a garage rather than privately.

Do I need to go to a licencing centre to let them know if I sell the car or hand in forms to them?
Old Aug 18th 2014, 12:46 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selling a car.

Right, I've just done this myself with 2 cars and a bike. I got screwed by dealers, but found gumtree and junk mail worked really well - no problems despite the obvious threat of being ripped off.

First, you need to get hold of the banks and ask them for a letter confirming the vehicle is paid off (if you had finance). Then, the dealer or bank can release a copy of the NATIS document which is the original UK log book we know and love.

Then, you can go to a licenscing centre (with the new owner and copies of ID and licenses) and do a change of ownership. You may be able to do this at a post office too - that would be easier.

Make sure you update insurance and tracking companies at the same time.

Good luck,

Ed
Old Aug 19th 2014, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

Hi Ed,

I did not purchase the car on finance and it had no existing finance on it when I bought it from the garage.
It was a relatively inexpensive car and I paid by bank transfer, EFT.

I have the motor vehicle license and the certificate of registration, is that the NATIS document you mentioned?

How did you get screwed by dealers?

I know I could probably get more for my car selling it privately but am concerned about getting ripped off and also it is such a nightmare getting in and out of this complex. Plus I will only have a short time period to sell it before I fly home so cannot hang about.
Need the funds in the SA bank to transfer home and then close SA bank account.

I would rather sell it for less to a dealer or even that webuycars if it means getting the funds quickly.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 9:35 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Webuycars and dealers will give you 30-40% less than Gumtree or junk mail. If you're ok with that, then go ahead. Personally, I'd have the hassle for the extra cash but that's your call. I have had no problems and been paid in full every time. If you have no finance then you should have the registration documents which is the same as the Natis. You need to give this to the new owner and they will do the change of ownership. Get it stamped at a police station (a letter confirming change of owner, signed by the buyer) to protect you in case of any fallbacks after you've gone.
Old Aug 21st 2014, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

OK thank-you for the tips ED.

I do have the certificate of registration and will type a letter out stating the date I sold the car and get the new owner to sign it and I will get it stamped at a Police station.