Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa > South Africa
Reload this Page >

Safety in SA - three babies under 3

Safety in SA - three babies under 3

Old Sep 8th 2016, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

Jennifereckles is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Safety in SA - three babies under 3

I've been looking at relocating to SA, and we have three under the age of three. My main concern is safety - any advice? We are looking at moving to Kosmos on the Harbeespoort dam, as it's a gated community, but obviously don't want to be prisoners in our own home so ideally wanted to know whether it's still possible to get out and about without worry. Thanks in advance
Old Sep 10th 2016, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Safety in SA - three babies under 3

Originally Posted by Jennifereckles
I've been looking at relocating to SA, and we have three under the age of three. My main concern is safety - any advice? We are looking at moving to Kosmos on the Harbeespoort dam, as it's a gated community, but obviously don't want to be prisoners in our own home so ideally wanted to know whether it's still possible to get out and about without worry. Thanks in advance
The bottom line is that SA just isn't as safe as the UK. You have to accept that if you go there.

As it happens I know Kosmos at Hartbeespoort. Nice, pretty place, though perhaps a bit cut off. Obviously a gated community is safer than an ungated one, but stuff still happens, and you have to venture out occasionally too!

If you haven't done it already, follow the local press in their online editions to get a feel for what concerns/obsesses the locals. Crime is right up there.
Old Sep 13th 2016, 3:54 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jennifereckles
Harties has really developed in the past couple of years and is now big enough that you probably never need to go to Gauteng at all - which is a good thing. I'm a little out of touch but used to ride my Harley there most Sundays - it's a big biker spot for Jo'burgers on a weekend. I also know the dam itself was getting horribly polluted, but they were trying to sort it out - the smell was terrible and the water was green. It's probably worth making sure that's under control as it's the kind of thing to really affect your quality of life if you're planning on being near the water.

Pecanwood is a nice golf course there, and the cable car is also well run and a great picnic spot with amazing views all the way to Pretoria.

As Pablo rightly says, check out the local news sites for crime stories, and just take the sensible precautions. News24 and the Citizen are good places to check out information.

Good luck, feel free to ask any questions you need help with.
Old Sep 13th 2016, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ededed
used to ride my Harley there
Thought you'd just slip that one in, did you Ed? - Leader of the Pack kind of thing, just in case we thought you were getting old and staid. You're such a poseur.

Last edited by Pablo; Sep 13th 2016 at 6:29 pm.
Old Sep 13th 2016, 9:26 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pablo
Thought you'd just slip that one in, did you Ed? - Leader of the Pack kind of thing, just in case we thought you were getting old and staid. You're such a poseur.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37UTpnPTvIk
Harley, kids, wife - in that order. Now I live in Scotland. i spent all my bike money on umbrellas and wellies.

The wolf rides alone.