Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa > South Africa
Reload this Page >

SA immigration problem in UK

SA immigration problem in UK

Old Aug 1st 2015, 11:37 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default SA immigration problem in UK

I know this is not strictly SA immigration, but Im just desperately trying to find anyone who can offer advice on this subject. Its also been posted in MBTTUK in the visa section.

I did brink this up here a few years ago, and we thought it was all sorted ... clearly not!

Hopefully someone can help

I have a good friend whos mother left SA a couple of years ago, based on the fact that she was going to start her own business in the UK. Her family all live here. She sold everything she had in SA to plough into the business, which now employs 8 people (its a high class hairdresssers). She has nothing left in SA. Her family are all in the UK (one daughter has been for 15 years), and one of the employees is her other daughter.

A solicitor was employed to do all the documentation and go though the procedures to do things correctly, as it was said that acceptance was pretty certain.

A year or so on, the application has been rejected due to the solicitor "filling in the wrong boxes", and although an appeal is now being lodged, she faces the possibility of being sent back to SA with no money, no family ... nothing, even though she is guaranteed never to be a drain on the UK benefits system, and does employ 7 UK people in the business.

She is 68 years old, and has openly said that she would rather kill herself than go back to South Africa. Basically because she would be on her own with no money or home.

So although she has a new solicitor dealing with the appeal, I was asked to see if anyone here has had a similar experience, or has any advice as to what other route she might be able to take to be able to stay here

It seems a simple choice. Self sufficiency and secured employment and income in the UK, or going back to SA with nothing!

Would appreciate your comments
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SA immigration problem in UK

This sounds like a bit of a nightmare, but you might get more useful info/suggestions in the Moving Back To The UK forums. It doesn't seem to be an SA issue.

I'm not a lawyer, but I can't help thinking that selling up and investing everything into a new business in the UK, based on an assurance that 'acceptance was pretty certain' was a little premature. I hope it all works out in the end though.
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 4:28 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SA immigration problem in UK

Originally Posted by MartynK
This sounds like a bit of a nightmare, but you might get more useful info/suggestions in the Moving Back To The UK forums. It doesn't seem to be an SA issue.

I'm not a lawyer, but I can't help thinking that selling up and investing everything into a new business in the UK, based on an assurance that 'acceptance was pretty certain' was a little premature. I hope it all works out in the end though.
I put it on there firstly Martyn, but copied it on here just in case anyone had any knowledge