Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa > South Africa
Reload this Page >

Proof of British citizenship documentation for SA passport renewal

Proof of British citizenship documentation for SA passport renewal

Old Nov 6th 2014, 1:31 pm
Just Joined

JS55 has a reputation beyond reputeJS55 has a reputation beyond reputeJS55 has a reputation beyond reputeJS55 has a reputation beyond reputeJS55 has a reputation beyond reputeJS55 has a reputation beyond reputeJS55 has a reputation beyond reputeJS55 has a reputation beyond reputeJS55 has a reputation beyond reputeJS55 has a reputation beyond reputeJS55 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Proof of British citizenship documentation for SA passport renewal

Hi. I am new to this site so hope my post is in the right place.

I am a South African living in London. Have had British citizenship by descent since I was a minor. Recently tried to renew my SA passport in London and was told I need to prove when and how I got British citizenship because, as a minor, I did not have to get approval to have dual citizenship. Basically, unless you have a letter from Home Affairs giving you approval to have dual citizenship, you stand to lose your SA citizenship, unless you were a minor at the time.

Does anyone know how can I get proof of my British citizenship? I have tried endless avenues to no avail. The National Archives in Britain dont have a record for the year I got citizenship (1982) and the High Commission in Pretoria said they dont keep those documents (which is where my parents applied for my citizenship).If I cant get these docs, I could lose my SA citizenship - its ridiculous but seems to be their new rules. Can anybody help?
Old Nov 6th 2014, 7:53 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proof of British citizenship documentation for SA passport renewal

tough one...let me throw some questions out here

Is it possible to locate one of your parents old passports where you first appeared as an endorsement in one of them?

When did you get your first British passport?

If you have a British passport now - seems the British passport office in London could do the historical look back?

Do you know if your parents ever registered you as a British citizen?

When did you arrive in the UK from SA - is it possible through something like 'Ancestry.com' you could find your entry to the UK or leaving SA?

What about an Aunt or Uncle on this question - would they be any help?

Last edited by not2old; Nov 6th 2014 at 7:56 pm.
Old Nov 6th 2014, 8:23 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If you received your British citizenship by descent because your parents were born in the UK then your full South African birth certificate should satisfy the SA authorities. They should know that this would be automatic at birth under British nationality law.
Old Nov 7th 2014, 2:23 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JS55
Does anyone know how can I get proof of my British citizenship? I have tried endless avenues to no avail. The National Archives in Britain dont have a record for the year I got citizenship (1982) and the High Commission in Pretoria said they dont keep those documents (which is where my parents applied for my citizenship).If I cant get these docs, I could lose my SA citizenship - its ridiculous but seems to be their new rules. Can anybody help?
If you are referring to Consular Birth Registration then you are looking in the wrong place. You would need to contact the General Register Office for an official copy. General Register Office (GRO) - Official information on births, marriages and deaths

Depends on how you acquired your British citizenship in the first place. Father, mother, parents married/unmarried, etc?
Old Nov 8th 2014, 10:28 am
Just Joined

JS55 has a reputation beyond reputeJS55 has a reputation beyond reputeJS55 has a reputation beyond reputeJS55 has a reputation beyond reputeJS55 has a reputation beyond reputeJS55 has a reputation beyond reputeJS55 has a reputation beyond reputeJS55 has a reputation beyond reputeJS55 has a reputation beyond reputeJS55 has a reputation beyond reputeJS55 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the responses.

My father was born in a British colony and up to end of 1982 could pass on Brit citizenship to your children. He got it for me before the laws changed ie just before the end of 1982. I've had a British passport since 1987.

I looked at GRO but that's only for births, deaths and marriages - not citizenship registration or naturalisation docs.

There was a post on this forum where someone was looking for the same info but there never was a solution posted on how they sorted it out. And now the thread is closed. Is it possible to contact the person if a thread is closed? She/he may have solved the problem.

There is a Form NS which I can complete to confirm Nationality Status but its a form used for people who dont have British citizenship trying to ascertain their right to British citizenship. I think it may be worth a go. But the fee is steep at 85 pounds. Just to renew my SA citizenship and I was born in the country!! Ridiculous!

From my research, I've become aware that there are thousands of South Africans living abroad who have taken up citizenship of a foreign country and because they didnt apply to the SA home affairs for permission to have dual citizenship, have automatically lost their SA citizenship. You only become aware of this when you try to renew your
SA passport. Its' quite shocking.
Old Nov 9th 2014, 2:45 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Complete a Subject Access Request form and send it to the Passport Office in Peterborough. Ask specifically for information on how and when you acquired your British citizenship. HMPO will send you a letter with this information which should satisfy the SA authorities. The cost is £10.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...s-request-form
Old Nov 9th 2014, 2:55 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the responses.

My father was born in a British colony and up to end of 1982 could pass on Brit citizenship to your children. He got it for me before the laws changed ie just before the end of 1982. I've had a British passport since 1987.

I looked at GRO but that's only for births, deaths and marriages - not citizenship registration or naturalisation docs.
The GRO also register overseas births of those with British nationality. In your case, that could be the document that shows how you became a British citizen.

As of now, you've still not told us how you are actually a British citizen. Which colony was your father born in? You need to have some document other than a passport that evidences your citizenship and based on what you're telling us, you don't have that. If you can't evidence your British citizenship, you may also have problems renewing your British passport at some point in future.
Old Nov 11th 2014, 11:32 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Complete a Subject Access Request form and send it to the Passport Office in Peterborough. Ask specifically for information on how and when you acquired your British citizenship. HMPO will send you a letter with this information which should satisfy the SA authorities. The cost is £10.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...s-request-form
Thanks for the reply. I will definitely try this route. Appreciate your response and help
Old Jul 13th 2015, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

Marshal is an unknown quantity at this point

What was the answer? I'm in the same situation.

Hi. I am new to this site so hope my post is in the right place.

I am a South African living in London. Have had British citizenship by descent since I was a minor. Recently tried to renew my SA passport in London and was told I need to prove when and how I got British citizenship because, as a minor, I did not have to get approval to have dual citizenship. Basically, unless you have a letter from Home Affairs giving you approval to have dual citizenship, you stand to lose your SA citizenship, unless you were a minor at the time.

Old Jul 14th 2015, 8:24 am
Just Joined

Hi Marshal.

In the end, I went to SA and applied for a new passport there. They didnt ask any questions about dual citizenship or proof of how I got it, and I got my passport 6 weeks later (my mother collected it and couriered it to me because I had returned to the UK). This is the best solution if you can do this.
However, the other option, if you are not going to be returning to SA, is to apply for a Confirmation of Nationality Status (Form NS) from the UK Home office. This costs 85 pounds. I applied for this as well, and it does take a long time to get it. I think it took about 5-6 months for me to get this form from them after paying for it. But from what I believe, this form is sufficient for you to prove how you got citizenship.
There is also a very useful forum on Facebook - SA Citizenship Revoked (I think this is what it is called). There are a lot of South Africans in similar predicaments having lost their SA citizenship or trying to renew passports from abroad and it helps to hear their experiences and solutions.

Good luck!!
Old Jul 29th 2015, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

eliscolin has a brilliant futureeliscolin has a brilliant futureeliscolin has a brilliant futureeliscolin has a brilliant futureeliscolin has a brilliant futureeliscolin has a brilliant future

I also renewed my Passport in SA last time around. I got them to send it to my brothers address and he forwarded it to me in the UK.....however that was when I was last in SA 16 years ago!!

I have heard all types of problems recently with renewals at the SA Embassy in London. They have an agenda regarding Citizenships....even with born and bred South Africans.

IMHO South Africa seems to be walking a fine line between breaking international law and agreements. For example my father has lived in the UK for the last 22 years and only now have SA authorities started taxing one of his SA Pensions - and according to the UK Tax Authorities is actually a violation of a tax agreement signed between SA and Britain!!

Nothing surprises me any more.
Old Jul 31st 2015, 12:19 am
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if anyone else has heard about this but in my chat with my nephew yesterday, he told me Zuma and cronies are looking at forcing folk to give up dual nationality. My nephew lives in Joburg at the moment but feels that if they are forced into this decision, they need to leave. ( Wish they did before now.) With only a South African passport, you are truly trapped.
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 12:53 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tegwyn
I wonder if anyone else has heard about this but in my chat with my nephew yesterday, he told me Zuma and cronies are looking at forcing folk to give up dual nationality. My nephew lives in Joburg at the moment but feels that if they are forced into this decision, they need to leave. ( Wish they did before now.) With only a South African passport, you are truly trapped.
Not the hardest decision to make, if you have dual citizenship.

I see Zuma's wife is now under suspicion for trying to poison him. Finally a Zuma who is worthy of our support!
Old Aug 5th 2015, 5:57 am
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ededed
Not the hardest decision to make, if you have dual citizenship.

I see Zuma's wife is now under suspicion for trying to poison him. Finally a Zuma who is worthy of our support!
Jeepers, can't they get anything right...