One way flight ticket

Old Jul 25th 2013, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

ukguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default One way flight ticket

Hello everyone,

I have had my UK property on the market since September last year and today finally exchanged contracts, the completion date is set for next Thursday.

If completion is successful, 2 or 3 weeks after that I plan to fly to S/A, I have a friend in Johannesburg who I will stay with this friend also knows a solicitor who is going to apply for a Visa on my behalf. We visited the solicitor back in January when I was last in SA.

Normally I would buy a return flight ticket but I do not know how long the visa application will take so I would rather buy a single ticket, wait for the outcome of the visa application the decide when I want to fly back to the UK.

Will buying a one way ticket cause me problems at the airport entering SA?
I see some programmes on Australia and New Zealand customs where anyone with a single ticket is viewed with suspicion and questioned in case they plan to stay in the country illegally/overstay.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One way flight ticket

Originally Posted by ukguy
Will buying a one way ticket cause me problems at the airport entering SA?
You know the rules or you ought to know them at this stage. If you ignore them, be prepared to be denied entry at the SA entry airport or even denied boarding on the UK side.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

I know I am allowed into SA for 90 days without a visa but I do not want to book a return for 90 days later as my Permanent Visa application should be ready much sooner.
If I do not get a permanent Visa granted I will stay in SA for 90 days.

If I do get the permanent visa then I plan to fly back early to the UK and finalise everything before returning to SA.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

I know I am allowed into SA for 90 days without a visa but I do not want to book a return for 90 days later as my Permanent Visa application should be ready much sooner.
If I do not get a permanent Visa granted I will stay in SA for 90 days.

If I do get the permanent visa then I plan to fly back early to the UK and finalise everything before returning to SA.
Fine. None of this means you do not need a return ticket.

Tourists and similar are issued with a 'tourist' visa on arrival at the SA port of entry, usually valid for a max of 90 days and on production of a return ticket and any other relevant info that may be demanded on entry. That, I assume, is what you are referring to when you talk about entering 'without a visa'.

Sounds to me as though you have not done your homework. Many don't. They then learn the hard way.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Pablo. As things stand, you will be treated as a visitor/tourist and should be given a 90 day visa without any problems, but this isn't a right, and immigration normally want to see proof of a return or onward travel ticket. There's also a significant risk that you'll be denied boarding in the UK, because the airlines have a duty to check passengers documentation and ensure that it complies with the destination country's requirements. This came up on another thread recently, but I can't remember if it was on this forum or another one. The poster had to purchase a return ticket at Heathrow before she could board.

The best and safest option is to get a return ticket which allows you to change the return date while you're in SA if you want to. This will be a lot less expensive than having to buy another single ticket from SA to the UK during the departure process, or face denial of entry when you get there.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

Thank-you Martyn for the information. I am pleased I asked.

I will purchase a return ticket that I change the return flight date on.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 5:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Can you apply for a visa when in SA ? Most countries expect you to apply for a visa before you arrive !
Old Jul 26th 2013, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Can you apply for a visa when in SA ? Most countries expect you to apply for a visa before you arrive !
It depends on the passport you hold, and many visitors don't have to apply for a visa in advance. Have a look here for details: http://www.home-affairs.gov.za/index...empt-countries. The UK is on this list. Visitors who qualify will be given a visa - technically a visitor's permit - valid for up to 90 days on arrival, but immigration officials usually want to see a return or onward travel ticket, and they can ask for proof that you have sufficient funds to support yourself while you're in the country.

South Africans visiting the UK didn't have to apply for visas in advance either, until a few years ago. There's talk of SA introducing a formal visa application process for visitors from the UK now, as a reciprocal step, but this hasn't been implemented yet. Most SA businesses - and the tourism industry - see it as a misguided 'reprisal', but it's definitely under consideration.
Old Jul 27th 2013, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

Martyn, is there a limit to how much cash can be carried into SA via the airport?
Old Jul 27th 2013, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Martyn, is there a limit to how much cash can be carried into SA via the airport?
I'm not absolutely sure about this, I have an SA bank account and I've never given it any thought. The best answer I can find is ZAR 5,000 in cash and an unlimited amount in foreign currency and traveller's cheques, providing you declare it on entry. (http://www.iatatravelcentre.com/ZA-S...ns-details.htm). That seems to be authoritative, but rules change and I can't guarantee that it's correct. You could try calling the SA High Commission in London, but getting through to anyone and dealing with South African 'officials' can be rather frustrating!

The chances of being stopped at customs are fairly slim, but it does happen and I wouldn't encourage anyone to take chances with this, particularly if you're applying for permanent residence.

FWIW, carrying large amounts of cash in SA isn't a good idea in any case. I don't want to exaggerate the crime risks - which I assume you're aware of - but I've worked in security consulting for +30 years and I'd advise you not to underestimate them either. Criminals target foreign visitors at airports - particularly OR Tambo - and I've been involved in several cases where clients were followed and robbed en route to their destinations, or on arrival. Take care.
Old Jul 27th 2013, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

Many thanks Martyn for your time in answering my queries.

I will of course make checks before I fly out to SA but it is great to hear the experiences of others.
Old Jul 27th 2013, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Glad I could help. Just post any other questions you have, or send me a PM. I've spent most of the last three years in the UK, but Ed (EdEdEd) is often on the forum and lives in Joburg. I'm going back soon, and one of us should be able to answer you.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 7:39 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pablo
You know the rules or you ought to know them at this stage. If you ignore them, be prepared to be denied entry at the SA entry airport or even denied boarding on the UK side.
Hey Pablo, welcome back. Good to see you are still around.

Originally Posted by MartynK
South Africans visiting the UK didn't have to apply for visas in advance either, until a few years ago. There's talk of SA introducing a formal visa application process for visitors from the UK now, as a reciprocal step, but this hasn't been implemented yet. Most SA businesses - and the tourism industry - see it as a misguided 'reprisal', but it's definitely under consideration.
And knowing the pettiness of the South African goverment, it is entirely likely - it will be a populist grandstanding gesture to show those bloody bastard agents, while all but killing the tourism industry at the same time. Still, at least we'll have showed 'em, hey?

FWIW, carrying large amounts of cash in SA isn't a good idea in any case. I don't want to exaggerate the crime risks - which I assume you're aware of - but I've worked in security consulting for +30 years and I'd advise you not to underestimate them either. Criminals target foreign visitors at airports - particularly OR Tambo - and I've been involved in several cases where clients were followed and robbed en route to their destinations, or on arrival. Take care.
Yup - happened again last week. Almost certainly an insider job too. Customs stop someone, see they have valuables, tip off the bad guys who are waiting outside and they follow you home - hitting you as you drive through your gate or arrive at the hotel. Often dressed as cops too.

Glad I could help. Just post any other questions you have, or send me a PM. I've spent most of the last three years in the UK, but Ed (EdEdEd) is often on the forum and lives in Joburg. I'm going back soon, and one of us should be able to answer you.
I hope we're going to have a beer...?
Old Jul 29th 2013, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ededed
Hey Pablo, welcome back. Good to see you are still around.
Thanks, Ed. Yes, still here - and I have been monitoring your progress with interest, but didn't get round to sending a message.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 11:00 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pablo
Thanks, Ed. Yes, still here - and I have been monitoring your progress with interest, but didn't get round to sending a message.
Yeah. I've become cycnical and depressed. As you predicted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.