Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa > South Africa
Reload this Page >

Moving to Cape Town with three kids!

Moving to Cape Town with three kids!

Old Apr 15th 2015, 11:27 am
Just Joined

KarD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Cape Town with three kids!

hi all

My husband has a job in Cape Town and i plan on moving out from Scotland with our three kids 12,10 & 6 in the next year! Was wondering if any of you have kids at Parklands College, what you think of it and which suburb you live in as i have heard that Parklands is not the best area to live in! Open to any advice really as we dont mind how far out of the city we are....we just need to be near a private school and a soccer academy for my boys! (The deal breaker for my sporty offspring).

Many thanks in advance � ����

Last edited by KarD; Apr 15th 2015 at 12:15 pm.
Old Apr 15th 2015, 5:33 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Moving to Cape Town with three kids!

Also does anybody have any knowledge of Hermanus? My husband is keen on this area but im not sure if it's more suited for retirement? That is if anybody is on here?!? � ����
Old Apr 16th 2015, 3:26 am
Just Joined

UKladyinOZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi have you spoken to people with kids who live in Cape Town?
I lived in Zim with kids and had family in CT, you are aware of the differences you will find in safety issues I take it?
You live behind high gates, my brother-in- law drove with a gun under the seat ( apparently universal there) kids cannot be left unsupervised...even when you fill the car with petrol...I left my child in car seat in Zim to pay for petrol and my sister in law from CT was horrified as she was used to security/safety issues and would never do that....that was 20 years ago. Maybe check out if you haven't so far, other features besides the private schools.

Good luck with your move
Old Apr 16th 2015, 7:01 am
Just Joined

Thankyou so much for your reply and your advice! Yes, i am aware of safety aspects as my husband is already working between SA and Congo at the moment, which is why i'd like advice on schools/areas! He is keen on Hermanus due to him feeling it is safer there, but i have no idea about schools/kids activities there!
Old Apr 16th 2015, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

UKladyinOZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi well you are doing the right thing enquiring all you can. I went to Zimbabwe totally 'blind' there was no internet then..can you connect with other mums to find out more beforehand? Maybe an internet search fo mums networking sites?
Old Apr 16th 2015, 3:22 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Hi KarD

I don't know Cape Town / Parklands well (other posters will be along to provide advice soon I'm sure), but I do know Hermanus and it's beautiful. Very quiet and peaceful but not just suited to retirement. It is a bit of a slog to drive from there to CT every day, but it's a beautiful road and there are worse drives you could do. Of course, like every town it has its crime issues, but you could do a lot worse than live there with kids.

Let us know if you have any specific questions and we'll be happy to answer them,

Cheers

Ed
Old Apr 16th 2015, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Hi I am from Cape Town and know it pretty well albeit that I lived in Constantia. If you mean Parklands near Bloubergstrand up West Coast I don't know it personally but it is an area that is new with lots of houses and young families and affordable. If you mean Parklands near Athlone, leave it alone!!!!!!!!!!!! Full of gangs.

Hermanus is lovely but too far to commute to CT daily. You will want to be somewhere where there are quite a few other expats and I would say safest bet if you can afford it is the Constantia, Bergvliet, Meadowridge area or Newlands, Rondebosch as well to look at.

There are wonderful private schools in the Southern Suburbs.

The crime in Cape Town is not nearly as bad as the rest of SA. I have loads of family there and friends and they seem pretty chilled. I go on holiday every year for 3 months to CT and both my OH and myself do not feel threatened at all.

Just be extra vigilent as if you are living in a city like London!

You can send me private message if you want any more info and I will ask my friends who live there with kids for advice!
Old Apr 16th 2015, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

Thankyou both so much....I shall continue with my research! And Zimbabwe with no internet?! So brave!!� ����x
Old Apr 16th 2015, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

Ah feelbritish thanx so much for clearing the Parklands confusion up for me!! i think my husband and I defo have crossed wires on these as he is getting lots of adivce from SA friends (apparently on the Athlone one) and i am referring to the Bloubergstrand Parklands! Difficult for us communicating long distance at the mo! Your advice has been most helpful, I shall look up some schools in southern suburbs and PM you some questions if you don't mind! Thanks again � ����