Mossel Bay?

Old May 24th 2016, 5:43 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mossel Bay?

What's it like as a place?

Also, would a foreign chef be able to get a work permit and work legally? This person would have a set of skills that no S.African would have.

With S.African backing how much of a ballache would it be to be legal?
Old May 29th 2016, 7:00 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mossel Bay?

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
What's it like as a place?

Also, would a foreign chef be able to get a work permit and work legally? This person would have a set of skills that no S.African would have.

With S.African backing how much of a ballache would it be to be legal?
It's very nice. One of SA's better areas too.

Check the critical skills list here http://www.dha.gov.za/images/immigra...cal_skills.pdf

If chef isn't there (and I had a quick look and couldn't see it) then you're going to find it near impossible to live legally. You might find cash work (and many do) but you won't be able to rent a house or open a bank account and run the risk of deportation. Personally I wouldn't risk it - Home Affairs are incompetent and probably won't find you until you ever try and leave SA (getting in is a cinch) but they'll hammer you when you leave and you don't want to spend any time in an African prison if you can help it.
Old Oct 21st 2016, 10:04 am
Just Joined

ashley9505 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mossel Bay?

I live in George which is about 40 km from Mossel Bay and most people I know can't stand the place. I'm also not a fan. Mossel Bay is supposed to be the start of the Garden Route but in fairness it feels nothing like the rest of the route. There are areas around it which are quite nice - Groot Brak Rivier and Klein Brak Rivier for example.

I'd agree with the advice above though. Don't come if you don't already have a work permit. You won't be able to get one here, you'll have to contend with strict affirmative action laws and shitty pay and you'll be destined to live a miserable life trying to make ends meet without the ability to get a bank account or rent a place to live. And yes, the Home Affairs Department are by far one of the most incompetent government agencies in the country.

Last edited by ashley9505; Oct 21st 2016 at 10:11 am.