Medical requirements in SA

Old Jul 23rd 2016, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

Bexter_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medical requirements in SA

My family and I are looking at moving to SA. I am currently on a couple of different medications which in the UK I get on regular prescription (Thyroxine and Asacol). Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to obtain these medications in South Africa? Would I need to register with a local GP and receive medications in the same way, or would I be able to get them over the counter at the pharmacy, or would I need to obtain a particular health insurance plan to cover them?

Any assistance/knowledge in respect of this would be very much appreciated.
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical requirements in SA

I'm not a doctor and I don't know anything about these drugs but, if you need a prescription in the UK, I'm pretty sure you'll need one in SA too. The drug classifications and prescription requirements are broadly comparable.

If you do decide to emigrate, I'd strongly advise you to take a copy of your medical records and ask your doctor for a letter describing your condition etc. There's no NHS system in SA, and nearly all doctors are in private practice, but you won't have any difficulty finding one. He/she will advise you and any pharmacist will be able to provide your drugs with a prescription. The procedure is exactly the same as the UK, except that you have to pay for it!

Some employers offer health insurance (known as medical aid) but many don't, and you'll probably have to obtain this yourself. There are a lot of different plans available, with varying levels of cover, deductibles, caps and premiums, but it can be pretty expensive, particularly if you're used to the NHS. You can get a good idea of the sort of cover available, and the costs, online; and there are brokers who can advise you.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.
Old Jul 24th 2016, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

Bexter_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Medical requirements in SA

Thanks for your response, it's a good place to start!