A Long Way To Go

Old Dec 18th 2013, 8:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default A Long Way To Go

Have things really improved for the majority ?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...s-8827787.html
Old Dec 18th 2013, 3:32 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Long Way To Go

Originally Posted by scot47
Have things really improved for the majority ?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...s-8827787.html
Why are you surprised.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 6:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I am not. I wanted some reality after all the media hype and hypocrisy over the last fortnight.
Old Dec 19th 2013, 5:16 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

I am not. I wanted some reality after all the media hype and hypocrisy over the last fortnight.
Hypocrisy?
Old Dec 19th 2013, 10:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The eulogies from those who had done nothing to change South Africa during the struggles against Apartheid - and I do not just mean Conservative politicos !
Old Dec 19th 2013, 2:38 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

The eulogies from those who had done nothing to change South Africa during the struggles against Apartheid - and I do not just mean Conservative politicos !
I'm battling to see the link between that and Marikana.
Old Dec 21st 2013, 6:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Marikana showed that workers who organise to defend their rights are still massacred. What has changed since the end of apartheid ? IUs life better under Zuma than it was under the Afrikaners ?
Old Dec 21st 2013, 6:12 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Marikana showed that workers who organise to defend their rights are still massacred. What has changed since the end of apartheid ? IUs life better under Zuma than it was under the Afrikaners ?
I'm not dismissing it, but you are taking one terrible incident to illustrate what you are saying? Would you care to google Kent State shootings and Jackson state shootings? Students that demonstrated in America, and were shot dead by the authorities

Are you really unsure of what has happened since the end of apartheid?
Old Dec 22nd 2013, 2:21 am

Well, I'm no Zuma apologist, but if I was black I think I'd appreciate the ability to move freely, talk to anyone, go to movies, malls and bars, sit on any bench and use any toilet, vote, etc etc. is it perfect? No. But suggesting the natives didn't know how lucky they were to be oppressed is view that can get you arrested in most civilized countries.

Marikana happened because a private company (Lonmin) refused to give militant workers a massive unsustainable salary increase. They were armed, and rushed at the police who weren't trained or organized enough to respond appropriately. They panicked and opened fire. A terrible tragedy but hardly representative that Mandela failed South Africa.

You seem to suggest apartheid was a good thing?
Old Dec 22nd 2013, 4:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No. I am saying that there is a long way to go
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 5:57 am
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

No. I am saying that there is a long way to go
Of course there's a long way to go - and the destination depends on your point of view - but the overwhelming majority of the electorate are black, and they will determine who governs the country and its direction.

Marikana was tragic and it's debatable if all the questions about it will ever be answered, but it's been completely overshadowed by the Nklandla scandal and the puerile attempts to whitewash it. Thuli Madonsela has shown remarkable courage and integrity, and her report will be released soon. It won't threaten the ANC's position significantly, but there's a lot of anger in the country and it will have far more impact than Marikana.