is it legal?

Old Feb 1st 2015, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

KEITH STEPHEN is an unknown quantity at this point
Default is it legal?

I have a friend leaving RSA for UK soon, can I give him my expired British Passport and ask him to have it renewed for me and then send it back to me is RSA?
Old Feb 1st 2015, 4:42 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is it legal?

Originally Posted by KEITH STEPHEN
I have a friend leaving RSA for UK soon, can I give him my expired British Passport and ask him to have it renewed for me and then send it back to me is RSA?
I wouldn't!

If your passport hasn't been expired for too long, just apply online for the renewal.

If it's been expired a long time, you may have to reapply for a first passport
Old Feb 5th 2015, 12:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I think he will have to mail you the form to complete and sign, then you mail it back to him to send in with your passport. IIRC the "domestic" application form is only available in the UK, and not downloadable from overseas. .... It really depends how much you trust your friend.
Old Feb 5th 2015, 5:45 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

You can't, or rather, you shouldn't do that. HMPO had a fit when my brother told them he was going to do it (I was having problems replacing my stolen passport) for me. Somewhere in the instructions it says that you must be in the UK at the time of applying.
Old Feb 5th 2015, 5:52 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 37100
You can't, or rather, you shouldn't do that. HMPO had a fit when my brother told them he was going to do it (I was having problems replacing my stolen passport) for me. Somewhere in the instructions it says that you must be in the UK at the time of applying.
To use a much over-used phrase, it really IS a victimless crime. When all British passports are processed in the UK it is utterly despicable that British Citizens outside the UK are charged more to obtain a passport, except to the extent that the extra charge defrays courier costs.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 5th 2015 at 5:55 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2015, 7:01 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
To use a much over-used phrase, it really IS a victimless crime. When all British passports are processed in the UK it is utterly despicable that British Citizens outside the UK are charged more to obtain a passport, except to the extent that the extra charge defrays courier costs.
Plus translation charges because we have to provide proof of residency in English. An I.D. card isn't enough because it is proof of I.D, but not residency.
Old Feb 5th 2015, 7:06 pm

Plus translation charges because we have to provide proof of residency in English. An I.D. card isn't enough because it is proof of I.D, but not residency.
You've lost me. I have never applied for a British passport from a non-English speaking country, or indeed from anywhere outside the UK.
Old Feb 5th 2015, 7:28 pm
Concierge

You've lost me. I have never applied for a British passport from a non-English speaking country, or indeed from anywhere outside the UK.
Sorry, me, not you. Being in Italy, we have to add that to the cost.

We'll get told off soon for inappropriate use of the welcome in.
Old Feb 5th 2015, 7:48 pm

Sorry, me, not you. Being in Italy, we have to add that to the cost. .....
Sooooo, what is it that you are being asked to provide, with a translation?
Old Feb 5th 2015, 8:00 pm
Concierge

Sooooo, what is it that you are being asked to provide, with a translation?
Proof of address.
Old Feb 5th 2015, 9:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

As the Welcome Inn is purely for introductions...I am moving your post over to our South Africa forums.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Feb 5th 2015 at 9:41 pm.