Huh?

Old Feb 13th 2014, 7:06 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Huh?

How will torching a community hall, library and clinic improve the lives of these protesters?

http://www.iol.co.za/business/news/p...7#.Uv0jVfmSwpk
Old Feb 13th 2014, 8:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Huh?

I can't and won't but that is the mindset over there, sadly.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 5:13 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
I can't and won't but that is the mindset over there, sadly.
Sadly, that mindset is only the tip of the iceberg
Old Feb 14th 2014, 6:30 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Chap was killed 2kms from my house in a road rage incident this morning. Apparently a biker and a car had an argument, biker confronted the driver and was shot twice for his troubles. The traffic lights have been out for 4 days at a major intersection nearby - so hour long delays were common. Meanwhile, the police were 500m away nailing people for being on cellphones.

And this on the anniversary of Reeva Steenkamp's murder (sorry, "accidental shooting").

At least Zuma painted a rosy picture at the state of the nation address last night, so that's ok. I was worried for a while.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 7:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

That sucks big time.

Why are the S.A. police not focussing on REAL crime (rhetorical Q). S.A. is not a first world country, but the police think it is.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 8:21 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
That sucks big time.

Why are the S.A. police not focussing on REAL crime (rhetorical Q). S.A. is not a first world country, but the police think it is.
The police are so efficient here, they often get to the scene of a crime before it's actually happened
Old Feb 14th 2014, 9:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ededed
The police are so efficient here, they often get to the scene of a crime before it's actually happened

Could be an side job, maybe???
Old Feb 14th 2014, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
How will torching a community hall, library and clinic improve the lives of these protesters?

http://www.iol.co.za/business/news/p...7#.Uv0jVfmSwpk
It won't, but the ANC lit the fuse with their campaign to make the country ungovernable back in the 70s and 80s. It's also difficult to prevent this sort of thing when people believe that violent, destructive, protests get results.

The UK also has a long history of rioting, going back into the medieval period, and most recently in 2011. The poll tax riots contributed to Thatcher’s fall, and the tax was scrapped shortly after that. It's not just SA.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 3:56 pm
Banned

Meanwhile the shit has been flying in Cape town.

Old Feb 19th 2014, 5:33 am
Just Joined

Steyner2011 has much to be proud ofSteyner2011 has much to be proud ofSteyner2011 has much to be proud ofSteyner2011 has much to be proud ofSteyner2011 has much to be proud ofSteyner2011 has much to be proud ofSteyner2011 has much to be proud ofSteyner2011 has much to be proud ofSteyner2011 has much to be proud ofSteyner2011 has much to be proud ofSteyner2011 has much to be proud of

Unfortunately the police here are understaffed and do not have the resources. Average time for cops to get to scene of a crime is 10 mins. However where I live we have a very efficient neighborhood watch that are on scene within 2 mins of a call out. They work very closely with Saps and it's normally the watch that get to you first.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 8:13 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steyner2011
Unfortunately the police here are understaffed and do not have the resources.
How about under skilled and always open to a bribe.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 6:17 am
Just Joined

Steyner2011 has much to be proud ofSteyner2011 has much to be proud ofSteyner2011 has much to be proud ofSteyner2011 has much to be proud ofSteyner2011 has much to be proud ofSteyner2011 has much to be proud ofSteyner2011 has much to be proud ofSteyner2011 has much to be proud ofSteyner2011 has much to be proud ofSteyner2011 has much to be proud ofSteyner2011 has much to be proud of

That too unfortunately.......
Old Feb 20th 2014, 1:16 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Tegwyn
How about under skilled and always open to a bribe.
That's very true. Among the security estates on the west coast, the estates with the lowest crime rates are those which have dispensed with guards at their gates in favour of electronic swipe cards.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 5:20 am
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
That's very true. Among the security estates on the west coast, the estates with the lowest crime rates are those which have dispensed with guards at their gates in favour of electronic swipe cards.
The guards are usually the weakest link in the access control system, but it's a thankless job. Most of them are poorly trained, badly paid, work long hours and are often abused if there's any delay in gaining entry. Bribery is a problem too, and they're vulnerable to intimidation.

My son and his family live in a gated/walled development in Joburg and I went there for dinner last night. The guard couldn't get in touch with them on the intercom and asked if they were expecting me. I said yes, told him I was the resident's father and offered to call him on my cellphone, but he said it was "OK" and opened the gate for me. I don't suppose I fit the stereotype of a criminal, but he broke the SOPs. The guy was trying to be helpful though, and neither my son or I have any intention of reporting this.

Last edited by MartynK; Feb 21st 2014 at 5:27 am.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by MartynK
The guards are usually the weakest link in the access control system, but it's a thankless job. Most of them are poorly trained, badly paid, work long hours and are often abused if there's any delay in gaining entry. Bribery is a problem too, and they're vulnerable to intimidation.

My son and his family live in a gated/walled development in Joburg and I went there for dinner last night. The guard couldn't get in touch with them on the intercom and asked if they were expecting me. I said yes, told him I was the resident's father and offered to call him on my cellphone, but he said it was "OK" and opened the gate for me. I don't suppose I fit the stereotype of a criminal, but he broke the SOPs. The guy was trying to be helpful though, and neither my son or I have any intention of reporting this.
+1.

The intercom hasn't worked in a year at my complex and the guards let anyone in - if they pass the "probably looks ok" test.

The police are corrupt because they are also badly paid - but this is massively compounded by the fact they are poorly managed, unsupervised and led by senior officers who are also incompetent, corrupt and lazy - who are in turn managed by government who wrote the book on it.

The fish is rotten at the head. But people still vote ANC.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.