Hi there from Johannesburg

Old Jul 8th 2013, 10:47 am
Just Joined

keithgray7231 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi there from Johannesburg

Hi All, I'm Keith and have just moved to Jo'burg. I'm looking for some advice on getting internet at the house where I'm staying. Do I need to contact Telkom first? Help appreciated, K
Old Jul 8th 2013, 12:53 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi there from Johannesburg

Hi Keith and welcome to the forum . Thanks for introducing yourself in the Welcome Inn.

You'll need to repost any questions in the Africa section, which you can find under Rest of World from the main index page. That's where you will find any S African residents. Hope you find the answers you are looking for
Old Jul 8th 2013, 12:55 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Keith,

Just as BB was replying I moved your thread to our South Africa forum for you (great minds think alike )

I'm sure someone in this section will be able to point you in the right direction.

Welcome to BE and the best of luck moving to you new home.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 7:03 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the the advice - just what you'd expect a newbie to do eh?
Old Jul 10th 2013, 12:37 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Keith, and welcome

There are 2 ways of doing this - either mobile internet (a USB dongle) from vodacom, MTN or Cell C (expect to pay around R400 a month for 2gb) and the coverage will be patchy - but you will be mobile so can take it anywhere.

Alternatively, go to Telkom and get a line installed, and then either use Telkom or Mweb as ISPs. Mweb are cheaper - and can do a deal on a wireless modem and line rental, etc - on a 24 month contract with unlimited downloads (although your price will depend on your speed - which they can govern).

I use Telkom and pay R700 a month for 16gb of downloads on a 4mb line - which is ok but they slow it down at 7pm for some reason - due to capacity I guess. We only have one cable that connects us to the world!

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards

Ed

Last edited by ededed; Jul 10th 2013 at 1:03 pm.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

Hi Ed,
Great advice thanks. The line is actually already installed but inactive so need to communicate with Telkom first to get that done then Telkom or Mweb. Do you know of Afrihost? The seem to have a good rating.
I'd like to let you know how I get on and will certainly take you up on your offer of more questions Cheers, Keith
Old Jul 10th 2013, 1:18 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keithgray7231
Hi Ed,
Great advice thanks. The line is actually already installed but inactive so need to communicate with Telkom first to get that done then Telkom or Mweb. Do you know of Afrihost? The seem to have a good rating.
I'd like to let you know how I get on and will certainly take you up on your offer of more questions Cheers, Keith
Hi Keith,

No - I don't know them at all. Getting your line activated by Telkom may take a while, and they may need to upgrade to ADSL. Have patience.

Mweb are cheaper but their service is notoriously poor. Telkom have got a lot better and I've been generally happy (touches every piece of wood he can find).

4mb per second is more like 2m/s but it's usually ok for streaming and downloading. You get used to it...
Old Jul 10th 2013, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

Hi Ed, Thanks for the warning about how long things take. I'll take a look at Afrihost anyway and pass on what I find. Cheers,
Old Jul 10th 2013, 4:28 pm

Hi Ed, Thanks for the warning about how long things take. I'll take a look at Afrihost anyway and pass on what I find. Cheers,
No worries. Without ranting, I've not been able to connect to anything today with what can be described as even basic speeds. It's been spirit-crushingly bad. Telkom and Vodacom. Connections dropping and losing signal. For 20 minutes on my way home I had zero signal - not even voice. Truly terrible...

www.gettingreallyhackedoff.com
Old Jul 11th 2013, 10:05 am
Just Joined

Hi, yes I got introduced early on to "TIA" and everything that goes with it. It seems to be the reason for delays, slow and / or poor service, breakdowns and so on. It is amazing though there are some things that work very well. Chin up! We're off to Telkom today to get things started ...
Old Jul 11th 2013, 10:14 am

Hi, yes I got introduced early on to "TIA" and everything that goes with it. It seems to be the reason for delays, slow and / or poor service, breakdowns and so on. It is amazing though there are some things that work very well. Chin up! We're off to Telkom today to get things started ...
Thanks! Yeah, it was a bad day yesterday. I'm off this weekend on the bike to Dullstroom which will be great - that will recharge the batteries and rekindle my enthusiasm. I hope.

TIA indeed, although it is getting worse - in areas. A friend was out from London last month and he said he couldn't get over how good the general levels of service were compared to the UK. That means things must have gone down in the last few years over there!
Old Jul 11th 2013, 10:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ededed
Thanks! Yeah, it was a bad day yesterday. I'm off this weekend on the bike to Dullstroom which will be great - that will recharge the batteries and rekindle my enthusiasm. I hope.

TIA indeed, although it is getting worse - in areas. A friend was out from London last month and he said he couldn't get over how good the general levels of service were compared to the UK. That means things must have gone down in the last few years over there!

Dullstroom!
Old Jul 11th 2013, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Dullstroom!
No internet coverage. Dodgy roads. Just like Joburg
Old Jul 11th 2013, 10:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ededed
No internet coverage. Dodgy roads. Just like Joburg
Freedom at last!

Motorbike?