Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa > South Africa
Reload this Page >

Cost of living in South Africa

Cost of living in South Africa

Old Jul 7th 2011, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

ubdai will become famous soon enoughubdai will become famous soon enough
Default Cost of living in South Africa

Thinking of applying for a job in South Africa.

So need to know how does the cost of living compare with that in the UK ie groceries, petrol etc.
(Just saves time in the long run of saying yes, then finding out we can't afford to live.)

Salary after tax would be the same as UK, so not going for the money. just going for the experience of working in another country.

Thanks
ubdai

Last edited by ubdai; Jul 7th 2011 at 10:59 am.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

Location: Beautiful Garden Route of South Africa, hoping to return to equally beautiful Kent soon!
MagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really nice
Default Re: Cost of living in South Africa

I think what add to the cost of living in SA is not the day-to-day expenses like housing, petrol and groceries, but the added expenses like insurance, medical aid (essential and very expensive), security etc. Depending on where you are planning to live, you can probably find a 2-bed town house to rent for anything between R3500 - R5000 pm. Petrol is much cheaper than in the UK. You will need a car and those are rather expenseve. Groceries I'd say are actually priced very much the same as in the UK. You can have a look here for an indication of grocery prices on the Pick n Pay website: https://www.pnponline.co.za/ProductL...Name=Groceries (PnP is a large supermarket chain)
Old Jul 7th 2011, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

ubdai will become famous soon enoughubdai will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by MagsB
I think what add to the cost of living in SA is not the day-to-day expenses like housing, petrol and groceries, but the added expenses like insurance, medical aid (essential and very expensive), security etc. Depending on where you are planning to live, you can probably find a 2-bed town house to rent for anything between R3500 - R5000 pm. Petrol is much cheaper than in the UK. You will need a car and those are rather expenseve. Groceries I'd say are actually priced very much the same as in the UK. You can have a look here for an indication of grocery prices on the Pick n Pay website: https://www.pnponline.co.za/ProductL...Name=Groceries (PnP is a large supermarket chain)
Some of the items I checked seem cheaper than UK. Is there a hidden sales charge like what some states in the US have.

ubdai
Old Jul 7th 2011, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ubdai
Some of the items I checked seem cheaper than UK. Is there a hidden sales charge like what some states in the US have.

ubdai
No, VAT is included in prices in SA
Old Jul 8th 2011, 1:48 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ubdai

ubdai
Some of the items, yes. Wine, meat, beer are probably cheaper. Veggies and fruit about the same, cars, mobile phones and electrical items are more expensive. There was a heated debate about the cost of eating out about a year ago - my view is still that you can eat out well here for cheaper than you can in the UK. I guess it depends on your views of 'well".

CPI is much higher here than in the UK - so it's going to get worse eventually. Also, a volatile rand and our dependency on imports is a factor to consider.

You can live in a bigger house with a pool and garden, and employ a maid on a decent salary - something only the uber-rich can do in England.

As Maddy says - there are hidden costs which you should consider a tax - security for your house and car, medical aid, soon-to-be introduced toll roads in Joburg and health insurance...

Good luck, shout if you need any specific information.

Ed
Old Jul 10th 2011, 7:14 pm
Just Joined

johnwarner75 is an unknown quantity at this point

South Africans dream of being paid in Sterling or Euros. you will find £'s go very far in R's.

Although used cars are extremely expensive!
Old Jul 26th 2011, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

After last year's visit , I can't believe how expensive South Africa has become ; it used to be one of the cheaper places to live , on this our Earth ( although the cars' prices always were a problem , as well as anything slightly advanced , from car-tyres to televisions ) ;
I attribute this to an overpriced exchange rate ( similar to Australia or Canada , sadly ) ; ;
Still a good steak is not a bad value in a steakhouse ( unless they have overcooked it beware : often they are clueless ) , the wine is not good value anywhere for what you get , neither is the local beer , nor the clothes at Woolworths .
Then again , if you have a good job on offer : try the experience !
Don't worry about the groceries' cost .
But , the real costs also lie elsewheres : the armed response , the alarms , the medical , what not , coming from the UK , you might be amazed .
Old Jul 26th 2011, 5:26 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray51
the wine is not good value anywhere for what you get , neither is the local beer.

Seriously? You have been spolit with all that Fine Belgian wine then? SAB are about the most decorated beer company in the world - in fact I think the 2nd biggest through acquisition, hardly the mark of a company that produces overpriced, poor quality beer...

I'm astounded.....the wine is cheap, plentiful and fantastic.....
Old Jul 26th 2011, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

We all have our opinions ;
I think that the food in South Africa can be quite good and eating out in some cities can still be good value for money ( if you know where to go to eat out ) ; the wines usually are overrated and Castle and Lion lagers are nothing special , maybe the Windhoek one is better ?
I am aware of the great success of the SAB through acquisitions ; this shows successful management and accountants , not neccessarily a great product .
There is many a good thing about South Africa but with the recent Rand exchange rate , the pricing is not really among those .
If you are interested : a thoroughly drinkable Bordeaux red wine is on sale in supemarkets of France at 1 Euro 29 cents/bottle , and a 2 l bottle of mineral water is 1 Euro or thereabouts ; a top-quality baked ham is on offer at my local supermarket at Euro 9,99/kg and there are many other interesting propositions . That's just one aspect - the assortment is another one .
Old Jul 27th 2011, 6:36 am

Bordeaux? Now I know you need help..... You'll be comparing Boschendal to Blue Nun next...

Agree about SAB, but they had to have a good product to be successful to get enough money to have the ability to acquire bigger companies, no? I'm a good manager but don't have the cash to take over Apple - yet.

Your most pertinent point is about knowing where to eat. The major chains and tourist hotspots are over-priced, give indifferent service and average food. It's the hidden secrets that are world class, but I suppose this is true of any city?
Old Jul 27th 2011, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

A case of arguing where to place the deckchairs on the Titanic.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

From own experiences and locals' explanations , I think that the cost of groceries is a relatively minor consideration , whether you drink Boschendal , Tassies or lager ; same with eating out , once you know where to do it and have a little spare cash or credit ;
but : try and retire in Western Cape and see how much medical cover will cost for an older person who is joining a local scheme ; then comes the car , which probably one needs daily , never mind that petrol is still quite cheap but one drives a lot ; then come the internet , the TV , the alarms/armed response etc so very soon the costs mount ; and the exchange rate does not help , either .
Old Jul 27th 2011, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by Ray51
From own experiences and locals' explanations , I think that the cost of groceries is a relatively minor consideration , whether you drink Boschendal , Tassies or lager ; same with eating out , once you know where to do it and have a little spare cash or credit ;
but : try and retire in Western Cape and see how much medical cover will cost for an older person who is joining a local scheme ; then comes the car , which probably one needs daily , never mind that petrol is still quite cheap but one drives a lot ; then come the internet , the TV , the alarms/armed response etc so very soon the costs mount ; and the exchange rate does not help , either .
Found this - interesting. Of course, expats would expect to earn more than the median, but you can use it to select your cities of choice. The Joburg prices seemed about right at a rate of 10:1. Retiring is a good point - unless you have a generous provident fund you will be in trouble.

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living...2=Johannesburg

I couldn't see how much deck chairs were though.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for this ;
very interesting !
much as I am a great fan of South Africa , whoever did the restaurants' part for Brussels is seriously wrong or does not know the place well enough ( as I just had a "lunch of the day" - Menu du Jour : a great soup , a good rare steak with frites and salad and a glass of wine , all in for princely 9 Euros all incl . , in one of the best addresses in uptown Brussels , La Bascule , Chaussee de Waterloo ) .
"Domestic" beer ? ( the world's best , probably ) sells at around 1 Euro 50 for 33 cl , fresh from the tap and tasty like you can't believe ; noone but the mad Brits would even think of ordering a half-litre , it' just not done here ;
imported beer ? - I'm clueleless , as noone buys any , what with Jupiler , Stella , Duvel , Leffe , Hoegarden and the rest , who might want any , except maybe as a status symbol ?
A "combo" meal at Mc D's or Quick can be anything from 3 Euros to 5 buxxx , depending on their monthly promotions and including a soft drink ( last time I looked - and I don't go there all that often but it was this month , a double hamburger , chips and a Coke or similar was 3,99 ) ;
a mineral water ( Cristalline e.g. ) costs 1 Euro for a 2 litre bottle , at supermarkets like Aldi or Lidl or Colruyt , an odd cent more in more friendly , big & well-lit neighbourhoud supermarkets , like Carrefour ( world's 2nd biggest ) and Delhaize ( world's 5th biggest ) .
If I could be bothered , I could probably quote you some more similar misleading discrepancies and misquotings with any number of other items listed ( most certainly , the Coke price is quoted wrongly , my wife is an addict and I shoud know );
there are lies , damn lies and statistics !
But , there's no point or gain in arguing or proving bits and bobs , item by item ;
I love S.Africa anyway , except that Cape Town is now just too madly expensive to retire there , on many fronts , starting with the healthcare cover and the real estate and then all the flying ( which I hate , nowadays , with all the incredible security circus ) .
Still , I thank you for a most interesting contribution , however right or incorrect parts of it may be ( I certainly could get a VW Golf , as mentioned , for very much less here ( 15-20% below the price mentioned ) , tomorrow morning and off the shelf - and "similar" cars , whatever that might mean to whom : for very much less still , for some brands which are less in demand , like Skoda or Citroen or Fiat , Renault and so on ! ) .
Keep up the good work , anyway !

Last edited by Ray51; Jul 27th 2011 at 9:37 pm.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 2:05 am
Forum Regular

pomE is just really nicepomE is just really nicepomE is just really nicepomE is just really nicepomE is just really nicepomE is just really nicepomE is just really nicepomE is just really nicepomE is just really nice

I’d agree with most of what has been said above.

I was out there over two years on an intra company work transfer from the UK.

Lived in Cape Town and loved it! Eating out is relatively cheap for what you get I think. Beer and wine cheap. Cars- new or used not cheap at all! Petrol about 1/3 cost of UK (or it was back in February when I left).

I left due to my contract coming to an end, so took an opportunity out here in Sydney. After about five or six months away from Cape Town, I’m still soooo “homesick”, for the place! Was lucky enough to live gratis in Bloubergstrand & Melkbosstrand (thru work), and have nothing but fond memories. Even married a Saffer )

Never personally had any security issues at all.

Worst part of South Africa is the moronic bureaucratic nonsense that you run-into when trying to get anything done! Banks are useless to say the least. Home Affairs is nearly as useless too.

We may end up back there……or the UK. After Cape Town, Sydney is an anti-climax, believe me…..

Having a baby daughter now, my only concern for going back there really is where the country is actually heading. Schooling, job prospects etc etc….

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.