Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa > South Africa
Reload this Page >

Child travelling with only one parent to SA

Child travelling with only one parent to SA

Old Dec 7th 2015, 11:51 am
Just Joined

arturobandini is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Child travelling with only one parent to SA

Hi all,

Bit late given they fly out on Thursday but my partner and Son are travelling to South Africa this week and I am trying to get to grips with the Parental consent stuff.

I live and work in central London so popped into the Consulate this morning and they gave me a Parental Consent Form, which is fine, I asked what was required and he said fill it out and bring it back with my partner's passport, son's passport and my passport and they will do the necessary there.

Thinking I could short cut the process I got all the details via my partner, filled it out and returned it just now to get it done and dusted. Being helpful I photocopied my passport and brought this along too. I was swiftly rebuffed by the receptionist who was now on the desk who told me I needed all the physical passports and the full birth certificate. Fine i thought I'll just come in again tomorrow morning....then he said my passport photocopy would need to be given a commissioner of oath's stamp. Ok still fine, they could do that when I came again tomorrow right? It says on the form:

Commissioner of Oaths
(May be attested free of charge at any embassy or mission of the Republic of South Africa)

No, the chap says as I am a Brit I will need to get this independently notarised by a Commissioner of Oaths here in the UK. Following a bit of research this will set me back £85+VAT - no thanks this trip has already cost me a fortune.

Has anyone any experience of this? My gut tells me the receptionist is perhaps confusing matters and when I arrive tomorrow with my full fleet of documents, originals and signed forms they will stamp and authorise everything, given I am stood in front of them and they can verify as Government officials that it is indeed me, and I can give the docs to my partner and they won't be sent home at Oliver Tambo on Friday morning.

Can someone with experience please tell me I am not crazy?

Thanks!

- Additionally - our Son has a UK Birth Certificate and Passport only

Last edited by arturobandini; Dec 7th 2015 at 12:02 pm. Reason: extra info just in case
Old Dec 8th 2015, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Child travelling with only one parent to SA

You're not crazy, but dealing with SA 'officialdom' is usually frustrating and you can easily start feeling that you're going insane...

Many (most?) officials only have a vague idea of the law and the regulations. They often resort to making things up as they go along, and relying on a combination of arrogance, surliness and their perception that you are the supplicant and they are 'in charge'.

From a practical point of view, having copies of documents certified by a Commissioner of Oaths is simple and free of charge in SA. Any police officer can do it, and most of the banks offer this service to their customers. The UK seems to be different. I had to get a copy of my mother's SA Identity Book certified following her death, and the local magistrates court told me to approach a solicitor. One of the local ones agreed to do it for £10, so I don't know where the £85 comes from (unless it's an apostille, which shouldn't be necessary). Shop around.
Old Dec 8th 2015, 11:10 am
Just Joined

Thanks Martyn, I resolved this today!

2.5 hours in the consulate on Whitehall later and I have the parental consent affidavit all done.

Should anyone find themselves in this predicament just make sure you fill in the form, have all passports of those travelling and those staying behind and take them to the consulate. They will sign, confirm and oath everything as required. My partner now just needs to present this on the other side and all is good - stressful two days!
Old Dec 9th 2015, 10:47 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arturobandini
Thanks Martyn, I resolved this today!

2.5 hours in the consulate on Whitehall later and I have the parental consent affidavit all done.

Should anyone find themselves in this predicament just make sure you fill in the form, have all passports of those travelling and those staying behind and take them to the consulate. They will sign, confirm and oath everything as required. My partner now just needs to present this on the other side and all is good - stressful two days!
Welcome to South Africa. I read somewhere that this new law has cost the SA economy billions as people decide it isn't worth the hassle. Not sure how Zuma can afford his new plane now? (I'm kidding of course, he can afford it with the kickbacks from the arms deal).

Be aware that immigration will expect to see an unabridged birth certificate and probably passport copies of the parent who isn't traveling too. AFAIK the unabridged shows both parent's details in full - be 100% sure it's sufficient as the immigration officer will take great delight in sending you packing on arrival. If you get one that's awake that is.

As Martyn rightly says, they don't know the law, so having a print out from the official government website with you will help, but in reality they will be arseholes for the sake of being arseholes.

Like I said, welcome to South Africa. Have an awesome time - with the capitulating rand it's a cheap and beautiful place to visit. Enjoy.
Old Dec 14th 2015, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

Well it all went well!

The only negative was the 2hours I had to spend in the consulate and can only sympathise with anyone travelling to SA and not living/working local to Whitehall in London as that really made things easier for me.

I read a lot of scare stories and conflicting info but essentially just fill in the PCA, present all necessary passports and the helpful people in the Consulate will do the necessary.

My partner and son are now enjoying the wonderful weather of Jo'burg and catching up with friends and family at this special time. Gonna miss them but it's the first family Christmas she has had in ten years so she's definitely due it.

Thanks to everyone who offered help.

A