Car import

Old Sep 23rd 2016, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

harrym is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Car import

I am moving to South Africa on a retirement visa and wish to take my car with me, but can't find any information on whether my 4-year visa allows me to do this. Shipper's websites say permanent residency does qualify, but I haven't got that yet. Has anyone done this already?
Thanks
harrym
Old Sep 24th 2016, 3:03 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car import

Originally Posted by harrym
I am moving to South Africa on a retirement visa and wish to take my car with me, but can't find any information on whether my 4-year visa allows me to do this. Shipper's websites say permanent residency does qualify, but I haven't got that yet. Has anyone done this already?
Thanks
harrym
Hi Harry

I don't know - I'd imagine you need an ID number (and therefore PR) to do this. I know you needed to have been able to prove ownership for at least 12 months and a letter from someone (the bank?) confirming you didn't owe any money on it. Some info here https://www.aa.co.za/travel/into-afr...portation.html and here Importing a second-hand or used vehicle | South African Government

I'd probably ask why you'd want to go through the hassle? With the Rand/£ as it is you could probably pick up a half decent car (even at SA's inflated prices) for a decent price and keep the £1000s it will cost you to ship and clear / taxes and duties etc.
Old Sep 24th 2016, 11:45 am
Just Joined

harrym is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Ededed, Thanks for your response. The car in question has a low resale value in the UK and is almost twice the price in RSA, so the sums work for me. i will buy a half decent car in addition to this one. I have seen the links you sent me but they are not much use; the contact on one left the service last December and the other link is to a page error! Searching for the forms doesn't work either and the only reply from ITAC was 'contact SARS' but their site doesn't tell me anything. One shipping website says I can import but may not get the tax breaks of a permanent resident, but when I call them they didn't really know any details. I just wanted to know if anybody had actually done it.
Old Sep 25th 2016, 3:46 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by harrym
Hi Ededed, Thanks for your response. The car in question has a low resale value in the UK and is almost twice the price in RSA, so the sums work for me. i will buy a half decent car in addition to this one. I have seen the links you sent me but they are not much use; the contact on one left the service last December and the other link is to a page error! Searching for the forms doesn't work either and the only reply from ITAC was 'contact SARS' but their site doesn't tell me anything. One shipping website says I can import but may not get the tax breaks of a permanent resident, but when I call them they didn't really know any details. I just wanted to know if anybody had actually done it.
The 2nd link takes you straight to the official SA government website on importing a vehicle. Sorry if this isn't exactly what you wanted - maybe I should import a vehicle myself and then write a "how to blog" just to make this process easier for you?

Why don't you find a few removal companies, ask them to quote you on a door-door car shipping service and see what they say? For example https://www.pickfords.co.za/services/moving-vehicles/. I hope that link works for you. I tested it a dozen times, just to be sure. They're experts and paid to be up on the importing regulations.

That took 20 seconds of googling. I'm sure there are more experts you can find who do this for a living that can give you up to date information.
Old Sep 26th 2016, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ededed
Why don't you find a few removal companies, ask them to quote you on a door-door car shipping service and see what they say? For example https://www.pickfords.co.za/services/moving-vehicles/. I hope that link works for you. I tested it a dozen times, just to be sure. They're experts and paid to be up on the importing regulations.
I shipped a car twice with Pickfords. They provided an almost door-to-door service for the car (pick up in the UK, drop off at their depot in Jo'burg) and took care of all the paperwork, clearing etc. Just what I wanted - zero hassle.

I'm out of date on the tax implications. As I recall, if you were only a temporary resident, you used to be able to bring in a car on some kind of temp basis without being hammered for tax - but if you stayed, or wanted to sell the car on, then you had to deal with it.

As Ed says, in general it's far easier just to buy a car when you're there.

Last edited by Pablo; Sep 26th 2016 at 2:51 pm.