Authorisation to work

Old Jan 21st 2017, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

tracyWind is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Authorisation to work

Hi all,
does anybody know the process of applying for 'authorisation to work' on a temporary spousal visa?
We're in the UK but I'm wondering if we move with me on a temporary visa and I'm offered a job how long it would take for it to come through?
Is it even feasible or in reality might an employer lose interest waiting for it to come through?
FYI - I would rather apply for permanant residency but my understanding is we would need to be married 5yrs - we're married 4 in August(co-habitating 5yrs prior to that). Also it seems it can take up to 2yrs to process permanant resident permit which couldn't be initiated until Aug '18

thanks,
Old Jan 26th 2017, 4:39 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Authorisation to work

Originally Posted by tracyWind
Hi all,
does anybody know the process of applying for 'authorisation to work' on a temporary spousal visa?
We're in the UK but I'm wondering if we move with me on a temporary visa and I'm offered a job how long it would take for it to come through?
Is it even feasible or in reality might an employer lose interest waiting for it to come through?
FYI - I would rather apply for permanant residency but my understanding is we would need to be married 5yrs - we're married 4 in August(co-habitating 5yrs prior to that). Also it seems it can take up to 2yrs to process permanant resident permit which couldn't be initiated until Aug '18

thanks,
I think this may not be easy (see my answer to your other question). Home Affairs are notoriously difficult and obstinate, and change their minds based on their mood. The Randburg office process PR quite quickly (less than a year) but they wont begin the process until you are naturalized - which was (up to last year, anyway) 5 years of being married to a Saffa with 2 years of being resident on SA (on an accompanying spouse visa).

When I moved to SA with my South African wife I got an accompanying spouse visa which allowed me to work for a named employer (it was free, too). If I wanted to change employer I had to apply to home affairs - which was just a form and a stamp and done straight away.

Not sure this answers all your questions - let me know what else you need and good luck!

Ed