Why?

Old Feb 23rd 2013, 11:14 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why?

Originally Posted by booboo24
According to this Hungary is one of the most expensive for household electric.
http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/sta...ice_statistics

And you find very little difference here in fact Hungary is more expensive than other countries like Spain, Austria etc

http://www.energy.eu/

I do not pay household/council Tax as yet but have been told that's its coming, I do pay a land tax of 35 Euros for two hectares.

How's the tasting so far Mike
The above have been covered many times on the Hungarian section. (Regards energy costs, too much to go into here, insulation, gas - bottled, natural, wood, off peak, night time savings etc).
At the end of the day, I have lived in several countries and Hungary is by far the cheapest, has a better climate and the people in general, albeit at times reserved, are far more community/family orientated and cultured.
My family and I can go to a decent restaurant, have a three course meal with a couple of drinks - under £40 for 5 of us. We can go to the opera for next to nothing and a day at the spa and waterpark will cost around £35 - in Ireland, a two hour visit to a forest adventure park was over 100 euro, so for us, the quality of life is better and more affordable. It has it's problems but then where doesn't?
Anyhow, that's my observation from living here so I can't add much more, I'll take my leave and I'm sure you'll eventually work out why. As Sue says, probably a lot to do with the section being new and not many posts listed yet on Google.

Last edited by Rural Hungary; Feb 23rd 2013 at 11:29 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

Indexes Difference
Consumer Prices in Slovenia are 27.97% higher than in Hungary

Consumer Prices Including Rent in Slovenia are 40.70% higher than in Hungary

Rent Prices in Slovenia are 110.67% higher than in Hungary

Restaurant Prices in Slovenia are 32.26% higher than in Hungary

Groceries Prices in Slovenia are 38.92% higher than in Hungary

Local Purchasing Power in Slovenia is 38.32% higher than in Hungary

Source:- www.numbeo.com

As for the winter temperature, there seems to be little or no difference between Hungary and Slovenia, both are showing the same temperature reading for today, and the forecast for the coming week is also equal.

As for electrical items, I have just purchased a (German made) floor polisher here in Hungary for less than half the price advertised on English web sites.

I lived in Spain for 5 years before moving to Hungary so I have experienced the differences first hand, and Hungary is, for me, the far better option.

( The Magyar Garda were disbanded in 2009,)
Old Feb 26th 2013, 10:44 am
Just Joined

AdeleG is an unknown quantity at this point

As far as I know those free language courses that were referred to in an earlier post are only available to people moving here from non-EU countries.

I agree with all the posts as to to why people aren't/can't moving here. If you have a good pension or have won the lottery/got an inheritance etc. and you don't need to work then its a feasible option but otherwise its really, really hard work trying to make a living, even if you speak the language believe me.

I would also add that I think perhaps people have quite unrealistic expectations/dreams about moving here, thinking its a cheap place to live, they can grow vegetables, like the good life etc. I've known quite a few people who've tried but had to leave because they can't find work and realise that growing vegetables doesn't pay the bills.

The cost of living is spiralling out of control and, as already noted, wages are not keeping up. Slovenia now has the fastest rising level of unemployment in the EU, currently 13% - fairly depressing stuff really.

It can be done but you have to be seriously determined to make it work
Old Feb 26th 2013, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

SloJohn is on a distinguished road

I think all EU countries are in a similar situation with regard to the squeeze on living standards. My Auntie lives in Berlin and my Mum in the UK. They both struggle to cover living expenses with their pensions.

If you are an ordinary working person in the EU you are being fleeced by your government to get the banks out of the s***. Got any savings? Your being fleeced unless your so well off it's irrelevant.

Don't get depressed AdeleG
Don't get MAD....get even:-)
Old Feb 27th 2013, 7:59 am
Just Joined

AntsMcMurdosch is an unknown quantity at this point

Ahh... why move to Slovenia? I love it there

Originally Posted by AdeleG
As far as I know those free language courses that were referred to in an earlier post are only available to people moving here from non-EU countries.
In the booklet about getting Slovenian citizenship it does state that it's only free for non-EU persons, but subsequently I've been told it is available for free to all. Another option is the poletna šola/summer school in Ljubljana which although not free, there are grants available.

My Slovenian girlfriend and I have been living in Scotland for 3 years, but we're planning to move to Slovenia - no rush, but within a year would be nice. I've spent a lot of time there and love it, despite the cultural quirks - at first, being a "gentleman", I spent a lot of time holding doors open for people at shopping centres and the like. You hold it for one person to pass, they look at you strangely and rush past you, quickly followed by the stream of people behind you. Why is this guy holding the door? He must be paid to do it!

And don't make the mistake of withdrawing your cash from a Scottish cash machine and trying to exchange it in Slovenia - I appreciate that money issued by 3 different banks claiming to be Sterling but without the Queen's head on it is confusing, but I had to go to 4 different banks without success before a teller in the 5th (Volksbank) saved me from having to beg in the streets so I could afford some burek. But this could have happened anywhere. Even London. I should have known.

The jobs market is diabolical, especially for someone who doesn't govoriš dobro slovenščini. I run a small IT company in the UK, and although I could retain some customers and work remotely, with all the costs involved regarding tax (UK.gov would be very happy for me to pretend to still be resident in the UK and pay tax there, but it simply isn't worth the healthcare risk that would come with, amongst other problems), taking a job there seems like my best shot. But there aren't many. And the pay isn't good. And the tax is a lot. And I'd need solid grounding in the language. Unless I can find a UK company wanting a remote worker (very possible in my trade, but most want someone resident in the UK for taxation purposes). Any takers?

But despite the negatives, it is certainly a place I want to live. It has the mountains, it has the (small) coast, it has beautiful countryside and plentiful woodland. Its central location in mainland Europe makes it very tempting to a guy who likes to go on short motorcycle adventures. I get on well with people there, and when I think about Slovenia's economic state, I see lots of opportunity. I'm not some great entrepreneur, but I do see much more potential there than when I started my company here in 2007 with the coming recession looming over us, and I think the younger generation of Slovenes see it too. But navigating the bureaucracy would be too much just now, so a job for a year or so would be nice.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

booboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud of

Hi AntsMcMurdosch and welcome to the forum. I agree with what you say about living here, its a beautiful country with beautiful people!
I didn't come here because it was a cheap place to live, We ended up living here because we fell in love with the place and yes our income is pittance to what it was in the UK but we both love it here, because of our location in Slovenia it makes the winters here very hard to endure but from March to November I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

M AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really nice

Both Hungary and Slovenia seem to be electing top political roles.
Whats with this young female - going to be another Thatcher or Merkel ??
The Spice Girls could have been right then...!
M
PS May stay up and see if Rays1951 UKIP do well
Old Feb 28th 2013, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

M AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really nice

Meant to ask why? Are we are seeing the ladies taking over - that women in Argentina could press the missile button so its not just about being more reasonable.
M
Old Mar 1st 2013, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

mbkarl is on a distinguished road

Hopefully she can do better than the last lot. Stupid tax increases(0.10c per litre on petrol, 20% on yearly car registration, the idiotic sugar tax.

Someone just needs to create conditions that allow people to create their own wealth, takeaway the boundary's of self employment and don't be afraid of allowing foreign businesses to operate in Slovenia....
Old Mar 1st 2013, 11:01 am
Just Joined

Don't be holding your breath expecting things to improve - as far as I understand from talking to people and hearing opinions she's just a puppet for Jankovic and no-one expects much. Let's face it, they are all as bad as each other!
Old Mar 1st 2013, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

booboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud of

Hi Adele, why don't you link your blog to your signature here, I haven't finished reading it but I have enjoyed what I have read
Old Mar 1st 2013, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

fizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to all

Hi Adele, why don't you link your blog to your signature here, I haven't finished reading it but I have enjoyed what I have read
Adele - it's great! I googled it and have been reading it at my desk.

I don't know if you do any paid writing but if you are looking for some options for making a bit of extra money from writing (not enough to live on but a useful injection each month) message me and I'll send you some links/info.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

mbkarl is on a distinguished road

Jankovic, Mr VAT increase, everyone seems to love him or hate him.

I'm firmly in the hate camp.

I was impressed how well he managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory at the election. Talking down to the other MPs like they were his employees got him nowhere.

Last edited by mbkarl; Mar 1st 2013 at 4:39 pm.
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

AntsMcMurdosch is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi AntsMcMurdosch and welcome to the forum. I agree with what you say about living here, its a beautiful country with beautiful people!
I didn't come here because it was a cheap place to live, We ended up living here because we fell in love with the place and yes our income is pittance to what it was in the UK but we both love it here, because of our location in Slovenia it makes the winters here very hard to endure but from March to November I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.
Thanks for the welcome! This winter does look like it has been particularly tough. We were over for a few weeks at Christmas and it was so mild compared to other years. I hope you all eventually rescue your cars from underneath the snow!

I'm a bit bamboozled by Slovenian politics. Janša/SDS have been in government for the majority of years since 2004, and seem to follow the normal centre-right tactics of cutting everything, but yet they don't do anything to reform the tax system or remove bureaucracy for small businesses, which surely is a staple of centre-right policies (although the accountant was telling me there is now "part-time self-employment", which is good, but it has a really low threshold and I can't see it encouraging anyone to make an actual successful business).

So it seems Janša is the worst of both worlds - strangle public spending and raise taxation, making growth impossible. I know all about the over-borrowing from joining the Euro, but still...

I got a copy of Mladina to get an informed, left-wing critique of Janša's government, but they use too many big words. Back to watching Medved Bojan for me
Old Mar 6th 2013, 10:07 am
Just Joined

Hi Booboo

Glad you like it but I'm interested where did you find out about it - doesn't news travel fast in Slo!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.