Why?

Old Feb 19th 2013, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

Mike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant future
Default Why?

Comparing the Slovenia section of the forum to the Hungarian I can not help wondering WHY there does not appear to be any people with an intrest in moving to Slovenia these days, whereas there is a steady stream of folks looking for information or coming to visit with buying property in mind on the Hungaian section!Is it simply the fact that property in Hungary can still be bought at a more reasonable price?We have similar climates,and Slovene though not a easy language has to be easier than Hungarian,and of course Slovenia is very beautiful Is it all down to Rural Hungary who is such an excellent source of information I would be intrested to hear what people who are out there looking have to say as !All good wishes from a still very snowy N.E Slovenia,albeit with an amazing blue sky today! Mike.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

mbkarl is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Why?

Unless you are retiring, What are the benefits of moving to Slovenia now though?

Lack of jobs
Taxed to the point of riot
Amongst the highest cost of living in the EU
Developing major Corruption problem
Old Feb 19th 2013, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

I love Slovenia. Had we have known about Slovenia before we moved to Hungary we would have probably chose to live there. However, downsides are the euro and it is quite pricey. Ljubljana is a great city though, love it.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

You nailed it there Polgardi, the Euro has really screwed things up in Slovenia. Wages were never spectacularly high, but the cost of living was relatively low.

Since the introduction of the euro living costs have spiralled and wages have failed to keep up.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 2:26 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, two factors - well three counting me Cost of property and cost of living. A fully habitable house in a village from £15,000, 2 bed renovated house in a good village from £30,000. Three course menu from less than £3, decent bottle of wine £1.50. It's mainly retirees who are relocating here as they can have a far higher standard of living than in many other European countries. We like the area we are in as it's handy for both Slovenia and Croatia - especially Zagreb where we can buy seafood
Old Feb 19th 2013, 2:58 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Also one reason may be that this Slovenia forum on BE is still very new, so not many people may know about it yet, while the Hungary forum is more established.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

fizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to all

We're coming! Probably crazy but got to give it a try. I wanted to live closer to Hungary though to maximise teaching opportunities but Himself wanted to stay in Maribor.

We want to be in Slo and are prepared to work hard. We live quite modestly anyway and don't expect to become rich. We are still relatively young and enthusiastic. I would hate to think we stayed in the UK and always wished we'd given it a shot.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

SloJohn is on a distinguished road

Rose-tinted glasses.

Where ever you live you will always see some where else that appears to be a better place to be. You can go to any country and find the good points. Just look at all those Brits who flocked to Spain to live the Holiday dream and have done their dough.

The problem with the Euro in my view is the top heavy political machine which costs too much to run. If Slovenia had gone it alone it could have easily been the new Switzerland. Unfortunately the “clever” people saw the Euro gravy train and jumped on it to secure good jobs selling the dream to the population. Slovenians are said to be well educated and I have met many hard working good people. However, they are blinkered in political terms and they need to understand that following the political clap trap will lead no where.

Get rid of the Politicians.
Get rid of the big companies.(Global bad boys)
Operate Local.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 6:32 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

If the way Slovenians drive when they are in Hungary is anything to go by then I really don't want to be in a whole country full of them.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

fizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to all

getting in a car with a Slovenian is like a white knuckle ride. We get a long without a car pretty well there but I'm still deliberating about learning to drive before we move there permanently - I am terrified of driving in Slovenia.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

I contemplated having an hour with a driving instructor here just to see if it's how they are taught to drive

approaching roundabout, accelerate quickly, hope no one is coming round or they will stop for you

driving in the city centre if the car in front is doing less than 10 kmph over the speed limit, sit 2 inches from his back bumper

at any given junction don't stop to think do i have right of way? assume you do
Old Feb 20th 2013, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

billycornelly is just really nicebillycornelly is just really nicebillycornelly is just really nicebillycornelly is just really nicebillycornelly is just really nicebillycornelly is just really nicebillycornelly is just really nicebillycornelly is just really nice

Totally agree about the slovene drivers, I passed an upside down smashed up car this morning, very unlikely if the occupant(s) survived, most likely speeding late at night with ice prevailant, one of our friends 22 year old daughter wrote her car off by leaving the road last week she was ok and insisted she wasn't speeding but a police friend of the family advised her not to report it or she would receive points and a fine, my wife is constantly on to me to slow down but I almost certainly have some impatient slovene up close behind, very nice people but get them behind the wheel and they change into nutters
Old Feb 20th 2013, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

A favourite memory of mine, is the day i was tail-gated by a 'Petrol' Tanker as I was obeying the 70 limit.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 6:07 am
Forum Regular

Mike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant future

Perhaps we could get this thread back on topic?Thanks,Mike.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

billycornelly is just really nicebillycornelly is just really nicebillycornelly is just really nicebillycornelly is just really nicebillycornelly is just really nicebillycornelly is just really nicebillycornelly is just really nicebillycornelly is just really nice

Its still on topic Mike, duztee referred to the crazy slovene drivers as a reason for people unwilling to move to slovenia, I backed it up but maybe Karl was talking about an incident in the uk.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.