Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

TRAVEL AND GETTING TO SLO

TRAVEL AND GETTING TO SLO

Old Nov 8th 2013, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

M AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really nice
Default TRAVEL AND GETTING TO SLO

Hi 'all'..... Guess this can include info re RyanA and other airlines, road, rail and sea. This used to be a popular thread with many expressing often cheap ways to get there and driving routes etc. - some lifts were even offered.

Well my chosen route seems to have been canned and nobody has posted any info and surprisingly not even Ryanair ! RA from Stanstead to Klagenfurt gone!! Has Michael O'Hell fallen out with the Austrians again ? I seem to recall some years back they increase the security costs by 3 euros and he said 'NO' or something like that. Moved to Graz and did not return for a while having laughed at Styrian collapse in a few short months.
What's the story guys as this is pants for me. The thought of having to go to Luton fills me with dread. I think the only saving grace would be being in Luton really depressed and 2 hours later landing in Ljubljana and cheerful!
Talking of being cheerful or depressed I read Mike and Janet's post for the first time re Leaving Slovenia and it brought a tear to my eyes. I did not know them other than by posting so cannot understand why..... Perhaps it's an age thing, I'm getting sensitive in older age .
Perhaps that old knight Harry can advise.
Regards , have a good weekend, M
Old Nov 8th 2013, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

M AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really nice
Default Re: TRAVEL AND GETTING TO SLO

Oh hell I am getting senile.... Forgot how all this worked and just spotted
Boo's Planes, Trains and Automobiles !
Admin man please remove and put in the right place . Sooo sorry .
M
Old Nov 9th 2013, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

Sir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really nice

Not sure what Michael O'Leary himself has dropped recently- but it's winter, Michael. He puts about 1/3 of his planes into hangars in winter, don't you know?

Having said that, Slovenia is not getting out of it's mess with its banks - so nobody (or very few) are going to have wads of dosho to spend coming to London - especially in winter.

beautiful gleetings, HlFL
Old Nov 9th 2013, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

Harry old boy,,,,, the plane to Klagenfurt has been going throughout the full year since it began, it is usually good for skiing in Austria and Italy too. Very convenient for Slo as well, especially,, KG. Bled etc.
You should try strapping wood to your feet rather than spurs.
Giddy up dobbin, regards Michael
Old Nov 9th 2013, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

SloJohn is on a distinguished road

I've taken to SLOw travel! I pack up the old van with the camping gear and head off. Slower and more expensive than flying but meet loads of interesting people on route. No worries on excess baggage or cans of beer in my bags!! Last time I went I took so long to get to Slovenia I had to set off back to the Uk as soon as I got there! I stopped in Austria by the Wolfgansee and enjoyed the camping/swimming/chillaxing soooooo much that i thought what the hell let's just chill man. Mind you those motorway tolls suck and you have to check for stowaway Romanians as you near Calais.

Anyway I would not go with Ryan A(are your pilots awake)ir unless I was desperate. I can go from BHX to MUC with Luft han ser for less than a ton and grab a rental for a pleasant drive through Austria.

If anyone wants a road trip drop me line.

John.
Old Feb 9th 2014, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

Slojo....like your style, maybe we should road trip sometime . No time to let the weeds grow under our feet tho. I tend to miss the French motorways because of the fuzz and the tolls dude....go further north and can visit Neuschwanstein, beats the Disney copy just, on into Salzburg and down to the promised land via Zell am See and the road train.
KLAGENFURT - apart from old Harry nobody seems to have given a reason for RAir to have pulled out. He did it once before but that was well reported as a fall out over an extra 3 euros security charge per passenger and later they begged him to come back from the move to Graz ! That said this was usually a good way in to SLO and seemed busy both ways with lots of Austrian school kids as well.
I really hope Graz and Klagenfurt return as that is three ways in gone, along with Maribor going previously.
Anyone got real info on these routes. With whizzy and squezzzy going on the same days (think) during winter the cheap options seem to be reduced. Trieste also seems to be getting a tad more costly and they don't seem to understand winter tyres!
Anyway enough waffle, been a great weekend with the pompous welsh goin down badly after their last poor match, England rampant and just love the diddly diddlies for that wonderful effort. But less of it when we see you guys.
Cheers, M
Old Feb 17th 2014, 4:04 pm
kjn
Just Joined

kjn is an unknown quantity at this point

We come over at least once every 6 weeks and Wizz Luton to Lju nearly always the cheapest and certainly very reliable.
Ken
Old Feb 17th 2014, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

Guess you belong to the discount club which seems to be reasonable value.
I just don't like Luton but did use Wizz when they first went to LJUBLJANA .
I seem to remember that they then stopped for a while or am I wrong on this ?

Understand from someone in high authority that Graz and Klagenfurt are not due to return this summer but cannot understand why ??
Have the airports fallen out again with RAir or is it just economics.
Hope my contact is wrong but it came out of RAir but in a less than transparent statement.
Glad someone on this site is still going to SLO as comment and experiences seem few and far between since Mikes sad demise.
Friends just returned from KG at the weekend but not had time to discuss the trip with them yet. Snow was obviously good but the weather has not been to sunny for many weeks in the mountains . Nassfeld and Tarvissio also have had few great days this season by all accounts.
Enough with the padding, best to you, M
Old Mar 4th 2014, 12:38 pm
kjn
Just Joined

Hi
Yes we are in Wizz discount club. 29 Eu for year but we get that back on one return flight each. 3 flights per week and unless school holiday time we generally pay approx £40 return each. Small cabin bags free which is fine for us as we have plenty clothes out there but large cabin bags £9 each way per person.
Regards
Ken
Old Mar 4th 2014, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

billycornelly is just really nicebillycornelly is just really nicebillycornelly is just really nicebillycornelly is just really nicebillycornelly is just really nicebillycornelly is just really nicebillycornelly is just really nicebillycornelly is just really nice

we flew with easyjet to England last week, first time for 3 years but we had to pay four adult fares even though we have a 7 and 8 year old, by the time we paid for parking , air fares, car hire in England and fuel to and from Yorkshire there was little differerence from when we drove last nov/dec, ok driving is longer and can be tiring but we brought int he car heaps of virstanj wine for friends and family, in fact we did a good swap for boxes of weetabix with a friend, we also stopped off for a couple of nights in Nurenburg for the xmas market.
Billy, p.s. will be flying in november for the England v slo footy match
Old Apr 6th 2014, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

24digital24 is an unknown quantity at this point

From reading this forum,I have booked with Wizz Air for a quick visit in June. The price was very reasonable and hoping to use them in the future if it goes well.
I would like any tips from any seasoned travelers as to where you would normally leave your car and what hire company you would recommend.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

Hi 24D24, flew Wizzy last weekend to SLO. Long stay car park seems reasonable and I recommend Atet Car Rental at Brnik. Ask or mail Gregor or Tine, ask for the full "Our Slovenia" discount - they will understand even though Ourslo is no longer. There are plenty of other companies but these guys are friendly and competitive . Perhaps a little light on cars at the airport.

Had a fantastic trip as the weather was just amazing....like a June weekend.
Was going to ski but it was the last day of skiing in KG and the slopes closed at 1pm so decided to have a drive on the byways. Took the road fro KG to Bled via the 'secret valley', on to Pokljuca and down into Bohinj. Rupa was stacked as were most restaurants with everyone eating outside. Had to eat at Ema , opposite Rupa which was OK, usual 18" pizza !
Luckily managed to catch the car train with one minute to spare. For those who have not used it, it is like Disney ride. Glad I put the handbrake on as we were on the end wagon rattling along without any barrier to stop us falling off........
On to Bovec and into Italy and back for supper. Magical day with the river it's famous colour.
Hope you enjoy your trip and look forward to hearing about it.
Cheers, M
Old Apr 8th 2014, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

24D I forgot to ask if you know R and J who probably live '100 yards' from you in
Mojstrana? Best and most knowledgable British walkers in Slovenia perhaps.
Also as there are a couple of good places to eat near you why not review them ?
As the secret valley - we call it that as it is nearly deserted - starts in your village but is a fascinating drive or cycle with the war burnt out houses, 'pub', wild mushroom and salad leaves areas and the swimming lake. What's your view on it - Like going back 50 years......?
Best regards, Michael
Old Apr 8th 2014, 10:53 am
kjn
Just Joined

Hi. Agree Luton official long term car park is reasonable value and we always use it. For car rental try www.economycarrentals.co.uk We always use them and they seem to get you a better price, usually with Avant or Atet, than the individual company will offer.Never had a problem with this agency and have used them countless times.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 2:25 pm
Just Joined

24digital24 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for all your good information. I have now booked with the long term car park but had already arranged car hire through the Wizz air this time.

Normaly I drive over as I find this is more convenient as you can take what you like in both directions, the down side is a 24 hour drive door to door.

M & G, I agree their books are well worth reading and taking with you when going for a hike in the Alps. Unfortunately I have never seen them, infact I have not spoken to many English people whilst in Slovenia over the last 7 years but I have made good friends with a lot of Slovenian people.
I think part of my problem is being 11 Km up in the mountains from Mojstrana and far from any civilisation.
Thanks
Clive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.