Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

What Prompted Your Move to Slovenia?

What Prompted Your Move to Slovenia?

Old Jun 22nd 2013, 11:22 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default What Prompted Your Move to Slovenia?

I'm always interested to read how people choose and moved to the different countries that our members live in.

For example, we ended up in the US after my husband was approached about a job out of the blue. We came for a three year adventure, and here we still are over 15 years later. I would love to read what prompted your move to Slovenia.

Sue
Old Jun 30th 2013, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

mbkarl is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What Prompted Your Move to Slovenia?

The wife
Old Jun 30th 2013, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

In all serious, it was more of a case of why not. Having a Slovenian partner after living in England together for 5 years it was time to try something new.
Old Jun 30th 2013, 12:54 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mbkarl
In all serious, it was more of a case of why not. Having a Slovenian partner after living in England together for 5 years it was time to try something new.
Well, that's probably the best reason of all

How long have you lived there now, and what would you say is the best thing and the worst thing about it?
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

Two years now.

Postives : Landscape, the climate, Slovenian people.

Negatives : Cost of living, the Governments almost xenophobic attitude to foreigners
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 6:13 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Originally Posted by mbkarl
Two years now.

Postives : Landscape, the climate, Slovenian people.

Negatives : Cost of living, the Governments almost xenophobic attitude to foreigners
Well it sounds like you are taking the best bits and making the most of it, which is the same as me in the USA. I miss a lot of things about the UK but know if we moved back to the UK I would miss a lot of things about the US too.

Once an expat, always an expat
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

billycornelly is just really nicebillycornelly is just really nicebillycornelly is just really nicebillycornelly is just really nicebillycornelly is just really nicebillycornelly is just really nicebillycornelly is just really nicebillycornelly is just really nice

We got early retirement from our jobs and already had the house in slo so went for it, we would have struggled in England on our combined pensions anyway and are quite a few years off getting the state pension,we got legal guardian status of our 2 young grandaughters 4 years before we left and have just completed a year living here, they speak the language very good while we are finding it difficult, as karl says things are not good here but we love it and so do the girls.
Billy
Old Jul 6th 2013, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

booboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud of

Beautiful people, beautiful Country and we get all four seasons
There is a magic here that is hard to explain, it really has to be experienced. We are here nearly six years and we love as much as we did when we first came on holiday over six years ago. because of where we live we get snowed in a lot and that is a pain..... But apart from that I wouldn't want to be anywhere else
Old Jul 6th 2013, 10:22 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Originally Posted by booboo24
Beautiful people, beautiful Country and we get all four seasons
There is a magic here that is hard to explain, it really has to be experienced. We are here nearly six years and we love as much as we did when we first came on holiday over six years ago. because of where we live we get snowed in a lot and that is a pain..... But apart from that I wouldn't want to be anywhere else
That's terrific.

Is there good skiing there?