Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Watery Western Eatery

Watery Western Eatery

Old Nov 19th 2013, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

Sir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really nice
Default Watery Western Eatery

Zdravo, fellow Slo-buffs,

All this gloom and doom about the property tax - I thought i'd post a brighter thread

I took the old dobbins towards Nova Gorica last week, and boy, it was enough to blow your vizor shut - winds of up to 150 kmph.

Anyway, on the return, needed hay for the steed, etc, and pulled in to see if what has to be one of west Slovenia's finest eateries was in business in November - in the rural idyl of the village of Vipava.

Sure enough, behind what is summer was a gentle stream, 1 foot deep with a 5 pound trout lazily treading water (the reka was a roaring torrent last week) - the lights were on at Gostilna Podfarovz.

It's one of those places where you don't ask for a menu - and certainly don't ask the price - Gregor the chef just tells you what he has available and you order.

Now believe me, this old knight is normally mightily mistrustful of overcharging knaves - but this is a place where whatever Gregor suggests, you can go with it. (I might ask the price of wine, I guess, but I couldn't drink in the saddle, as it were, so that wasn't any bother.)

I had pumpkin soup, salad, hefty trout and potatoes, and a nutty sweet with kaki cream. Oh, and Gregor presented a horse durve of venison pate on biscuit-bread.

The lot came to €20 - I gave him €25 - it seemed positively churlish to tip less.

With the price of hay being what it is, definitely not in my normal price range - but you just feel good at the Podfarovz.

I can't give you the address - or rather, I could, but it wouldn't do you any good.

You have to turn off the motorway for Vipava - don't take the first turn right to the winery, go down the straight avenue with the trees on either side - 200m then turn right into the old village.

Park in the middle of the square and ask. You have to go behind the houses down a lane that squeezes in between the east side of the square and the mountain at the back.

In summer you can sit on a terrace and watch the lazy trout: would have been a bit nippy doing that last week though.

And a fortnight back your feet would have been under 10 inches of flood water - so Gregor said.

Just a disclaimer – I have no material or commercial link whatsoever with said eatery – more's the pity.

If you should visit as a result of this - and agree or otherwise with my recommendation - would be nice to know.

Your obedient krnight, Sir Harry

ps – here's the website – not that it really tells you much

http://www.podfarovz.si/home/english
Old Nov 20th 2013, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

mbkarl is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Watery Western Eatery

Sounds tremendous, I shall sample if we're ever in that neck of the woods