Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Possible move to Czech Republic

Possible move to Czech Republic

Old Feb 12th 2016, 12:25 am
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Possible move to Czech Republic

So my boss today mentioned a possible move to the Czech Republic.

I'd be making about 120k cz a month.

So some questions. I'm English so can go and work no prob kids are dual American/English with British passports so again no issues. Pretty sure my American wife can come no prob and get a resident permit to work. Is that all correct.

Secondly what areas are nice. Which areas to avoid. What are schools like and do they provide Czech language support in schools or is private the way to go.

What's the best way to rent/buy/lease cars?

Any pitfalls what do I. We'd to know.

If we went we would just be bringing computers/toys/clothes that sort of thing. Prob selling everything else in the states. It would be a perm move.

So really looking for advice.

Lastly is it feasible for my family to live in the uk while I work in Prague and commute back weekly or even daily?

Thanks. Forgive the rambling I guess I'm unsure exactly what questions to answer.
Old Feb 13th 2016, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

Cynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible move to Czech Republic

Only thing I can think of is bringing electrical goods; used to be a problem with different power supply (110/240); not sure if this is still the case; be worthwhile checking which of your electrical goods will work over there.
Old Feb 21st 2016, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

Cihadlo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I've lived and worked in the Czech Republic for 6 years. I don't live in Prague and so I can'r really answer your specific questions but have you found the webside expats.cz? It is very Prague-centric but that is probably exactly what you want - lots of information about relocating to and lving and working in Prague.

Your post doesn't mention whether you have visited Prague yet or whether you expect just to turn up and live here. If you're being employed here, I guess you'll have people to help you through settling in here who are able to speak Czech?

Before living in CR full time, I worked in the UK for 4 weeks out of 6 and in CR the other 2 weeks - the same job. Weekly commuting would certainly be possible but it rather depends where your work in the UK is. Also, the times of the flights available would be pretty crucial to the viability of it and always subject to change - I don't think it is viable long-term.

Chris
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 11:50 pm
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

lol

I dont think i was that clear.

I live in Los Angeles, but am British.

My company is in Los Angeles also, but we or I should say I, might be moving to prague to set up shop there.

I do know a couple of people but not that well. It'll basically be me and my family (who are all American). If we can do it, i'll have my family live in the UK via the surindher singh route after a yr or so hence the question with travel back and forth to the UK.

What do you think I would expect to pay in koruna for rent each month say a 2/3 bedroom apartment or house?

I've never visited and will prob do so before the move IF it happens, its all so up in the air at this point. But to be honest, i'd rather live in a European city than Los Angeles any day.

I also wouldn't be bringing anything electrical except my PC and that can switch to 240v.

Do Czech people speak English at all, i guess i'll be learning Czech soon enough.
Old Feb 24th 2016, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

Cihadlo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

http://britishexpats.com/forum/europ...public-850846/

You might find this previous post useful, particularly in relation to the need to either speak Czech or have good access to Czech speakers who can help you in your relocation.

Czech is a very difficult language for native Neglish speakers to learn and, unless you are particularly gifted, your progress is likely to be slow.

There is also a link there to an agent with a large selection of apartments.

You should be aware that the EU is considering changes to changes that would close the "surindher singh route"; in this, they are being supported by the British Government.

Chris