Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Lots of snow and no TV

Lots of snow and no TV

Old Jan 20th 2013, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

booboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud of
Default Lots of snow and no TV

Well its been snowing hard here in Haloze for some time and its taken out our TV signal, Good job I just got a new probook and slightly better connection
Old Jan 21st 2013, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

fizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to all
Default Re: Lots of snow and no TV

All we get on TV here in the UK is snow coverage. Imagine if Brits had to deal with snow levels in Slovenia. They'd never get out of bed!
Old Jan 21st 2013, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

booboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud of

Mmmm that must be why I spend so much time there

Posted two posts on our slov now and nothing
Old Jan 21st 2013, 12:20 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

No Radio ? ?

A good shortwave set and the world is your oyster
Perhaps a bit old hat for the youngsters around us

Old Jan 21st 2013, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

fizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to all

Do you mean something like a 'world band' radio, Domino?

We have one of those in Slovenia and to be honest we've never been able to pick much up on it unless using the FM option.

My mother bought it for us a few years ago when we were travelling round the Black Sea for three months. Apart from ten minutes one night in Georgia we couldn't pick up the BBC World Service at all, though we occasionally picked up the Voice of America in Russia
Old Jan 21st 2013, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

mbkarl is on a distinguished road

Most radio stations broadcast online anyway

http://www.listenlive.eu/index.html

(a few UK ones won't work without a UK ip address)
Old Jan 21st 2013, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

Should i be ashamed to say i'm currently tuned in to Radio 1 80s Ljubljana
Old Jan 21st 2013, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

Radio SI stopped working for me using that listenlive.eu site, Karl. I just go to the RTV Slo website now and listen from there. Can also watch a few shows online through that site too so good for trying to pick up more Slovene language.

(BTW - can only listen online if you have an internet connection - we never had one for the flat hence we used to try to get the football results on a Saturday - all but once unsuccessfully - we used to try all kinds of weird set ups to pick up the world service, including resting the aerial on a tin of tomatoes)
Old Jan 21st 2013, 1:40 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fizzytom
Do you mean something like a 'world band' radio, Domino?

We have one of those in Slovenia and to be honest we've never been able to pick much up on it unless using the FM option.

My mother bought it for us a few years ago when we were travelling round the Black Sea for three months. Apart from ten minutes one night in Georgia we couldn't pick up the BBC World Service at all, though we occasionally picked up the Voice of America in Russia
theoretically - yes!
but if it is part of a multi-band LW/MW/FM/SHORTWAVE little set then it probably doesn't have the discrimination nor the aerial for much which is why FM is so good.
but in the evenings the sun goes down and the radio horizon rises and you can get some good long distance stuff on MW and LW.
Used to be a time when BBC World Service on MW 648 was receivable across most of Europe unless there were some big mountains in the way.
Most countries (except the UK) still put out multi frequency transmissions.

I have been listening to these things for more than 50 years, so remember valves and crystals, but a reasonable short wave set really opens things up beyond the normal European boundaries, although for a few days of no telly it can prove to get you out of the house with the mind if not the body.
Most airlines still use HF (short wave) for transatlantic conversations with aircraft - but again you need reasonable frequency discrimination.

you will probably need to have a better aerial, but thats another story.

by the way, I don't think VOA actually transmit from Russia - just to Russia

rgds
Old Jan 21st 2013, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fizzytom
Radio SI stopped working for me using that listenlive.eu site, Karl. I just go to the RTV Slo website now and listen from there. Can also watch a few shows online through that site too so good for trying to pick up more Slovene language.

(BTW - can only listen online if you have an internet connection - we never had one for the flat hence we used to try to get the football results on a Saturday - all but once unsuccessfully - we used to try all kinds of weird set ups to pick up the world service, including resting the aerial on a tin of tomatoes)
this is the current link try in VLC or Winamp

http://mp3.rtvslo.si:80/rsi.m3u

the website version seems to buffering alot for me, which is odd i'm on a 20mb connection at home
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

Well god bless Chris he is now out fitting in the snow.. the new cable to our satellite dish that arrived this morning in the post!
The things that man will do for a quite life
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

Well done Chris! And good on the postie for getting the cable to you!
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

Our TV now works
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

who provides your tv out there in the sticks booboo? siol?
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

No, its Total TV, 80 Euros for the dish and 16 Euros a month after that, its not bad value. What annoys me is.. they are forever rearranging the channels, deleting some and adding new ones!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.