Reload this Page >

DBS check help

DBS check help

Old Feb 21st 2017, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

jvengey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default DBS check help

Hello,

I have resided in Moldova for two years and prior to moving here, I obtained a DBS disclosure, as it was part of the visa process. All fine.

I was recently married to a Moldovan national and rather than simply renewing for another work permit (which requires no new documents), I decided it would be better to switch to a family visa (issued for longer).

This is where the saga starts. Because this is a new application in their minds, I need a fresh DBS disclosure. Aside for the fact I could renew my work one without and besides the fact I lived here two years, so can't possibly have any record in the UK in that time, they are fairly insistent on rules being rules. I guess they never thought about someone switching between the visas before.

Okay, no problem, I thought I would eat the cost of getting a new DBS check. Get it them certified/legalized in the UK, to then get it translated and legalized in Moldova again. However, upon looking at the requirements for a DBS check, it requires you to provide a current UK address. Note, not a postal address they can send to, but to state you are residing in the UK presently, which I'm not.

I've asked my local embassy for help, but they can't help with it. They just link me to the DBS section of the gov website. Which was, helpful, of course, even after I explained the issue.

What's the solution? I really don't want to lie on a form to the UK authorities, as i can't imagine how that can be a good thing in any scenario. Also, taking the lying to UK authorities out of the picture, the form I would get from the UK would have an address on that isn't mine, so if a jobsworth here were to look at it, nothing would be really adding up.

I'm hoping someone else has come across this issue before. I'm just hoping that it isn't just the Moldovan authorities who have the requirement and there is a procedure in place for it.

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 5:02 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DBS check help

Originally Posted by jvengey
Hello,

I have resided in Moldova for two years and prior to moving here, I obtained a DBS disclosure, as it was part of the visa process. All fine.

I was recently married to a Moldovan national and rather than simply renewing for another work permit (which requires no new documents), I decided it would be better to switch to a family visa (issued for longer).

This is where the saga starts. Because this is a new application in their minds, I need a fresh DBS disclosure. Aside for the fact I could renew my work one without and besides the fact I lived here two years, so can't possibly have any record in the UK in that time, they are fairly insistent on rules being rules. I guess they never thought about someone switching between the visas before.

Okay, no problem, I thought I would eat the cost of getting a new DBS check. Get it them certified/legalized in the UK, to then get it translated and legalized in Moldova again. However, upon looking at the requirements for a DBS check, it requires you to provide a current UK address. Note, not a postal address they can send to, but to state you are residing in the UK presently, which I'm not.

I've asked my local embassy for help, but they can't help with it. They just link me to the DBS section of the gov website. Which was, helpful, of course, even after I explained the issue.

What's the solution? I really don't want to lie on a form to the UK authorities, as i can't imagine how that can be a good thing in any scenario. Also, taking the lying to UK authorities out of the picture, the form I would get from the UK would have an address on that isn't mine, so if a jobsworth here were to look at it, nothing would be really adding up.

I'm hoping someone else has come across this issue before. I'm just hoping that it isn't just the Moldovan authorities who have the requirement and there is a procedure in place for it.

Thanks in advance.
Will a Subject Access check not suffice? They are often used for visa/migration purposes and you do not need a UK address.

https://www.acro.police.uk/subject_access.aspx
Old Feb 21st 2017, 6:36 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

DBS checks are not designed to be used outside the UK. An ACRO Police Certificate or SAR would be the way to go.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 9:10 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
DBS checks are not designed to be used outside the UK. An ACRO Police Certificate or SAR would be the way to go.
That's what I was thinking. DBS needs a UK address as they are designed fo UK jobs, they aren't aimed at visas and immigration at all, are they.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 9:55 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
That's what I was thinking. DBS needs a UK address as they are designed fo UK jobs, they aren't aimed at visas and immigration at all, are they.
Indeed. They don't always mention stepped down offences which is why most overseas governments don't accept them.
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 7:13 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the help. This does indeed appear to be the solution. A pity about the 40 days.

I'll renew the work one and switch over in September (as I need to leave the country and re enter to switch).

Thanks again. A pity my embassy couldn't point me in that direction!
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by jvengey
Thanks for the help. This does indeed appear to be the solution. A pity about the 40 days.

I'll renew the work one and switch over in September (as I need to leave the country and re enter to switch).

Thanks again. A pity my embassy couldn't point me in that direction!
This is much quicker than a SAR.

https://www.acro.police.uk/police_certificates.aspx
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 7:40 am
Just Joined

Yeah i saw that as well, but I don't fancy rounding up all those documents and find a willing sponsor in the UK as well. I can be patient in return for being a little lazy.