Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Will I fail the required medical for an spass if I had syphilis in the past ?

Will I fail the required medical for an spass if I had syphilis in the past ?

Old Sep 29th 2017, 8:52 am
Just Joined

ashrey73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Will I fail the required medical for an spass if I had syphilis in the past ?

Hi

I've been offered a new job in Singapore!
I'm currently residing in the UK.

I've been infected with syphilis, which I had treated straight away.
But my concern is that I will be required to undertake a medical once I arrive in Singapore and the blood tests will show as a positive result?

Will I loose my right to work there and have my ep cancelled?

Are all required to undertake medical which include these blood tests?
Is there anyway I can explain the situation to the mom?

I would very much appreciate any help or advice anyone can give.

Thank you.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 9:57 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will I fail the required medical for an spass if I had syphilis in the past ?

Hi, welcome to BE.

This is a bit odd, what do you mean 'explain the situation to the mom'? And please let everybody know where you are living now (as it's not the UK, which is what your posts says) in case it has a bearing.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 10:06 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will I fail the required medical for an spass if I had syphilis in the past ?

MOM = Ministry of Manpower.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 10:31 am
Just Joined

Currently i live in Malaysia. MOM stand for minister of manpower.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 11:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute

The IgG treponemal specific antibody test with a negative nontreponemal test (RPR, TRUST) will identify both persons with previous treatment and persons with untreated or incompletely treated syphilis. It is based upon your antibody count...not active treponemal bacteria.

What you need to do is show that you have had treatment, so may need to provide medical records. They may also require a nontreponemal antibody test to differentiate between active and past infection.
Old Oct 9th 2017, 8:50 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by RedApe
The IgG treponemal specific antibody test with a negative nontreponemal test (RPR, TRUST) will identify both persons with previous treatment and persons with untreated or incompletely treated syphilis. It is based upon your antibody count...not active treponemal bacteria.

What you need to do is show that you have had treatment, so may need to provide medical records. They may also require a nontreponemal antibody test to differentiate between active and past infection.
Hi RedApe..
do i need to tell my new employee on this matter?
plan to tell them when i go to singapore for offer letter signature and medical check up.
Old Oct 9th 2017, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ashrey73
Hi RedApe..
do i need to tell my new employee on this matter?
plan to tell them when i go to singapore for offer letter signature and medical check up.
Personally I'd tell them before you go.

It looks like you're forcing them to accept you whatever and that wouldn't go down well with me if I was hiring you.
Old Oct 9th 2017, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmm....I'm not a doctor or a lawyer so my opinion is worth nothing on this matter. If you have follow up records from your own doctor about the treatment and lack of active bacteria you should get that. Then you can talk to the doctor at the clinic about the need for a more detailed test.
In addition, is the journey to Singapore on your own pocket money to be compensated latter "upon hiring"? Or are they covering the cost regardless? In my view if the former then not telling them is less of an ethical issue...if the latter, and you fail, then it is.
I'm sure that they are not "forced to hire you" if you fail the exam...that's probably n the contract and why you haven't been sent the contract already. It's most likely provisional "upon passage of the medical check-up and awarding of the visa".
If you are really concerned about this go to a clinic in your own country and get tested with the appropriate test...pay for it if necessary, and get the medical document to show to the doctor in Singapore.
Old Mar 16th 2018, 2:41 am
Just Joined

sanc1337 is an unknown quantity at this point

^ yup that is important. They're not forced to hire you, I mean if you can't stay here because of a fail test then they can't get you a work visa like an E pass, you're not even allowed to be here.