Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Will I fail the required medical for an ep if I had syphilis in the past ?

Will I fail the required medical for an ep if I had syphilis in the past ?

Old May 9th 2015, 5:17 pm
Just Joined

Revinkenz73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Will I fail the required medical for an ep if I had syphilis in the past ?

Hi

I've been offered a new job in Singapore!
I'm currently residing in the UK.

An ex girlfriend infected me with syphilis, which I had treated straight away.
But my concern is that I will be required to undertake a medical once I arrive in Singapore and the blood tests will show as a positive result?

Will I loose my right to work there and have my ep cancelled?

Are all required to undertake medical which include these blood tests?
Is there anyway I can explain the situation to the mom?

I would very much appreciate any help or advice anyone can give.

Thank you.
Old May 10th 2015, 6:48 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will I fail the required medical for an ep if I had syphilis in the past ?

Originally Posted by Revinkenz73
But my concern is that I will be required to undertake a medical once I arrive in Singapore
What gives you that idea?

BTW....welcome to the forum What work will you be doing in Singapore?
Old May 10th 2015, 7:51 am
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will I fail the required medical for an ep if I had syphilis in the past ?

Hi there,

If you're here on an EP (employment pass), IIRC, the tests you'll require are for HIV and and Chest X-Ray for TB. If you're here on a WP (work permit), you'll need a VDRL on top of the above (again, from memory - I know for a fact the foreign domestic workers' work permits include the VDRL)

The good news is, however, EVEN if you need a VDRL for whatever reason (eg healthcare worker), a positive test isn't an automatic cancellation. You'll be asked to do a TPHA test, which is a follow up test to check for the "activity" or "status" of the syphilis infection.

VDRL positive but TPHA negative may mean that you have a false positive for syphilis testing (ie. No big deal, carry on with life as usual haha). If your VDRL is negative from the word go, that means you've been successfully treated and are now disease free.

I really wouldn't worry too much.

Good luck!
Old May 10th 2015, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

Revinkenz73 is an unknown quantity at this point

Xizzles

Thank you very much for your advice, much appreciated!
It's been worrying me like crazy as I will be leaving a great job here in the UK and my worry was that I fail the medical once I'm there and end up with no work.
Do you think it would be a good idea to obtain a report from my doctor here in the uk showing the test results I've had?

Thanks once again, I am looking forward to a new start and life in Singapore.
Old May 10th 2015, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Revinkenz73
Xizzles

Thank you very much for your advice, much appreciated!
It's been worrying me like crazy as I will be leaving a great job here in the UK and my worry was that I fail the medical once I'm there and end up with no work.
Do you think it would be a good idea to obtain a report from my doctor here in the uk showing the test results I've had?

Thanks once again, I am looking forward to a new start and life in Singapore.
Hi Revinkenz73, you're welcome. Glad I could help a little to sooth your nerves.

Yes, a report from your GP would be ideal, I f your GP could write you a note to that effect! You'll be fine, mate. Just look forward to a new start in Singapore. I did, 20 years ago, and never looked back since.
Old Feb 1st 2016, 1:30 am
Just Joined

Sean1990 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by xizzles
Hi Revinkenz73, you're welcome. Glad I could help a little to sooth your nerves.

Yes, a report from your GP would be ideal, I f your GP could write you a note to that effect! You'll be fine, mate. Just look forward to a new start in Singapore. I did, 20 years ago, and never looked back since.
Hi there.. I have situation with Revinkenz. Does this mean I can also work in UK even i had past syphilis infection? Well VDRL is nonreactive but TPHa will remain positive forever..
Old Feb 1st 2016, 1:33 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sean1990
Hi there.. I have situation with Revinkenz. Does this mean I can also work in UK even i had past syphilis infection? Well VDRL is nonreactive but TPHa will remain positive forever..
I actually have an offer to work in UK and its buggin me thinking i might fail the medical. Is UK strict to foreign worker who had past syphilis infection?
Old Feb 1st 2016, 2:59 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I actually have an offer to work in UK and its buggin me thinking i might fail the medical. Is UK strict to foreign worker who had past syphilis infection?
This thread is about someone seeking work in Singapore not in the UK.
Old Feb 1st 2016, 6:17 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
This thread is about someone seeking work in Singapore not in the UK.
im just asking. Same situation but different country.
Old Feb 1st 2016, 7:23 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

im just asking. Same situation but different country.
The rules are likely to be very different, thats the point I'm making. So even if its OK in Singapore that has no rlevance to nursing in the UK. the situation is quite possibly even different for a migrant to the UK as opposed to a UK national already working there.

The answer for the UK is now on your other thread

Last edited by Pollyana; Feb 1st 2016 at 7:39 am.
Old Feb 1st 2016, 8:19 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The rules are likely to be very different, thats the point I'm making. So even if its OK in Singapore that has no rlevance to nursing in the UK. the situation is quite possibly even different for a migrant to the UK as opposed to a UK national already working there.

The answer for the UK is now on your other thread
got your point.. i hope someone would confirm it right here.. thanks