Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Where to live nad how much in Singapore

Where to live nad how much in Singapore

Old Jul 27th 2014, 11:05 pm
Just Joined

paolo12345 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to live nad how much in Singapore

Dear all,
I have recevied a relocation offering but need to understand how good it is based on cost of real estate.

I'll move with my wife and a 2,5 year old baby.

my wish are:
- an European style house (1000 Sq. f. , or 100 Sq. M.) in a good area
- 3 Bedrooms
- near internation kinden garden / hospital school
- if possible some green would be great

my job will be:
- Airport for Shanghai / Tokio / HK /....
- office in North Bridge Road Raffles City Tower ,Singapore

I'd like to know witch area is the best, and how much I'll gone pay.
Due to the fact that rent cost will be part of the job offering, I'm considering free to have no compromize (ok.. not 50.000 $ per month..)

thanks
Paolo
Old Jul 28th 2014, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live nad how much in Singapore

Originally Posted by paolo12345
Dear all,
I have recevied a relocation offering but need to understand how good it is based on cost of real estate.

my wish are:
- 3 Bedrooms

my job will be:

Due to the fact that rent cost will be part of the job offering, I'm considering free to have no compromize (ok.. not 50.000 $ per month..)

thanks
Paolo
You have posted an almost identical post on the Hong Kong Forum
Old Jul 28th 2014, 5:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by hong_konger
You have posted an almost identical post on the Hong Kong Forum
Yes, becouse destination could be hi or Singapore . I have to decide and cost of living and house is critical.
If you could give me hints.
Thanks

Paolo
Old Jul 28th 2014, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

A recent survey showed Singapore to be the most expensive city in the world.
But all these surveys are flawed.

For me you get more for your money in Singapore in the housing market.

Can't say one area in Singapore is better than another if you compare properties of the same rent.
Areas are better generally because the rent is that much higer.

Although there is haze in both Singapore and HK perhaps it is worse in HK.

I've always though HK is better for singles. Singapore for families but that can be a very personal opinion.

REally your queries are too difficult to answer
Old Jul 28th 2014, 10:44 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ex reg
A recent survey showed Singapore to be the most expensive city in the world.
But all these surveys are flawed.

For me you get more for your money in Singapore in the housing market.

Can't say one area in Singapore is better than another if you compare properties of the same rent.
Areas are better generally because the rent is that much higer.

Although there is haze in both Singapore and HK perhaps it is worse in HK.

I've always though HK is better for singles. Singapore for families but that can be a very personal opinion.

REally your queries are too difficult to answer
thanks a lot,
If you would need to put a budget for that how much would you consider?
Old Jul 28th 2014, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

1000 sq ft would be considered on the small side for 3 beds 1300 more usual and easier to find. That's for apartments. Houses at that size might be few and far between.
Of course you can get much larger.
You could be looking at anything from S$3000 pm at the low and to S$5000 for average to well up to S$20,000pm or higher for the top end.
Personally I'd budget S$6000pm if the company was paying and you'd be happy, I expect.
Will the company pay the tax on the accomodation because it is taxed as part of your overall package no matter who pays for it.

I see hong_konger has answered you for that country and he is much more up to date than I am.
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

StevenH72 is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know what the situation is like in HK, but I'd imagine a big factor contributing to Singapore's expensive status would be the cost of owning a car.

I'm moving over in January, and am not planning to own a car. Rent is obviously a lot more than most parts of the UK, but other than that I don't think the cost of living looks to be too outrageous (from what i've read anyway).

We're looking for a 2 bed apartment 750-1000 SQF in a central location and am budgeting S$5K. I know that isn't what you're looking to get, but might give you an indication.
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

MickG24 is a splendid one to beholdMickG24 is a splendid one to beholdMickG24 is a splendid one to beholdMickG24 is a splendid one to beholdMickG24 is a splendid one to beholdMickG24 is a splendid one to beholdMickG24 is a splendid one to beholdMickG24 is a splendid one to beholdMickG24 is a splendid one to beholdMickG24 is a splendid one to beholdMickG24 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by paolo12345
Dear all,

my wish are:
- 3 Bedrooms

my job will be:

thanks
Paolo
You will be doing amazingly well to get that sort of house in SG, no matter who is paying. Foreigners aren't even allowed to own one and the rental prices are sky-high. Much better chance of a condo, 3 bed, near kindergarten and somewhere green which will all be very easy. Hospitals are mainly in the centre of SG - Raffles, KKK, etc, but as its so small travel will not be an issue there, same with access to the airport.

Working at Raffles City Tower your main concern will be getting there at peak periods - the public transport will be packed. Great area for lunch and dinner options though!
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 1:58 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Is that true that foreigners are no longer allowed to buy houses in Singapore? When did that change? No wonder folks are buying across the border then.
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

As I understand it on Sentosa anyone can buy anything.

On 'the mailand' then to buy landed you have to get special dispensation.
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 2:15 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Yes that's what I understood exReg, that you have to get permission but IS possible. Not that I am thinking about it.

Had to chuckle a bit when you said Mainland.
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

MickG24 is a splendid one to beholdMickG24 is a splendid one to beholdMickG24 is a splendid one to beholdMickG24 is a splendid one to beholdMickG24 is a splendid one to beholdMickG24 is a splendid one to beholdMickG24 is a splendid one to beholdMickG24 is a splendid one to beholdMickG24 is a splendid one to beholdMickG24 is a splendid one to beholdMickG24 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Yes that's what I understood exReg, that you have to get permission but IS possible. Not that I am thinking about it.

Had to chuckle a bit when you said Mainland.
Yes, only on Sentosa. But who can afford to live there?
Old Aug 4th 2014, 1:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

as a foreigner you cannot buy landed property (houses) except on sentosa.
You can buy apartments.