Weekend in Singapore

Old Jul 11th 2008, 1:39 am

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Weekend in Singapore

Hi there,

My Mum is flying out to Perth for a holiday and I'm meeting her in Singapore for a long weekend.

I just wondered if anyone had any 'insider secrets' on bars to visit with great views / locations, or any 'must do's that don't necessarily feature in the guide books?

I've booked afternoon tea at Raffles already (as we love that sort of thing). Would like to do the cable car, observation wheel and the shopping.

Any insider tips would be greatly appreciated. I've booked accommodation at the Mandarin Oriental.

Thanks in advance

Jules x
Old Jul 11th 2008, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weekend in Singapore

You've just about covered it all

A meal in the Banana leaf in Little India unless you have that in Perth which I know you do for seafood and stuff.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 11:00 am

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex reg
You've just about covered it all

A meal in the Banana leaf in Little India unless you have that in Perth which I know you do for seafood and stuff.
Do you know of any bars in the hotels with nice views? There are lots in Hong Kong with cool views of the harbour - just wondered if there was anything similar in Singapore that I could take out a mortgage for a round of drinks

Thanks for the banana leaf recommendation.

Jules x
Old Jul 11th 2008, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julesandco
Do you know of any bars in the hotels with nice views? There are lots in Hong Kong with cool views of the harbour - just wondered if there was anything similar in Singapore that I could take out a mortgage for a round of drinks

Jules x
Used to be the Compass Rose at the top of the tall hotel opposite to Raffles. Tallest hotel bar in the world or used to be.
Haven't been 'up it' for 20 years or so.
A meal at the Top of the M revolving restaurant in Orchard Rd also has good views although the food is so so.

The revolving restaurant in the Prima Tower is also good for the view and the chinese food.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 11:13 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

The old Compass Rose is atop the Swissotel Stamford which is attached to Raffles City Shopping Centre. 72 floors up, IIRC (I've also partied on the roof, on the helipad!).

http://www.swissotel.com/EN/Destinat...el+Description

One bar up there is the New Asia Bar which gets clubby later on, youngish crowd, relatively good Happy Hour prices. Next door is called City Space- that's more of a grown-up jazz lounge, piano & singer, waitresses in long sequined frocks, type thing. That one has the better views, IMHO, but bigger prices and the window seats soon get taken. There is also a restaurant up there, the Equinox. City Space is my favourite and where I used to take all our guests.

My advice, if you want to go there, is to go around 5pm, fairly smart - men must have long trousers, shirt sleeves I think, and definitely no sandals. You'll be appraised by the door staff at ground level before you're even allowed in the lift.

You might want to take a look at this thread:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ight=singapore

We've just booked our annual trip to the UK so will be having our own first Singapore stopover in September; will seem weird.

edited to add: Um, Jules, sorry, IMHO the afternoon tea at Raffles is one of the worst. If you're going because it's Raffles, fair enough, but don't expect a relaxed atmosphere or good food. It really is just for the tourists. I'd recommend the Goodwood Park Hotel - small but perfectly formed - or the Shangri La on Orange Grove Road - 99 teas! Go to Raffles Hotel for a Singapore Sling in the courtyard if you just want to soak up some of its atmosphere; you can walk through the lobby and take photos anyway.

Last edited by Kooky.; Jul 11th 2008 at 11:18 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by Seasider
The old Compass Rose is atop the Swissotel Stamford which is attached to Raffles City Shopping Centre. 72 floors up, IIRC (I've also partied on the roof, on the helipad!).

http://www.swissotel.com/EN/Destinat...el+Description

One bar up there is the New Asia Bar which gets clubby later on, youngish crowd, relatively good Happy Hour prices. Next door is called City Space- that's more of a grown-up jazz lounge, piano & singer, waitresses in long sequined frocks, type thing. That one has the better views, IMHO, but bigger prices and the window seats soon get taken. There is also a restaurant up there, the Equinox. City Space is my favourite and where I used to take all our guests.

My advice, if you want to go there, is to go around 5pm, fairly smart - men must have long trousers, shirt sleeves I think, and definitely no sandals. You'll be appraised by the door staff at ground level before you're even allowed in the lift.

You might want to take a look at this thread:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ight=singapore

We've just booked our annual trip to the UK so will be having our own first Singapore stopover in September; will seem weird.

edited to add: Um, Jules, sorry, IMHO the afternoon tea at Raffles is one of the worst. If you're going because it's Raffles, fair enough, but don't expect a relaxed atmosphere or good food. It really is just for the tourists. I'd recommend the Goodwood Park Hotel - small but perfectly formed - or the Shangri La on Orange Grove Road - 99 teas! Go to Raffles Hotel for a Singapore Sling in the courtyard if you just want to soak up some of its atmosphere; you can walk through the lobby and take photos anyway.
Hi Seasider,

Thanks for the info.

I've only really booked Raffles, because it's Raffles! OH and I went on our Honeymoon and Mum and I used to have afternoon tea's every Xmas as a treat - so it's kind of our thing to 'do them and rate them'

I've also booked the Regent for an afternoon tea - do you have any views on that one? I'd be interested if you think that the Shangri La is better - I've just looked on their website and the afternoon tea lounge is being refurbed until Sept.

Thanks, so much for your help. When will you be in Sing? We're there on 20 - 24th Sept. Can't wait!!!

Jules x
Old Jul 12th 2008, 5:49 am
Account Closed

katongkaren is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by julesandco

Jules x
If you want some cheaper drinkies, try along the Esplanade (close to where you're staying I think) plenty of bars with views. Boat Quay and Robertson Quay along the river has tons of bars and eateries - yeh it's a bit touristy but still nice.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 9:21 am

Thanks again

Jules x
Old Jul 12th 2008, 10:59 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I love Afternoon Tea too I had to stop doing it often due to food allergies but it's still a lovely way to spend an afternoon. We used to do tea and then go up to the top of the Stamford for a glass of bubbly or three to watch the sun go down.

I haven't been to one at The Regent, sorry. BTW the Four Seasons does a very good buffet lunch, not sure about Afternoon Tea but you could check.

Have you done a Sunday Champagne Brunch? My favourite was always the Grand Hyatt; on the forum I ran we organised loads and often went off to try new ones then gravitated back to the Hyatt. Often started there at 11.30am and ended up in Orchard Towers until about 1am, via the Hyatt's Martini Bar. Ritz Carlton also has a good rep, Fullerton supposed to be good with kids, and before I left we also started doing them at Senso, a great little Italian restaurant on Club Street - less choice but good quality food, a la minute pasta course, prosecco not champagne (but I love prosecco) and lower priced than the big hotels. (Don't bother with Raffles Sunday Brunch; it's pants.)

We'll overlap! We're there 19-21 Sept and my friend is organising brunch for 21st; not yet sure where.

Disclaimer: I have no financial interest in Senso
Old Jul 13th 2008, 7:19 am
Account Closed

katongkaren is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Seasider
Oh I love Afternoon Tea too I had to stop doing it often due to food allergies but it's still a lovely way to spend an afternoon. We used to do tea and then go up to the top of the Stamford for a glass of bubbly or three to watch the sun go down.

I haven't been to one at The Regent, sorry. BTW the Four Seasons does a very good buffet lunch, not sure about Afternoon Tea but you could check.

Have you done a Sunday Champagne Brunch? My favourite was always the Grand Hyatt; on the forum I ran we organised loads and often went off to try new ones then gravitated back to the Hyatt. Often started there at 11.30am and ended up in Orchard Towers until about 1am, via the Hyatt's Martini Bar. Ritz Carlton also has a good rep, Fullerton supposed to be good with kids, and before I left we also started doing them at Senso, a great little Italian restaurant on Club Street - less choice but good quality food, a la minute pasta course, prosecco not champagne (but I love prosecco) and lower priced than the big hotels. (Don't bother with Raffles Sunday Brunch; it's pants.)

We'll overlap! We're there 19-21 Sept and my friend is organising brunch for 21st; not yet sure where.

Disclaimer: I have no financial interest in Senso

Blimey, think we'd all have to diet for several weeks after doing all the above - phew
Old Jul 13th 2008, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

djoerk is a jewel in the roughdjoerk is a jewel in the roughdjoerk is a jewel in the roughdjoerk is a jewel in the rough

May I join this grub 'n bubbley Fest? (Life too short for diets anymore!)

Intend to fly to KL around those dates - could stop over in Singapore (where I was born) for a meet if you do not mind.

If OK with "The Committee" - just tell me which Hotel to book in where we could even have a preprandial or three.

Best wishes
Old Jul 13th 2008, 10:36 am
Auntie Fa

djoerk, you'd be most welcome! Can you chase me about it nearer the time?

karen - yup, had to leave Sg for the sake of my waistline...and liver
Old Jul 13th 2008, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

Alan Wales is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
My husband Alan and I have just visited Singapore for the first time, for a weekend. We went to Raffles to the Long Bar, and had a Singapore Sling....more expensive than any other bar, but then it is Raffles.
We found Chijmes interesting. It is a former convent, now the cloisters and courtyard house a variety of restaurants offering a wide range of menus to suit any taste; from asian to western, very nice atmosphere....close by Raffles.
The Singapore Flyer is a must, the views are fantastic.....if it is clear enough you can see the coastline of Indonesia, and tremendous views of the whole city.
We took an open top bus from by the Singapore Flyer, which takes you around the city and just gives an overview of the place, if you haven't been there before you may find it interesting to do, and helpful to give you ideas on where you may want to return to.
For atmosphere and 'people watching' which is one of my favourite pastimes, go down to the quayside, just as the sun sets. There is a wide range of restaurants and bars along the quayside, offering reasonably priced menus, again to cover any taste.
Hope this helps, and hope you and your mum have a fantastic weekend.
Sandy

Last edited by Alan Wales; Jul 13th 2008 at 2:02 pm. Reason: addition of more information
Old Jul 13th 2008, 11:08 pm
Auntie Fa

Just a tip, although I may have put it on the linked thread - if you do want a Sling, ask for it to be made up with fresh ingredients. I don't drink them (way too sweet for me) but a bar manager friend told me they taste much better than the mixer stuff they usually get out of a bottle. At those prices, you really do have the right.